Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   200M : Youtube issues. Is this still a thing? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703626)

Daz555 14-09-2016 11:52

Youtube issues. Is this still a thing?

A year or so ago (slightly longer?) VM got themselves in a load of trouble with a load of issues with Youtube playback for its customers - something to do with their caching of Youtube videos if I recall correctly.

I have noticed of late that my Youtube videos are not loading as quickly as before and yes horror of horrors the buffering has returned. Did VM ever really resolve the caching issue?

As a test I always try a Youtube proxy...and yes of course the videos load several times faster and never buffer - ever.

Kushan 14-09-2016 13:17

Re: Youtube issues. Is this still a thing?

Not noticed any issues personally, but it was somewhat hit and miss previously as well. Been streaming 1080p content quite a bit lately and I haven't had buffering troubles at all.

ccarmock 15-09-2016 00:34

I have experienced a lot of YouTube buffering etc - on 200 Mb/s VM business service with 5 fixed IP.

Uncle Peter 15-09-2016 12:58

Youtube performance has been intermittently poor here over the past couple of weeks after 6pm and much of the day during the weekends. The unis and colleges are still out on summer break though so the students will be at home hammering the residential broadband networks instead of their campus ;)

trickytree 15-09-2016 14:56

This has been mentioned elsewhere in the past few days so I think it is fair to say there are enough people experiencing this to think there may be an issue.
I am one of them that has also experienced this.

Gobble 15-09-2016 15:32

yep, I'm in that camp. Mentioned it in a post on the forum as well, but they don't seem to be getting enough traction - instead being dotted about. Need to get a bit of a master thread going and enough of us posting in it for anyone to notice it

Synthetic 15-09-2016 16:13

Noticed it too on the 300 Homeworks, stuff loads faster on 4G than it does over my 300 Meg Virgin connection....

vm_tech 15-09-2016 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 35859234)
I have experienced a lot of YouTube buffering etc - on 200 Mb/s VM business service with 5 fixed IP.

You can't get 200mb with 5 static IPs at the moment?

General Maximus 15-09-2016 23:13

I have noticed it go down hill big time over the last 2 weeks. Any video I try to play takes about 20 seconds to buffer before it plays and that is any time of day any day of the week.

martkt10 15-09-2016 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35859373)
I have noticed it go down hill big time over the last 2 weeks. Any video I try to play takes about 20 seconds to buffer before it plays and that is any time of day any day of the week.

Same here to, but if i use a vpn it fixes it

ccarmock 17-09-2016 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 35859347)
You can't get 200mb with 5 static IPs at the moment?

Part of a pilot group (not under NDA)

matt-h 20-09-2016 20:46

Not been around here for ages but just wanted to say I've also been getting the return of buffering on YouTube videos again..

Everything else seems fine and like others it's been happening for about 3-5 weeks now and seems to be getting ignored by VM again despite plenty of threads scattered about the community forum about this..

Not time or connection type dependant and goes away if I use a different connection such as my folks non VM one.

alanbjames 20-09-2016 21:01

No youtube issues here in Swansea.

Kushan 21-09-2016 08:31

Still not seeing any issues here, but I wasn't really affected last time either. Disappointed in Virgin :(

General Maximus 22-09-2016 08:34

the buffering problems I have been experiencing over the last 2 weeks have cleared up this week and everything is back normal. Every HD video starting playing immediately.