Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Ch5's Gadget Show to Review the TiVo V6 next week(17th March) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704599)

RichardCoulter 10-03-2017 22:48

Ch5's Gadget Show to Review the TiVo V6 next week(17th March)

Next weeks 'Gadget Show' on Channel 5 HD is to review the V6.

This might help those who are thinking of getting one to come to a decision.

It's on at 7pm on 17 March 2017, with repeats the following day on Spike (10:05) and My5 at (12:00).

On Sunday the 19th, the final showing is on Channel 5 HD (12:00).

Raider999 10-03-2017 22:54

Re: V6 independent review to take place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35889534)
Next weeks 'Gadget Show' on Channel 5 HD is to review the V6.

This might help those who are thinking of getting one to come to a decision.

It's on at 7pm on 17 March 2017, with repeats the following day on Spike (10:05) and My5 at (12:00).

On Sunday the 19th, the final showing is on Channel 5 HD (12:00).

As a long term sky subscriber (17 years) who has recently moved to virgin, I am extremely happy with my V6 boxes with the following minor exceptions:-

1) one of my V6 boxes often has green screen when I switch over to it or switch to on.

2) watching box B recordings on box A simply doesn't work

3) 1Tb boxes are too small for me recording a lot of HD live sport - why no box with a bigger drive?

As I said, apart from these probs I am really impressed.

nialli 11-03-2017 00:04

1) one of my V6 boxes often has green screen when I switch over to it or switch to on. sounds to me like a faulty box - give VM a ring

2) watching box B recordings on box A simply doesn't work again, if you have a faulty box this won't work. My two V6s talk fine to each other and I frequently watch recordings from the other box with no difficulty

3) 1Tb boxes are too small for me recording a lot of HD live sport - why no box with a bigger drive? Once you have two V6s connected you have 2TB of capacity...and twelve tuners!

spiderplant 11-03-2017 08:57

The green screen is compatibility problem with some TVs. There's a software update coming in the next few weeks that hopefully will fix it.

Problems with multi-room streaming are usually due to connection problems between one or both of the boxes and the SuperHub. But I'd start by rebooting both boxes. In what way doesn't it work?

theone2k10 11-03-2017 12:23

Re: Ch5's Gadget Show to Review the TiVo V6 next week(17th March)

I personally wouldn't trust the Gadget show reviews they are quite biased towards Apple and SKY i feel, however with the new team this might change.

RichardCoulter 11-03-2017 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35889596)
I personally wouldn't trust the Gadget show reviews they are quite biased towards Apple and SKY i feel, however with the new team this might change.

I couldn't stand Jason Bradbury, much prefer Craig Charles.

Skie 11-03-2017 19:16

Jason Bradbury was a person to point at and laugh for being so 100% apple he became an irrelevance. He even looks like Jonny Ive made him, probably out of Aluminium.

RichardCoulter 11-03-2017 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by skie (Post 35889620)
jason bradbury was a person to point at and laugh for being so 100% apple he became an irrelevance. He even looks like jonny ive made him, probably out of aluminium.

😂😂

Stephen 11-03-2017 20:38

Don't say that, lol. I always get told I look like Jason!

He was the only thing that kept me watching as he was so enthusiatic about tech.

I still wise Suzy Perry would comeback :-)

Raider999 12-03-2017 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 35889558)
1) one of my V6 boxes often has green screen when I switch over to it or switch to on. sounds to me like a faulty box - give VM a ring

2) watching box B recordings on box A simply doesn't work again, if you have a faulty box this won't work. My two V6s talk fine to each other and I frequently watch recordings from the other box with no difficulty

3) 1Tb boxes are too small for me recording a lot of HD live sport - why no box with a bigger drive? Once you have two V6s connected you have 2TB of capacity...and twelve tuners!

1 and 2) previous replies to this problem suggested it was a hdmi problem??

3) Used to have 2 2Tb skyHD boxes so have only got half the space - surely virgin must be considering a box with at least 2Tb disk in it?

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35889577)
The green screen is compatibility problem with some TVs. There's a software update coming in the next few weeks that hopefully will fix it.

Problems with multi-room streaming are usually due to connection problems between one or both of the boxes and the SuperHub. But I'd start by rebooting both boxes. In what way doesn't it work?

Your green screen suggestion is a possible (connected to a Sony HD tv) - had green screens on and off since day1

As for connection problem - re-booted both a number of times, did actually get this working once but never since.

I had an engineer out after a couple of days (also had no phone line) - despite having reported the to problems he said he was only there to do the phone, had no knowledge of my to problems, wasn't even prepared to look at them - said he had already exceeded the 20 mins allowed to resolve my problem(s).

RichardCoulter 13-03-2017 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35889539)
As a long term sky subscriber (17 years) who has recently moved to virgin, I am extremely happy with my V6 boxes with the following minor exceptions:-

1) one of my V6 boxes often has green screen when I switch over to it or switch to on.

2) watching box B recordings on box A simply doesn't work

3) 1Tb boxes are too small for me recording a lot of HD live sport - why no box with a bigger drive?

There was talk of a 2 The box before launch, I guess they must have scrapped this idea.

Economies of scale will make it cheaper to have only one box and VM will make more money by getting two upfront charges and double ongoing monthly fees.

OLD BOY 13-03-2017 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35889728)
1 and 2) previous replies to this problem suggested it was a hdmi problem??

3) Used to have 2 2Tb skyHD boxes so have only got half the space - surely virgin must be considering a box with at least 2Tb disk in it?

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

Your green screen suggestion is a possible (connected to a Sony HD tv) - had green screens on and off since day1

As for connection problem - re-booted both a number of times, did actually get this working once but never since.

I had an engineer out after a couple of days (also had no phone line) - despite having reported the to problems he said he was only there to do the phone, had no knowledge of my to problems, wasn't even prepared to look at them - said he had already exceeded the 20 mins allowed to resolve my problem(s).

I do wonder if VM have decided that a 1TB box is sufficient now that you can stream the programmes you want to see later from on demand services. They may also be contemplating access to the cloud to retrieve material later and this might well be the method they want us to use for UHD recordings when they are available on schedule based channels.

I have a Sony 4K TV but have not seen any green screen issues, but maybe the later Sonys don't have this problem. It seems to me that technology is moving ahead so fast that when you change once piece of equipment, sometimes this causes a compatibility problem for your older equipment.

spiderplant 13-03-2017 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35889728)

I forgot to mention that you may be able to make the problem go away by disabling some resolutions in the Video Output Formats settings screen.

japitts 13-03-2017 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35889539)

When MPEG4 is brought in, that's the ultimate answer....

bubblegun 14-03-2017 04:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35889596)

IMO, Jon Bentley always seems like a Virgin "fan boy" so I don't see how you get that impression.

They still haven't reviewed Sky Q on the Gadget Show yet but now about a year later they're reviewing the V6...hmm.

Just really hating the new "old Top Gear style" of the show.
It ruined car reviews and it's now ruining gadget reviews with this "old-hat style" of reviews.