Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Were the police right to pay a paedophile £10,000 for information? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705256)

RichardCoulter 10-08-2017 19:35

Were the police right to pay a paedophile £10,000 for information?

The police have been criticised for paying a paedophile £10,000 to obtain information that helped to put 18 others behind bars:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7885711.html

On the one hand I find this very unpalatable but, living in the real world where money talks, I can also can see why it was done for the greater good.

What do other cableforumers think?

richard s 10-08-2017 20:05

Re: Were the police right to pay a paedophile £10,000 for information?

I agree with you.

pip08456 10-08-2017 20:17

His victims can now sue him for the lot!

Taf 10-08-2017 20:27

I think that paedo should donate that money to his victims.

RichardCoulter 10-08-2017 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35911850)

Good point, i'd not thought of that!

I remember it being in the news where a woman who had been raped sued her attacker after he'd won the lottery. Prior to that he wasn't worth suing.

Ken W 10-08-2017 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35911850)

Good point

RichardCoulter 11-08-2017 20:36

It was also been pointed out in a TV discussion that the man who was paid this money has served his sentence (and thus paid his debt to society) for his part in drugging and raping an underage girl.

Should this make any difference?

RichardCoulter 12-08-2017 01:13

Interesting programme about this operation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b092q9qr

Matth 13-08-2017 22:34

The lesser of two evils, how much information comes from rewarding people who are far from squeaky clean?

Chris 14-08-2017 10:44

Police budgets are squeezed, I think we can be fairly confident they wouldn't have done this had there been any other way. I don't like it, but if it has resulted in dangerous people being taken off the streets, then so be it.

tweetiepooh 14-08-2017 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35912023)
It was also been pointed out in a TV discussion that the man who was paid this money has served his sentence (and thus paid his debt to society) for his part in drugging and raping an underage girl.

Should this make any difference?

Yes and this is a big difference to paying someone off and as part of the deal not prosecuting or seeking the maximum sentence.

Effectively this man should now be treated as a normal part of society (although with appropriate checks and warnings). If it is felt the best way to arrest and prosecute others is to make a payment, how is this different to putting up a reward? Probably a lot cheaper than all the "normal" police work that would have been needed without that information.

OLD BOY 17-08-2017 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35912422)
Yes and this is a big difference to paying someone off and as part of the deal not prosecuting or seeking the maximum sentence.

Effectively this man should now be treated as a normal part of society (although with appropriate checks and warnings). If it is felt the best way to arrest and prosecute others is to make a payment, how is this different to putting up a reward? Probably a lot cheaper than all the "normal" police work that would have been needed without that information.

He may have served his sentence, but I would not ever treat him as 'a normal part of society'. The prison sentencing in this country is a joke, particularly when you realise you only have to serve half of what is already a lenient sentence.

In this case, the crime is too despicable to be forgiven. Ever.

buckleb 19-08-2017 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35913023)
He may have served his sentence, but I would not ever treat him as 'a normal part of society'. The prison sentencing in this country is a joke, particularly when you realise you only have to serve half of what is already a lenient sentence.

In this case, the crime is too despicable to be forgiven. Ever.

Most people's gut reaction would be the same as yours (including mine), but sometimes a more pragmatic approach is required. What if the information provided by the paedophile prevented the abuse of a child, would it be worth it then?