Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   200M : Super hub with Google WiFi (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705019)

plumothy 18-06-2017 12:40

Super hub with Google WiFi

I have a superhub 2 and am about to install a 3-unit Google Wifi Mesh.

The Google WiFi can work with the superhub in either Modem or Router mode. Ideally, the superhub should be in modem mode, with the Google WiFi acting as the router for all devices (a switch can be connected for the wired devices). However, I do not want to do that because the Google WiFi IP range cannot be adjusted and I don't want to have to change the fixed IPs on all my devices (PCs, printers, etc). I will disable the wifi in the superhub.

This means that my wired devices will get addresses assigned by the superhub (192.168.2.1-999) and my wireless devices will get addresses assigned by the Google WiFi (192.168.86.1-24).

That's OK (I think) - but I have a concern...

Will a laptop with an address like 192.168.86.5 be able to print to my wired printer on address 192.168.2.60?

weesteev 18-06-2017 12:44

Re: Super hub with Google WiFi

I wouldnt imagine so, why not turn of DHCP on your Google units and lets the Superhub deal with IP addresses?

nefu 18-06-2017 13:17

If you change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 all devices on 192.168.x.x can communicate

plumothy 18-06-2017 14:29

Thanks for the very quick responses. Not possible to switch off DHCP on the Google units. I will give the subnet suggestion a go and report back what happens.

---------- Post added at 13:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

Problem with nefu's subnet suggestion...

The superhub subnet can be changed but it has to be 255.255.255.xxx so I cannot set it to 255.255.0.0

Kushan 18-06-2017 18:16

So you can't disable DHCP or adjust the subnet on Google Wifi?

That's a hell of a poor system.

The other thing you could possibly do is add a static route but if you can't adjust DHCP scope, you sure won't be able to do that. You'd have to do it on every individual machine that needs to communicate across subnets and even still, I'm not sure that'd work if the two machines are on different nodes of the mesh.

Honestly? At this point I'd be inclined to advise you to return the Google Wifi and invest in a solid router + powerlines and additional AP's to extend your wireless network.

plumothy 18-06-2017 20:00

There is not much you can control in DHCP settings for Google WiFi. However, I now have the best wifi coverage I have ever had in my house, all on a single SSID (instead if the four I used to have). 90mbps everywhere is really nice to have :).

Google have gone for ease of use for non-technical customers. But, I still would like to see options available for us more technical types. Although, you can reserve an IP address for any specific device and you can set up port forwarding, both of which I shall be doing when I switch the superhub to modem mode later in the week.

Many thanks to those who replied.

weesteev 19-06-2017 11:28

I have acheieved the same thing with a Nighthawk r7000 router and BT 11AC wifi extenders. The 11AC adapters are £35 on Amazon just now and give me full AC1200 coverage.

Kushan 19-06-2017 11:48

I mean whatever works for you is the best solution. Sounds like Google's mesh system has serious limitations and the tradeoff will be having to reset your IP's on a bunch of devices, but at least once that's done and dusted it'll be back to normal.

I have to admit, I am not a fan of static IP's anyway, I much prefer DHCP reservation.

Rees397 11-11-2018 19:01

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6246630?hl=en-GB