Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Superhub 2 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686219)

jb66 10-03-2012 21:05

Superhub 2

What features would you like to see in the next superhub?

Sirius 10-03-2012 21:08

Re: Superhub 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35397249)

Simple i want a modem not a hub. they have tried it once it does not do what they intended it to do according to most users.

All they need do is issue a modem and then ensure that the only support given is to the modem. If there is a issue with the customers router then it is the customers responsibility to get it fixed.

morley04 10-03-2012 21:28

agreed

Sephiroth 10-03-2012 22:12

Full event log data.

Full stats including correctables/uncorrectables. Cynically suppressed in the current SH.

paulsouth 10-03-2012 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35397249)

i want 900mbits on it for every one

cookdn 10-03-2012 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35397251)
Simple i want a modem not a hub. they have tried it once it does not do what they intended it to do according to most users.

All they need do is issue a modem and then ensure that the only support given is to the modem. If there is a issue with the customers router then it is the customers responsibility to get it fixed.

I agree but this isn't going to happen as the mass-market now expects a hub.

Maybe a strategy would be to develop a new business orientated modem-router as this market is not interested in a hub. I know that the reason they have moved from modems to the business variant of the super-hub (BSHUB?) is so that they can provide static addressing via L2TP for business customers. I cannot see why this cannot be a hardware device that focuses on core functionality at the expense of consumer orientated hub features such as firewalls and wireless. This could be then become an requestable option to more technically minded non-business customers who would rather provide their own solution.

The issue for VM would be that technical support for the consumer market would have to handle two devices and they are clearly attempting to consolidate onto a single standard device.

Best regards
David

Hugh 10-03-2012 22:23

Give customers the choice between a hub and a modem - hub for most consumers, modem for prosumers.

One size obviously does not fit all.

Andrewcrawford23 10-03-2012 22:26

i think they shoudl develop a staratgy that amkes the superhub 2 teh hub and is thre default for all cusotmer but.... and big but

i think they should maybe either have off the shelf modem only or one they have coinfigured so people who do not want the superhub would ahve alternative that they probally pay for so in adsl example

you sing up for isp get adsl rotuer with modem and rotuer you dnt like it so by a new one yoru self and plug it in

only problem is virign wont allow oyu to do that so by them having a modem that they knwo themself they sell it to the costs but ti remains there property and when the cusotmer leaves they ge the money refunded so it be like buying oyur own adsl rotuer but in this case i you leave you get your money back and virign actively looks for it to be return or collects it

qasdfdsaq 10-03-2012 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35397296)
Give customers the choice between a hub and a modem - hub for most consumers, modem for prosumers.

One size obviously does not fit all.

What he said. Though that's kind of what they tried to do with "modem mode"

Though if they're going to force a Superhub 2 on customers, I'd like them to provide the equivalent of my Ultimate SuperHub mod as standard. And fix the seriously broken software bridging code.

cookdn 10-03-2012 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookdn (Post 35397295)
[....]Maybe a strategy would be to develop a new business orientated modem-router [....] I cannot see why this cannot be a hardware device that focuses on core functionality at the expense of consumer orientated hub features such as firewalls and wireless. This could be then become an requestable option to more technically minded non-business customers who would rather provide their own solution. [....]

Sorry to reply to my own post. VM could market this as a SOHO (business-lite) solution at a modest premium over the consumer tariffs. I for one would be willing to pay for a service more focused to my needs with a better quality (UK based?) level of support should I need it.

Apologies if I am dragging this off-topic.

Best regards
David

thenry 10-03-2012 22:30

BT infinity still install a stand alone modem so its as though VM have joined the all in one clang then got left behind or even mugged themselves.

Am I right in believing that when Sky, talktalk etc. fibre product come into play that they will have the stand alone modem fitted too?

Whats funny is whats written on router boxes, ADSL only and Cable only but now BT has put itself on the cable only boxes so what now, what was the plan? to let BT and those that use their line take over the router market too?

cookdn 10-03-2012 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35397303)
BT infinity still install a stand alone modem so its as though VM have joined the all in one clang then got left behind or even mugged themselves.

Am I right in believing that when Sky, talktalk etc. fibre product come into play that they will have the stand alone modem fitted too?

Whats funny is whats written on router boxes, ADSL only and Cable only but now BT has put itself on the cable only boxes so what now, what was the plan? to let BT and those that use their line take over the router market too?

