Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Ethernet Cable (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705323)

Radiation 30-08-2017 09:04

Ethernet Cable

I'm getting a new V6 box and the engineer is moving my router next to it, will they provide an ethernet cable and if not what category of cable should I get?

Mythica 30-08-2017 09:22

Re: Ethernet Cable

Do you want it to be moved? If not, ask to see if you can try WiFi while they are there.

Radiation 30-08-2017 09:26

Yes, was told it would be better if devices were hard wired.

OLD BOY 30-08-2017 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radiation (Post 35914523)

It is not clear to me why some continue to say this. My superhub is in a completely different room from my upstairs and downstairs V6s and works fine. However, I acknowledge that in some buildings, this might not be satisfactory. However I have walls that are difficult to drill through, but it still works with no issues at all.

If the proposal is to locate your router right next to your V6, I don't see how there can possibly be a problem.

Radiation 30-08-2017 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35914530)
It is not clear to me why some continue to say this. My superhub is in a completely different room from my upstairs and downstairs V6s and works fine. However, I acknowledge that in some buildings, this might not be satisfactory. However I have walls that are difficult to drill through, but it still works with no issues at all.

If the proposal is to locate your router right next to your V6, I don't see how there can possibly be a problem.

Ok thank you, I was more wondering if the engineer would provide an ethernet cable and what category to get if they didn't.

spiderplant 30-08-2017 11:03

Yes, they will provide one

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

Quote:

It is not clear to me why some continue to say this. ... However, I acknowledge that in some buildings, this might not be satisfactory

That's why. Remember that initially you had problems with Wi-Fi too.

Rexz 30-08-2017 11:09

Quote:

Problems in wireless don't always come down to the range. The more devices you add to a wireless router/access point the more time it takes for each device to get its shared time slot using the frequency. Also wireless devices that reduce speed to improve quality at distance will impact the rest of the wireless network. It has been some time since I looked into the standards of wireless but I am guessing most of this still applies. This is why wired networks are always superior to wireless.

Mythica 30-08-2017 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radiation (Post 35914523)

Everything is better hardwired but then both of my V6s and my phone which I stream some stuff on are wireless and they work perfectly fine. Seems silly moving the hub if wireless works. If you're not bothered about getting it moved then disregard this.

OLD BOY 30-08-2017 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35914537)
Yes, they will provide one

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

That's why. Remember that initially you had problems with Wi-Fi too.

I did, spider, but remember that this was only because my superhub was set at 2.5g.

spiderplant 30-08-2017 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35914557)
I did, spider, but remember that this was only because my superhub was set at 2.5g.

Exactly. But we don't want everybody to have to mess about reconfiguring their hub (not that it will help in many cases). The service should work from the word go, and Ethernet is the most reliable way of achieving this.

Paul 30-08-2017 14:56

Quote:

It is not clear to me why some continue to say this.

Mainly because its true. :)

buckeye 30-08-2017 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35914580)
Mainly because its true. :)

Not necessarily, I know this thread is about the V6 and Superhub but I recently had to troubleshoot why a friends new PC could not achieve his full 212 mbps VM speeds, turns out they had bought a PC with only a 10/100 Ethernet port and plugging in a 5Ghz wifi adapter cured their problems.

Many cheaper devices only contain 10/100 rather than 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports so the adage that hardwired is always best doesn't hold true, it depends on the specs of the equipment connected.

For the question in this thread I'd assume a modern and expensive device like the V6 has a 10/100/1000 Ethernet port and hardwired would give the best results but I say that without looking up the V6's specs.

Radiation 30-08-2017 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 35914588)
For the question in this thread I'd assume a modern and expensive device like the V6 has a 10/100/1000 Ethernet port and hardwired would give the best results but I say that without looking up the V6's specs.

Just looked up the specs for the V6 box and the exact wording is 1x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port so guessing thats pretty good?

buckeye 30-08-2017 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radiation (Post 35914590)
Just looked up the specs for the V6 box and the exact wording is 1x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port so guessing thats pretty good?

Yeah that's good, you should get the best possible connection via Ethernet between the two, although I personally have my Superhub in modem mode and use my own superior router for all my devices either hard wired or over wifi but that's a conversation for an entirely different thread lol

nomadking 30-08-2017 17:44

Buy a couple of cables from a pound shop.