Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Superhub 2 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686219)

jempalmer 28-11-2012 02:39

Re: Superhub 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35503133)
annoyed at the fact so many problems have occured. right or wrong the impact of hand being forced in someway should of at least seen a stable firmware long before the recent improvements.

Is it that much better? I'm not on R37.

thenry 28-11-2012 02:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35503034)
it looked like the superhub is now but with tiny leds and a matt finish

thats surprising. i would of thought the hardware had some form of focus point to be smaller or build to fit in a more attractive case. whats the point in having same cases, new shouldnt be an exact same styling of an older product. having said that id take the same shell style for better hardware qaulity etc.

---------- Post added at 02:47 ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jempalmer (Post 35503134)
Is it that much better? I'm not on R37.

I was comparing to all the earlier bodged firmwares.

jempalmer 28-11-2012 02:58

What leads you to suppose that R37 isn't as borked as the previous versions? Is it stable?

thenry 28-11-2012 03:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by umbrokhan786 (Post 35503076)
super hub 2 coming out after Xmaz and new year. that's what I heard.
1) when superhub 2 comes out after new year 2013 will all the VM customers get it or do we have to buy it?

someone give more details on this.

VM wont replace all SH1s with SH2s. VM took the hit replacing all older kit already. The SH1 can function even if its not high end. If it doesn't meet the needs of customers then theres modem mode so you can link whatever choice of compatible router you wish. I know someone living in a pretty big house running the SH1 in combo mode with no problems, I don't know how. Bottom line each to their own.

Long answer short yes you'll probably be asked to pay a fee if you request a SH2.

---------- Post added at 03:02 ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jempalmer (Post 35503141)
What leads you to suppose that R37 isn't as borked as the previous versions? Is it stable?

It'll have bugs and room for improvement thats for sure but nothing like what was before. If you compare what was to what is now it is a lot stable.

---------- Post added at 03:09 ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RB2004 (Post 35503129)
Community trials are related to something new

I was contacted by the forum team 5 days before they announced the survey asking for trialists which they only did on 27th, and was told I'd been hand picked and reserved a place.

Then when I filled in the survey it was asking for my home address.

So presumably they are gonna send out something.

yeah got that myself too. heres hope that we get the SH2 to trial :tu: then keep :D

someone did get a little too excited though sending the first message with no link :LOL: is that a good sign or just a repeat of something similar to everyones getting 120meg.

jempalmer 28-11-2012 03:12

OK mate, I shall await the SH2 :D Can't wait until we get out of this contract. Then we'll have Infinity. VM for TV and BT for BB.

thenry 28-11-2012 03:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35503079)
i think it is hilarious that they havent been able to fix all the issues with the first pme before they release the second one.

In all seriousness the most important question I have is whether shub2 will have modem mode. I know some peeps might think that it doesnt need it but given VMs/Netgears track record with the shub why not edge on the side of caution just in case. They would win some respect if they used their initiative and put it in without us having to beg. Shows they listen and care.

The SH1 will get there I suspect. To be honest I don't understand why the firmware problems have taken so long to fix. Whether or not the SH was forced out somethings not right ? We're supposedly talking highly skilled coders or is it really that lone monkey I found.

'My opinion' is that modem mode will be within SH2.

---------- Post added at 03:50 ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35503011)
ive seen a few pictures of the prototype and by the looks of it it does infact have a usb port and can do dual band wifi

apologies mate i didnt see this post until now. I was told about the ducks mouth too which simultaneously erupted in happiness :D

i need to get out more https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/11/4.gif

Milambar 28-11-2012 05:05

The only feature I care about is...

Bug Free.

jb66 28-11-2012 08:05

it uses a new psu, that will be fun and games with daft installers trying to use existing ones, least they wont be noisy anymore

Sephiroth 28-11-2012 09:08

Just so most people know why who knows what (!!!), the clue to the new SH is through this Googled link: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...wNCshylvA2Dv-w

It's tempting to offer comment - but maybe lessons learned have been applied. Like don't mess with the firmware; don't slug the thing!

When I get my trial box, I'll come off modem mode (after a couple of days) and give the thing a proper run in router mode, though I'll slave the Airport Extreme (Bridge mode) just to do something possibly different from other triallists.

dave.m 28-11-2012 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35503169)
it uses a new psu, that will be fun and games with daft installers trying to use existing ones, least they wont be noisy anymore

You hope.

I'd like to see a reduced power footprint if operating in modem mode. If it uses more than SH1 it will be a backwards step.

qasdfdsaq 28-11-2012 10:28

Huh, another VMDG485. I remember the last one that didn't materialize, based on the exact same information...

Shame they ditched Huawei, though with "N750" wireless it seems a cut above average.

robson689 28-11-2012 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35503214)
Huh, another VMDG485. I remember the last one that didn't materialize, based on the exact same information...

Shame they ditched Huawei, though with "N750" wireless it seems a cut above average.

If you go to Start -> Network, the Super Hub thinks it is a VMDG485.

http://d.pr/i/wLSV

Sephiroth 28-11-2012 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by robson689 (Post 35503223)
If you go to Start -> Network, the Super Hub thinks it is a VMDG485.

http://d.pr/i/wLSV

?? Huh?

Chrysalis 28-11-2012 11:05

I hope themry is right I think was a huge design fault to have cables at the large back area, instead of narrow side, think of most small sized electronic devices, phones, routers, modem etc. Think where cable placement is on those devices.

morley04 28-11-2012 11:12

I completed the survey yesterday but have no idea how I came across it. was it emailed or something?