The consumer home hub supplied by BT Retail does standard ADSL and VDSL for the BT Infinity (FTTC) service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Home_Hub). Openreach provides VDSL routers for business FTTC, the customer then has to provide a PPPoE router.

I imagine that the likes of TalkTalk will have to provide their own VDSL capable kit for home FTTC connections provided through BT Wholesale. I'm not sure how LLU providers such as Sky (Easynet) are going to do FTTC as the service at present depends on direct connectivity to their exchange equipment with the subscribers copper pair. They could go down the sub loop unbundling route, effectively unbundling at the street cabinet level, but that would get expensive very quickly (Openreach Doc).

Best regards
David

qasdfdsaq 10-03-2012 23:09

The BT stand alone modem is actually a router with the router disabled - the router is actually quite fast, robust and reliable, but requires a firmware hack to enable.

The BT stand alone router is actually a router with a built-in modem as well, so it's both ADSL and cable.

But the "Openreach fibre modem" as it's called is compulsory for all operators using BT Openreach FTTC infrastructure.

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookdn (Post 35397309)
The consumer home hub supplied by BT Retail does standard ADSL and VDSL for the BT Infinity (FTTC) service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Home_Hub). Openreach provides VDSL routers for business FTTC, the customer then has to provide a PPPoE router.

Wrong on both counts.

The Home Hub is not capable of VDSL. It requires an external modem for VDSL. Openreach supplies the external modem for all FTTC VDSL connections.

They also do not provide VDSL routers for business FTTC. The standard FTTC modem is supplied by Openreach for both. The ISP (not Openreach) optionally supplies a router for any and all connections. There is no distinction between business and residential.

cookdn 10-03-2012 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35397313)
Wrong on both counts.

The Home Hub is not capable of VDSL. It requires an external modem for VDSL. Openreach supplies the external modem for all FTTC VDSL connections.

They also do not provide VDSL routers for business FTTC. The standard FTTC modem is supplied by Openreach for both. The ISP (not Openreach) optionally supplies a router for any and all connections. There is no distinction between business and residential.

I stand corrected (on both counts) first a misunderstanding (maybe I'll clarify things a bit on the Wikipedia article), second a misnaming. ;)

I guess it should be easy for wholesale providers to supply PPPoE capable kit to work in-conjunction with the Openreach supplied VDSL modem. It is just the LLU providers that are a bit stuck without starting to make significant investments in new infrastructure.

Best regards
David

truthspeaker 25-07-2012 05:30

What features would you like to see in the next superhub 2 or 3?

Simultaneous Dual Band
Gigabit WiFi
Up to 450 (2.4Ghz) + 1300Mbps (5Ghz) for speeds up to 1750Mbps

better WiFi coverage throughout your home
USB ports
Router that Features Torrent App
external aerial so you can upgrade it in the future
5 Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
Double firewall protection
Denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
Security WPA/WPA2—PSK

jb66 25-07-2012 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by umbrokhan786 (Post 35456199)
What features would you like to see in the next superhub 2 or 3?

Simultaneous Dual Band
Gigabit WiFi
Up to 450 (2.4Ghz) + 1300Mbps (5Ghz) for speeds up to 1750Mbps

better WiFi coverage throughout your home
USB ports
Router that Features Torrent App
external aerial so you can upgrade it in the future
5 Gigabit Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology
Double firewall protection
Denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
Security WPA/WPA2—PSK

Be realistic, your not gong to get USB.

But dual band and wifi range is a must

TAZMANUK 25-07-2012 12:37

Id like to see a/c range dual band snd option to have usb only to allow hard drives to be hooked up to stream share etc or a super xl hub at a more cost to have a built on hard drive onboard the hub to download to hub

qasdfdsaq 25-07-2012 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35456209)

Even the 10-year-old budget WRT54G was USB capable.

techguyone 25-07-2012 13:11

I'd be happy with a wi-fi range of more than 15 feet.

Sephiroth 25-07-2012 13:42

You are all prepared to pay for some of the high end stuff you're suggesting?

Not that such willingness will stir VM to liberate the situation. You can always buy your own high end router and use modem mode. What's wrong with that?

adduxi 25-07-2012 14:09

More or less a repeat of what I posted over on the VM Help Forums .....

There would be nothing better than a really good solid cable modem for those who want one.
I can't believe VM would object to the simple business model of 2 choices;

1 - SuperHub (sic) and all the associated Helpdesk costs that go with this type of equipment.

2 - Cable Modem, no help supplied and all networking is the users responsibility. Simples.... (Nod to Seph!!)

