Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   200M : IP Address Change - VM internal routing changes? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704651)

JayAy 22-03-2017 17:10

IP Address Change - VM internal routing changes?

My IP address changed yesterday for the first time since December 2015, but along with the address changed I've also apparently moved form from Hertfordshire to Lancashire. If I use speedtest.net it's suggesting the closest VM speed test server to me is Manchester, rather than Luton as previously. If I do a geolocate I'm hitting the internet in Preston rather than St Albans, as previously. Anyone know what's going on?

Paul 22-03-2017 20:02

Re: IP Address Change - VM internal routing changes?

You are still on the "heme" UBR's (which I assume is Hemel Hempstead).

Geolocate is not a particularly accurate system.

Kushan 23-03-2017 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayAy (Post 35891221)
My IP address changed yesterday for the first time since December 2015, but along with the address changed I've also apparently moved form from Hertfordshire to Lancashire. If I use speedtest.net it's suggesting the closest VM speed test server to me is Manchester, rather than Luton as previously. If I do a geolocate I'm hitting the internet in Preston rather than St Albans, as previously. Anyone know what's going on?

Your new IP address was probably once allocated to someone in Lancahsire. IP's are not geographic in the slightest, they can move around all the time and any kind of Location service based off of IP addresses is going to get it wildly wrong if it's information isn't up to date - and said information isn't always easy to come by because ISP's don't make a habit of publicly posting their internal network configurations.

JayAy 23-03-2017 22:38

Thanks for the responses.

JayAy 06-04-2017 20:55

Yippee I've moved again! My IP is now relocated itself to the right part of the country.:)

Kushan 07-04-2017 14:03

Has your IP address actually changed, or just where the location of it is listed?

JayAy 09-04-2017 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35893685)
Has your IP address actually changed, or just where the location of it is listed?

The second location change was just that, no related IP address change, unlike the with the first.

Rik 13-04-2017 05:08

IP change here in Hemel Hempstead as well, and after 6 months of awful sub par speeds, looks like VM have finally delivered the goods and getting 25MB/s all the time now, maybe even time to upgrade back to 300Mb :)

Good Job VM on sorting out the issue when you said you would, only downside is no more credits on my account and got to start paying :D :D