Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Babylon 5 star Jerry Doyle dies (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703370)

denphone 28-07-2016 17:34

Babylon 5 star Jerry Doyle dies

So sad to hear of his death as l have such wonderful memories of him in this magnificent iconic series.:(

http://www.tmz.com/2016/07/28/jerry-...abylon-5-dead/

swoop101 28-07-2016 17:36

Re: Babylon 5 star Jerry Doyle dies

so sad. :(
But a good excuse to watch the full box set again (all 42 dvd's lol)

martyh 28-07-2016 17:38

such a shame ,but by an amazing coincidence i have just started watching them again ,one of the best syfy series ever and well worth a reboot

RIP Jerry

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoop101 (Post 35851569)
so sad. :(

I'm on season 1 ep 6 :D

denphone 28-07-2016 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by swoop101 (Post 35851569)
so sad.

Yes we bought it several years ago thankfully when it was near enough half price.:)

RizzyKing 28-07-2016 19:43

R.I.P Garibaldi such a shame to hear this Jerry Doyle was always happy to engage with B5 fans and was just a really warm and generous guy he also did a lot of work for numerous charities so sad to see another cast member go before their time :(.

CycoSymz 29-07-2016 06:58

Sad news. I loved Babylon 5.

RIP

richard s 29-07-2016 19:36

O what sad news the guy was a great actor. RIP Babylon 5 star and may your journey be truly wonderful.

Stuart 30-07-2016 22:37

I know it'll never be practical, so will never happen, but I'd love to see B5 in full HD on blu ray.

The ironic thing is that it's the special effects (which were the most futuristic part technologically) that would be likely to hold it back.

Let me explain that. In the 80s and 90s, most mid and high budget US shows were shot on 30mm film. This is why they can release shows like ST:TNG on blu ray and they look noticeably better than the DVD. This included many of the special effects shots, and the lot was transferred to video for editing and release.

The reason the special effects would be a problem? During the 90s, computer graphics at full hd quality were beyond the budgets of any tv show, so they tended to be rendered at standard definition.

I don't what format B5 was shot on, so the above may not apply.

Sorry to see Jerry go though.

Paul 31-07-2016 03:04

One of my favourite shows, even the fifth season (well, it was ok).

RIP Jerry.

martyh 31-07-2016 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35851860)
I know it'll never be practical, so will never happen, but I'd love to see B5 in full HD on blu ray.

The ironic thing is that it's the special effects (which were the most futuristic part technologically) that would be likely to hold it back.

Let me explain that. In the 80s and 90s, most mid and high budget US shows were shot on 30mm film. This is why they can release shows like ST:TNG on blu ray and they look noticeably better than the DVD. This included many of the special effects shots, and the lot was transferred to video for editing and release.

The reason the special effects would be a problem? During the 90s, computer graphics at full hd quality were beyond the budgets of any tv show, so they tended to be rendered at standard definition.

I don't what format B5 was shot on, so the above may not apply.

Sorry to see Jerry go though.

Didn't they lose the original film as well ?

RizzyKing 31-07-2016 23:35

Last i heard there was a community group working on improving the quality of the original film that was still around but that was years ago so likely came to nothing. I stillcwatch the series each year and prefer it over star trek as i found the B5 universe a lot more believeable in terms of humanity's progress then utopian star trek.

Maggy 01-08-2016 08:50

RIP..

and RIP for B5 as well..It had much better story lines than Star Trek has in recent incarnations.

Gavin78 04-08-2016 21:03

I own the full box set as well watched it when it first aired. They couldn't ever release the Bluray version as they would have to do all the CGI effects again. They also stated that the CGI effects were so intertwined with real scenes it would make it impossible.

Not just Rip B5 rip the Amiga as well as all CGI were done on these.

They are however supposed to be making a film Reboot according to the B5 facebook fan page but it's gone a little quiet at the moment

RizzyKing 04-08-2016 22:23

How i wish it was true Gavin if they could remake it and not mess with it I'd be over the moon but though rumours pop up often I've never managed to find anything of substance to back up the rumours. It was brilliant what the managed to do with the tech they had and apparently some of the sets are still on a backlot but again no proof of that.