Sometimes the simplest things in life are better :)

TAZMANUK 25-07-2012 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35456301)
You are all prepared to pay for some of the high end stuff you're suggesting?

Not that such willingness will stir VM to liberate the situation. You can always buy your own high end router and use modem mode. What's wrong with that?

Already have netgear wndr4500

Stephen 25-07-2012 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35456209)

Who says? USB isn't exactly a high cost option now. I wouldn't be surprised if the SH2 end up coming with at least one USB port.

I would want a better wireless arial, I personally don't have any issues with my wifi connection but there are of course people out there that do.

Maybe they could even build in a voip phone line so that people no longer need a physical landline installed.

jb66 25-07-2012 18:04

they havent even enabled usb on the stbs. virgin would want the thing to be as minimalistic as possible, i cant see them training techs on attatching usb hdds etc

Boabyboy 25-07-2012 20:44

My ideal SuperHub 2 would be VM to have a relationship with D-Link to manufacture a combined DOCSIS cable modem with an integrated DIR-655 wifi N gigabit router all in one. That would be a serious router/cable modem hybrid with upgradable antennas and also included with the hybrid is all of the whizz & bells features of the DIR-655 firmware. Awesome. Doubt the BT HomeHub can beat that?

Skie 25-07-2012 22:24

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...l#post35456401

Quote:

Got an early upgrade today and unfortunately had to let my vmng300 go but I got a matte superhub which I think looks nicer than the shiny ones, tho I suppose its just another cost cutting measure.

Peter_ 25-07-2012 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skie (Post 35456487)

It has been posted elsewhere but it is still the VMND480 it just has a matte case nothing more, if the was a replacement it would have arrived with fanfares and multiple posts over every forum but sadly it is still the Superhub 1, as for Superhub 2 that was canned last year and the purported Superhub 3 has also failed to raise its head.

They probably decided that giving it external antennas was not aesthetically pleasing which was part of the actual remit for Superhub 3 it must be pleasing on the eye as they do not care if it works as it must look nice which will be why the present device has 2 stamp sized antenna inside the case at the back.

Jayster 25-07-2012 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35456490)
It has been posted elsewhere but it is still the VMND480 it just has a matte case nothing more, if the was a replacement it would have arrived with fanfares and multiple posts over every forum but sadly it is still the Superhub 1, as for Superhub 2 that was canned last year and the purported Superhub 3 has also failed to raise its head.

Indeed it is exactly the same as every other sh I have seen just a matte case which I believe is to save money.

thenry 27-11-2012 20:17

I forgot about posting this, it could be wrong it could correct? During a conversation I had with 'someone' I was told VM are annoyed by this current SH1 crap and have made changes so the SH2 is much better. The design is different including the ports which will be on the side. I was told a little more but I'll refrain saying too much just yet. Can anyone confirm or share anything SH2?

jb66 27-11-2012 20:31

ive seen a few pictures of the prototype and by the looks of it it does infact have a usb port and can do dual band wifi

robson689 27-11-2012 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35503011)
ive seen a few pictures of the prototype and by the looks of it it does infact have a usb port and can do dual band wifi

That would be good, do you by any chance know if the new community trials are in regards to the new SH2?

thenry 27-11-2012 20:34

Quote:

are the ports on the side?

craig2k12 says...

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigj2k12
Suphub (VMDG485)/Netgear CG4000TD

Dual Band concurrent 2.4 and 5Ghz

Tested Spatial Streams

2.4ghz - 2 transmit & 2 receive
5ghz - 3 transmit & 3 receive

IEEE Standard
IEEE 802.11a
IEEE 802.11b
IEEE 802.11g
IEEE 802.11n
IEEE 802.11d
IEEE 802.11h

Optional 802.11n Capabilities
- Short Guard Interval
- TX A-MPDU
- STBC
- 40 MHz operation in 2.4 GHz
with coexistence mechanisms
- 40 MHz operation in 5 GHz

Security
WPA™ - Enterprise, Personal
WPA2™ - Enterprise, Personal

EAP Type(s)
EAP-TLS
EAP-TTLS/MSCHAPv2
PEAPv0/EAP-MSCHAPv2
PEAPv1/EAP-GTC
EAP-SIM
EAP-AKA
EAP-AKA Prime
EAP-FAST

Multimedia
WMM®
WMM Power Save

Special Features
Wi-Fi Protected Setup™
- PIN
- PBC
- Internal Registrar

Stephen 27-11-2012 20:51

It's not that VM are annoyed with the SH but like all product a new and improved version will be forthcoming.

jb66 27-11-2012 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35503021)
It's not that VM are annoyed with the SH but like all product a new and improved version will be forthcoming.

it looked like the superhub is now but with tiny leds and a matt finish

Sephiroth 27-11-2012 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35502998)
I forgot about posting this, it could be wrong it could correct? During a conversation I had with 'someone' I was told VM are annoyed by this current SH1 crap and have made changes so the SH2 is much better. The design is different including the ports which will be on the side. I was told a little more but I'll refrain saying too much just yet. Can anyone confirm or share anything SH2?

