Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Superhub 2 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686219)

jb66 25-07-2012 07:40

Re: Superhub 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by umbrokhan786 (Post 35456199)
What features would you like to see in the next superhub 2 or 3?

Simultaneous Dual Band
Gigabit WiFi
Up to 450 (2.4Ghz) + 1300Mbps (5Ghz) for speeds up to 1750Mbps

better WiFi coverage throughout your home
USB ports
Router that Features Torrent App
external aerial so you can upgrade it in the future
5 Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
Double firewall protection
Denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
Security WPA/WPA2—PSK

Be realistic, your not gong to get USB.

But dual band and wifi range is a must

TAZMANUK 25-07-2012 12:37

Id like to see a/c range dual band snd option to have usb only to allow hard drives to be hooked up to stream share etc or a super xl hub at a more cost to have a built on hard drive onboard the hub to download to hub

qasdfdsaq 25-07-2012 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35456209)

Even the 10-year-old budget WRT54G was USB capable.

techguyone 25-07-2012 13:11

I'd be happy with a wi-fi range of more than 15 feet.

Sephiroth 25-07-2012 13:42

You are all prepared to pay for some of the high end stuff you're suggesting?

Not that such willingness will stir VM to liberate the situation. You can always buy your own high end router and use modem mode. What's wrong with that?

adduxi 25-07-2012 14:09

More or less a repeat of what I posted over on the VM Help Forums .....

There would be nothing better than a really good solid cable modem for those who want one.
I can't believe VM would object to the simple business model of 2 choices;

1 - SuperHub (sic) and all the associated Helpdesk costs that go with this type of equipment.

2 - Cable Modem, no help supplied and all networking is the users responsibility. Simples.... (Nod to Seph!!)

Sometimes the simplest things in life are better :)

TAZMANUK 25-07-2012 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35456301)
You are all prepared to pay for some of the high end stuff you're suggesting?

Not that such willingness will stir VM to liberate the situation. You can always buy your own high end router and use modem mode. What's wrong with that?

Already have netgear wndr4500

Stephen 25-07-2012 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35456209)

Who says? USB isn't exactly a high cost option now. I wouldn't be surprised if the SH2 end up coming with at least one USB port.

I would want a better wireless arial, I personally don't have any issues with my wifi connection but there are of course people out there that do.

Maybe they could even build in a voip phone line so that people no longer need a physical landline installed.

jb66 25-07-2012 18:04

they havent even enabled usb on the stbs. virgin would want the thing to be as minimalistic as possible, i cant see them training techs on attatching usb hdds etc

Boabyboy 25-07-2012 20:44

My ideal SuperHub 2 would be VM to have a relationship with D-Link to manufacture a combined DOCSIS cable modem with an integrated DIR-655 wifi N gigabit router all in one. That would be a serious router/cable modem hybrid with upgradable antennas and also included with the hybrid is all of the whizz & bells features of the DIR-655 firmware. Awesome. Doubt the BT HomeHub can beat that?

Skie 25-07-2012 22:24

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...l#post35456401

Quote:

Got an early upgrade today and unfortunately had to let my vmng300 go but I got a matte superhub which I think looks nicer than the shiny ones, tho I suppose its just another cost cutting measure.

Peter_ 25-07-2012 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skie (Post 35456487)

It has been posted elsewhere but it is still the VMND480 it just has a matte case nothing more, if the was a replacement it would have arrived with fanfares and multiple posts over every forum but sadly it is still the Superhub 1, as for Superhub 2 that was canned last year and the purported Superhub 3 has also failed to raise its head.

They probably decided that giving it external antennas was not aesthetically pleasing which was part of the actual remit for Superhub 3 it must be pleasing on the eye as they do not care if it works as it must look nice which will be why the present device has 2 stamp sized antenna inside the case at the back.

Jayster 25-07-2012 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35456490)
It has been posted elsewhere but it is still the VMND480 it just has a matte case nothing more, if the was a replacement it would have arrived with fanfares and multiple posts over every forum but sadly it is still the Superhub 1, as for Superhub 2 that was canned last year and the purported Superhub 3 has also failed to raise its head.

Indeed it is exactly the same as every other sh I have seen just a matte case which I believe is to save money.

thenry 27-11-2012 20:17

I forgot about posting this, it could be wrong it could correct? During a conversation I had with 'someone' I was told VM are annoyed by this current SH1 crap and have made changes so the SH2 is much better. The design is different including the ports which will be on the side. I was told a little more but I'll refrain saying too much just yet. Can anyone confirm or share anything SH2?

jb66 27-11-2012 20:31

ive seen a few pictures of the prototype and by the looks of it it does infact have a usb port and can do dual band wifi