Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Wierd XP dialler problem (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=7715)

semitone 14-02-2004 18:08

Wierd XP dialler problem

I've got a really weird dialler problem with XP. If I launch Internet Explorer I get a message saying 'No connection to the internet is currently available'. I can manually connect and then everything works. If I type a web address into Explorer (not Internet Explorer) the dialler pops up automatically as normal.

The problem only affects one account on the machine - the others all work normally, even newly created ones.

I have checked all the obvious things e.g. making sure that the connection is configured to dial the default connection. I suspect something has got screwed up in the registry but I can't find the problem.

Any ideas?

Stuartbe 14-02-2004 21:20

Re: Wierd XP dialler problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by semitone
I've got a really weird dialler problem with XP. If I launch Internet Explorer I get a message saying 'No connection to the internet is currently available'. I can manually connect and then everything works. If I type a web address into Explorer (not Internet Explorer) the dialler pops up automatically as normal.

The problem only affects one account on the machine - the others all work normally, even newly created ones.

I have checked all the obvious things e.g. making sure that the connection is configured to dial the default connection. I suspect something has got screwed up in the registry but I can't find the problem.

Any ideas?

Is the account with the problem set as default ??

semitone 14-02-2004 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartbe
Is the account with the problem set as default ??

Yes it is. I have tried setting an alternative ISP as the default and the result is the same. I just tried removing all the accounts and setting them up from scratch, but it still made no difference. :shrug:

Stuartbe 14-02-2004 22:45

Quote:

Yes it is. I have tried setting an alternative ISP as the default and the result is the same. I just tried removing all the accounts and setting them up from scratch, but it still made no difference. :shrug:

Try changing the home page -- If the page that you have set as the home page has xpragma-nocache set then this may be the problem

semitone 15-02-2004 00:08

Quote:

Try changing the home page -- If the page that you have set as the home page has xpragma-nocache set then this may be the problem

That wasn't the answer either. I have found a solution for the moment. I deleted the user that was giving problems, recreated it and now evrything is working again. The problem is that I have no idea what caused the problem so I supspect it might come back again. :confused:

semitone 15-02-2004 10:33

Quote:

That wasn't the answer either. I have found a solution for the moment. I deleted the user that was giving problems, recreated it and now evrything is working again. The problem is that I have no idea what caused the problem so I supspect it might come back again. :confused:

The problem has come back this morning. All I did was boot up and try to log on, I changed nothing. This is frustrating

Stuartbe 15-02-2004 10:52

Quote:

The problem has come back this morning. All I did was boot up and try to log on, I changed nothing. This is frustrating

Strange :eek: ....Did you log on using the same account ??

semitone 15-02-2004 15:04

Quote:

Strange :eek: ....Did you log on using the same account ??

Yes everything was the same. Luckily I had only just installed XP again after upgrading the computer so there was not too much on it. I have just reinstalled again and I will try to identify what caused the problem as I put the software back on.

semitone 16-02-2004 17:34

Re: Wierd XP dialler problem - Resolved

Quote:

Yes everything was the same. Luckily I had only just installed XP again after upgrading the computer so there was not too much on it. I have just reinstalled again and I will try to identify what caused the problem as I put the software back on.

I finally found the cause of the problem :) . It was caused by the Google Toolbar. I had installed it with the advanced options turned on and for some reason after about 20 minutes of being online it would stop working and then block everything - I only wanted it to stop the popups :D . The solution was to reinstall the toolbar but with only the standard options.