If you don't it's not much point to asking others to share!!

thenry 27-11-2012 21:49

:o:

Skie 27-11-2012 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35502998)

I can confirm you have not said much.

:D

truthspeaker 27-11-2012 23:24

super hub 2 coming out after Xmaz and new year. that's what I heard.
1) when superhub 2 comes out after new year 2013 will all the VM customers get it or do we have to buy it?

someone give more details on this.

Coffeeguy 27-11-2012 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35503043)
If you don't it's not much point to asking others to share!!

[OT] Nice one Seph, to the point ;) [/OT]

General Maximus 27-11-2012 23:33

i think it is hilarious that they havent been able to fix all the issues with the first pme before they release the second one.

In all seriousness the most important question I have is whether shub2 will have modem mode. I know some peeps might think that it doesnt need it but given VMs/Netgears track record with the shub why not edge on the side of caution just in case. They would win some respect if they used their initiative and put it in without us having to beg. Shows they listen and care.

qasdfdsaq 27-11-2012 23:39

Quote:

Didn't VM brag about how the Superhub is so futureproof it'll last all the way to 400Mb?

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35503079)
i think it is hilarious that they havent been able to fix all the issues with the first pme before they release the second one.

It runs eCos.

eCos is terrible.

Not much else to say really...

Sephiroth 27-11-2012 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by umbrokhan786 (Post 35503076)
1) when superhub 2 comes out after new year 2013 will all the VM customers get it or do we have to buy it?

thenry can give you the gen.

thenry 28-11-2012 00:53

:LOL:

RB2004 28-11-2012 02:09

Community trials are related to something new

I was contacted by the forum team 5 days before they announced the survey asking for trialists which they only did on 27th, and was told I'd been hand picked and reserved a place.

Then when I filled in the survey it was asking for my home address.

So presumably they are gonna send out something.

thenry 28-11-2012 02:36

Quote:

annoyed at the fact so many problems have occured. right or wrong the impact of hand being forced in someway should of at least seen a stable firmware long before the recent improvements.

jempalmer 28-11-2012 02:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35503133)
annoyed at the fact so many problems have occured. right or wrong the impact of hand being forced in someway should of at least seen a stable firmware long before the recent improvements.

Is it that much better? I'm not on R37.

thenry 28-11-2012 02:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35503034)
it looked like the superhub is now but with tiny leds and a matt finish

thats surprising. i would of thought the hardware had some form of focus point to be smaller or build to fit in a more attractive case. whats the point in having same cases, new shouldnt be an exact same styling of an older product. having said that id take the same shell style for better hardware qaulity etc.

---------- Post added at 02:47 ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jempalmer (Post 35503134)
Is it that much better? I'm not on R37.

I was comparing to all the earlier bodged firmwares.

jempalmer 28-11-2012 02:58

What leads you to suppose that R37 isn't as borked as the previous versions? Is it stable?

thenry 28-11-2012 03:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by umbrokhan786 (Post 35503076)

VM wont replace all SH1s with SH2s. VM took the hit replacing all older kit already. The SH1 can function even if its not high end. If it doesn't meet the needs of customers then theres modem mode so you can link whatever choice of compatible router you wish. I know someone living in a pretty big house running the SH1 in combo mode with no problems, I don't know how. Bottom line each to their own.

Long answer short yes you'll probably be asked to pay a fee if you request a SH2.

---------- Post added at 03:02 ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jempalmer (Post 35503141)
What leads you to suppose that R37 isn't as borked as the previous versions? Is it stable?

It'll have bugs and room for improvement thats for sure but nothing like what was before. If you compare what was to what is now it is a lot stable.

---------- Post added at 03:09 ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RB2004 (Post 35503129)
Community trials are related to something new

I was contacted by the forum team 5 days before they announced the survey asking for trialists which they only did on 27th, and was told I'd been hand picked and reserved a place.

Then when I filled in the survey it was asking for my home address.

So presumably they are gonna send out something.

yeah got that myself too. heres hope that we get the SH2 to trial :tu: then keep :D

someone did get a little too excited though sending the first message with no link :LOL: is that a good sign or just a repeat of something similar to everyones getting 120meg.

jempalmer 28-11-2012 03:12

OK mate, I shall await the SH2 :D Can't wait until we get out of this contract. Then we'll have Infinity. VM for TV and BT for BB.

thenry 28-11-2012 03:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35503079)

In all seriousness the most important question I have is whether shub2 will have modem mode. I know some peeps might think that it doesnt need it but given VMs/Netgears track record with the shub why not edge on the side of caution just in case. They would win some respect if they used their initiative and put it in without us having to beg. Shows they listen and care.

The SH1 will get there I suspect. To be honest I don't understand why the firmware problems have taken so long to fix. Whether or not the SH was forced out somethings not right ? We're supposedly talking highly skilled coders or is it really that lone monkey I found.

'My opinion' is that modem mode will be within SH2.

---------- Post added at 03:50 ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 ----------

Quote:

apologies mate i didnt see this post until now. I was told about the ducks mouth too which simultaneously erupted in happiness :D

i need to get out more https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/11/4.gif

Milambar 28-11-2012 05:05

The only feature I care about is...

Bug Free.

jb66 28-11-2012 08:05

it uses a new psu, that will be fun and games with daft installers trying to use existing ones, least they wont be noisy anymore

Sephiroth 28-11-2012 09:08

Just so most people know why who knows what (!!!), the clue to the new SH is through this Googled link: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...wNCshylvA2Dv-w

It's tempting to offer comment - but maybe lessons learned have been applied. Like don't mess with the firmware; don't slug the thing!

When I get my trial box, I'll come off modem mode (after a couple of days) and give the thing a proper run in router mode, though I'll slave the Airport Extreme (Bridge mode) just to do something possibly different from other triallists.

dave.m 28-11-2012 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35503169)
it uses a new psu, that will be fun and games with daft installers trying to use existing ones, least they wont be noisy anymore

You hope.

I'd like to see a reduced power footprint if operating in modem mode. If it uses more than SH1 it will be a backwards step.

qasdfdsaq 28-11-2012 10:28

Huh, another VMDG485. I remember the last one that didn't materialize, based on the exact same information...

Shame they ditched Huawei, though with "N750" wireless it seems a cut above average.

robson689 28-11-2012 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35503214)
Huh, another VMDG485. I remember the last one that didn't materialize, based on the exact same information...

Shame they ditched Huawei, though with "N750" wireless it seems a cut above average.

If you go to Start -> Network, the Super Hub thinks it is a VMDG485.

http://d.pr/i/wLSV

Sephiroth 28-11-2012 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by robson689 (Post 35503223)

?? Huh?

Chrysalis 28-11-2012 11:05

I hope themry is right I think was a huge design fault to have cables at the large back area, instead of narrow side, think of most small sized electronic devices, phones, routers, modem etc. Think where cable placement is on those devices.

morley04 28-11-2012 11:12

I completed the survey yesterday but have no idea how I came across it. was it emailed or something?

qasdfdsaq 28-11-2012 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by robson689 (Post 35503223)

Not sure how that's relevant.

Huawei made the other VMDG485, not Netgear.

---------- Post added at 11:37 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave.m (Post 35503200)
You hope.

I'd like to see a reduced power footprint if operating in modem mode. If it uses more than SH1 it will be a backwards step.

The SH1 is already a backward step... :sleep: My current simultaneous dual-band "N750" router uses 3w while idle compared to 9w for the single-band Superhub (others have reported over 12w)

Skie 28-11-2012 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35503082)
Didn't VM brag about how the Superhub is so futureproof it'll last all the way to 400Mb?

Up To :p:

Chrysalis 29-11-2012 02:40

sky's hub seems even worse than virgin's their's only 100mbit lan ports.

my conclusion is isp provided equipment generally sucks compared to the normal branded stuff. but with that said I have used router's branded before that have also sucked, router's are just one of those things where experience can vary a lot.

General Maximus 29-11-2012 08:41

and they are a perfect example of you pay for what you get. The problem is that most non-tech savy customers are happy because they have got "broadband" and don't understand what a router does and all the different features. And as people like to keep telling me, the shub is more than adequate for most peoples needs

Qtx 29-11-2012 08:57

Would that explain why I got this message?

Quote:

Sent: 21-11-2012
Hi there!

I'm sending you a message to let you know we've hand picked you to participate in future trials on the community. This means you have a reserved spot pending the completion of this survey.

If you're interested in participating in a future trial, then please do complete the survey as soon as possible.

Many thanks
I fought tooth and nail to not get a Superhub in the past lol.

Chrysalis 29-11-2012 10:44

Heh Qtx please break NDA and tell us about the superhub v2 when you get it :D

Qtx 29-11-2012 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35503760)
Heh Qtx please break NDA and tell us about the superhub v2 when you get it :D

Superhub 2 and Android version of TV Anywhere are the only things I can think of that they could be trialling soon, unless anyone knows any different?

Very much doubt I will be getting anything to trial from VM due to my disconnection date being in 2 weeks time :woot:

jempalmer 29-11-2012 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35503770)
Superhub 2 and Android version of TV Anywhere are the only things I can think of that they could be trialling soon, unless anyone knows any different?

Very much doubt I will be getting anything to trial from VM due to my disconnection date being in 2 weeks time :woot:

Class, we don't have R37 yet but VM want you to trial a new SH? This despite the fact that you're leaving :D

Mick Fisher 29-11-2012 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35503669)

Agree about the ports and no 5ghz at all, but wired or wireless the SR-101, unlike the SH, seemed rock solid stable. Probably because the auto-channel feature actually works. :) Other than that though the interface sucks and the router is noticeably slow, probably underpowered. It has, however, been recieved with much more enthusiasm than the SH ever was.

Quote:

my conclusion is isp provided equipment generally sucks compared to the normal branded stuff. but with that said I have used router's branded before that have also sucked, router's are just one of those things where experience can vary a lot.

^ This.

qasdfdsaq 29-11-2012 16:50

Quote:

Sky's fastest service is 80Mb and most home users won't have even one single wired device plugged in.

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35503685)
The problem is that most non-tech savy customers are happy because they have got "broadband" and don't understand what a router does and all the different features.

I'm not sure how "normal" people are a "problem".

The "problem" is companies catering for the mass market and the niche market (i.e. us) not liking it.

TBH I get the same issues whenever I go to the supermarket.

adduxi 29-11-2012 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35504044)

Ah, a bit of a 'foodie' like myself then ? :)

---------- Post added at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35503142)
yeah got that myself too. heres hope that we get the SH2 to trial :tu: then keep :D

Yes, same here, would be great if it was the SH2. Providing it's any good of course. It's strange to be picked however, as they know I'm a VMNG300 user :cool:

Chrysalis 30-11-2012 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35504044)
Sky's fastest service is 80Mb and most home users won't have even one single wired device plugged in.

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

I'm not sure how "normal" people are a "problem".

The "problem" is companies catering for the mass market and the niche market (i.e. us) not liking it.

QAS* is in corp mode :p

Most users does not equal all users, but the sky hardware situation is defenitly worse than VM because VM does have a modem mode switching the superhub to a dumb modem and the superhub does at least have gigabit ports as well.

qasdfdsaq 30-11-2012 21:55

Would you rather have a bloated router functioning as a modem on VM or a modem functioning as a modem on FTTC and your own router?

Chrysalis 01-12-2012 05:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35504771)
Would you rather have a bloated router functioning as a modem on VM or a modem functioning as a modem on FTTC and your own router?

you cant have the latter on sky tho easily. can on infinity but not sky.

so the latter situation is better but you not saying the sky situation.

Sephiroth 01-12-2012 10:22

I think Qasi's point is beside the point. Infinity/Sky aren't that great at the higher frequencies. When I was on 40/10, I got 38/8; when they doubled the frequency, distance mattered more and I don't get 76/18 - I get 55/10. Likewise at the next BT speed uplift will attenuate signal further. VM speed is not governed by home to cabinet distance.

In repsect of the SH, all VM have to do is position the SH as a get you going router with the option of using it in modem only mode.

Simples.

Sirius 01-12-2012 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35504868)
I think Qasi's point is beside the point. Infinity/Sky aren't that great at the higher frequencies. When I was on 40/10, I got 38/8; when they doubled the frequency, distance mattered more and I don't get 76/18 - I get 55/10. Likewise at the next BT speed uplift will attenuate signal further. VM speed is not governed by home to cabinet distance.

In repsect of the SH, all VM have to do is position the SH as a get you going router with the option of using it in modem only mode.

Simples.

Been using it that way for months now and it has been fine.

qasdfdsaq 01-12-2012 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35504868)

My point wasn't about the service speed. More like, using your own modem and router - on most FTTC providers, easy peasy. On Sky, harder but still possible. On VM, impossible. At least on the modem part.

If as VM claim the majority of average users have no issues with the Superhub, and most of us high-end picky types would rather buy our own routers anyway, what's the point of the Superhub 2 existing to begin with?

If it's going to be given to everyone but not benefit most people anyway, is it not just a waste of money that ends up making everyone's service cost more?

thenry 01-12-2012 11:50

it wont be given to everyone though will it? id be surprised if it was.

Peter_ 01-12-2012 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35504904)
it wont be given to everyone though will it? id be surprised if it was.

No one will be given a Superhub 2 as a direct replacement for their present kit as the majority work but you will get the serial complainers demanding they get one now or they will leave, now if retentions had the stones they would tell those customers to go look elsewhere.

Sephiroth 01-12-2012 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35504900)
If as VM claim the majority of average users have no issues with the Superhub, and most of us high-end picky types would rather buy our own routers anyway, what's the point of the Superhub 2 existing to begin with?

I suspect that the new SH is intended to overcome wireless shortcomings - to make the thing correspond with the VM advertising hype and to add dual-band wireless.

Key to this will be to ensure proper disposition of the antennae; also not to disable many router functions.

I don't know what chipset the SH2 will use but I suspect an upgrade in this area would be in order.

Finally, if it's Netgear (which it is), then VM firmware will still be in place. Will this be a case of 'nuff said or deja vu? R37 meeds to be good.

Sirius 01-12-2012 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35504945)
I suspect that the new SH is intended to overcome wireless shortcomings - to make the thing correspond with the VM advertising hype and to add dual-band wireless.

Key to this will be to ensure proper disposition of the antennae; also not to disable many router functions.

I don't know what chipset the SH2 will use but I suspect an upgrade in this area would be in order.

Finally, if it's Netgear (which it is), then VM firmware will still be in place. Will this be a case of 'nuff said or deja vu? R37 meeds to be good.

I have no interest in the new hub as my shub does what I require it to do in modem mode connected to a TPlink WR1043ND router with Gargoyle software on it..

Peter_ 01-12-2012 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35504945)

Even when they tested the Huawei model the Virgin Media firmware was and is always going to the same or very similar as part of the corporate identity the company want for their products, same logins and same layout.

Sephiroth 01-12-2012 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35504952)
Even when they tested the Huawei model the Virgin Media firmware was and is always going to the same or very similar as part of the corporate identity the company want for their products, same logins and same layout.

Same bugs?

raging bull 01-12-2012 14:04

Could be a sign of building up stocks prior to the demise of Docis 1/2 and lifting all the users of Ambit modems to 60Mb.

thenry 01-12-2012 14:14

VMNG300 or 256's etc.? if you mean the latter then no.

General Maximus 01-12-2012 14:17

I think you mean 30mbit dude

thenry 01-12-2012 14:19

and it'll be SH1s for them until SH2 come out and are marked down as standard kit

General Maximus 01-12-2012 14:23

Yup. Even if the shub2 is the best thing since sliced bread i think we'll be plagued with shub1 for many months to come while they get rid if all the stock

Peter_ 01-12-2012 15:54

The Superhub version 1 will never disappear or be replaced like for like as it would be to expensive, you will get a replacement when required but it will be whatever is picked off the shelf.

thenry 01-12-2012 15:58

no it wont be whatever is picked off the shelf.

Sirius 01-12-2012 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35505025)
The Superhub version 1 will never disappear or be replaced like for like as it would be to expensive, you will get a replacement when required but it will be whatever is picked off the shelf.

What will happen is that procurement will set the order status of the first one as obsolete no further purchase. So as soon as those in the Red sheds are used up the new one will be the only one issued.

Peter_ 01-12-2012 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35505029)
no it wont be whatever is picked off the shelf.

Are you for real!!!!

Until all stock is gone of the Superhub 1 you will just get what is on the shelf as that stock must go out regardless, also remember you do not own the kit so whatever the company supply is the modem you have to use.

This happened when the Superhub replaced the VMNG300 and the Ambit 256 replaced the older modems.

Do remember that I used to work for the company and the is no way they will not issue the original Superhub especially if they have them refurbished and that means whatever the warehouseman picks up is the device you will receive.

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35505032)
What will happen is that procurement will set the order status of the first one as obsolete no further purchase. So as soon as those in the Red sheds are used up the new one will be the only one issued.

As above they will issue all existing stock even if they also have the new stock because they cost to much money just to bin, do they still refurb modems or just replace.

thenry 01-12-2012 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35505035)
Are you for real!!!!

Until all stock is gone of the Superhub 1 you will just get what is on the shelf as that stock must go out regardless, also remember you do not own the kit so whatever the company supply is the modem you have to use.

This happened when the Superhub replaced the VMNG300 and the Ambit 256 replaced the older modems.

Do remember that I used to work for the company and the is no way they will not issue the original Superhub especially if they have them refurbished and that means whatever the warehouseman picks up is the device you will receive.

Whatever is on the shelf could be SH1 or SH2. VM will not mix up SH1 and SH2. There will be strategy. What sort of idiot would start dishing out new and old here there and everywhere. Thats just digging a grave. VMs path is to now provide combo broadband kit. Within that path are advancements as there is here with SH1 and SH2.

The SH1s will ultimately replace all old kit on the network. This includes the 256s etc. depending on stock levels that could do it for the SH1s. SH2s then, when stock levels of SH1 are low enough will become standard kit. Refurbishments of SH1s will then be limited. VM wont waste their time and money refurbishing SH1s and instead go forward with SH2s.

Do remember I've been through the boardroom at the age of 21. Are you for real!!!!

Peter_ 01-12-2012 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35505048)
Whatever is on the shelf could be SH1 or SH2. VM will not mix up SH1 and SH2. There will be strategy. What sort of idiot would start dishing out new and old here there and everywhere. Thats just digging a grave. VMs path is to now provide combo broadband kit. Within that path are advancements as there is here with SH1 and SH2.

The SH1s will ultimately replace all old kit on the network. This includes the 256s etc. depending on stock levels that could do it for the SH1s. SH2s then, when stock levels of SH1 are low enough will become standard kit. Refurbishments of SH1s will then be limited. VM wont waste their time and money refurbishing SH1s and instead go forward with SH2s.

Do remember I've been through the boardroom at the age of 21. Are you for real!!!!

As both Superhubs if we ever get a new one are supposed to be basically the same device they will still be issuing both devices side by side until stock of the first device runs out, no one is going to fill a skip and throw away thousands of pounds of new equipment.

When the Ambit 256 was released they still had stock of the Motorola Surfboard 5100 and the Scientific Atlanta EPC2100 so you received whatever device the engineer or warehouseman picked off the shelf as they still do the same job and they will supply them until the stock runs out and you do not have a choice as it is a rented device.

Do try and understand the difference as they are a business first and foremost, even Sirius has posted the same above.

Eeeps 01-12-2012 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35504971)
Yup. Even if the shub2 is the best thing since sliced bread i think we'll be plagued with shub1 for many months to come while they get rid if all the stock

Probably be like the 'Sky Box Lottery' where you got whatever the engineer had in the van (even a used unit in a brown box).

Peter_ 01-12-2012 16:29

The will not even be an announcement of the arrival of a new device as it will be a soft launch as with every other modem especially as they will not admit to some customers having major issues with the first Superhub, no other modem has ever had so many rushed out firmware upgrades as the present device because they did not need them.

All that will happen is someday if and when a new device is launched is that a member will post on here or elsewhere about the arrival of a slightly different looking device or possibly a new model number, some people thought a new one came out a while back but it was just a matt casing on the old device.

If it gets launched all the self important people will be on the phone demanding a new device at which point they should be told no even if the threat of disconnection is aired, I say good riddance.

Sephiroth 01-12-2012 16:31

I agree with Peter. It may be trumpeted though for dual-band wireless as part of VM's forward moving path spiel.

Peter_ 01-12-2012 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35505063)
I agree with Peter. It may be trumpeted though for dual-band wireless as part of VM's forward moving path spiel.

I think it will be a soft launch though as they still have to get rid of old stock.

I still believe that a new Superhub will be fatally flawed and that we should get a standalone off the shelf device with the option of a supplied N router or using your own preferred device.

The is bound to be issues with any new Superhub as it will be built to Virgin Media's own specification and probably with internal antenna which will lead to wireless issues once again.

They need to be brave and just supply a Docsis 3 rated modem nothing more.

Sephiroth 01-12-2012 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35505071)
They need to be brave and just supply a N rated modem nothing more.

What's an N rated modem?

Peter_ 01-12-2012 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35505083)
What's an N rated modem?

I just realised.:D