Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   V+ : What does the V+ box do all night ? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687429)

clumsymum 03-05-2012 11:36

What does the V+ box do all night ?

right, after my other half signed us up for an upgrade to Tivo, our V+ box has been moved up to the bedroom. It is driving me do-lally.

Every so often through the night (and possibly the day too) even tho the box is in stand-by, I can hear the hard disk coming up. The box isn't set to record anything, there aren't any special lights showing on the front, it simply runs the hard drive for a few minutes, then it stops. After a random time, it's quite likely to start up again (usually just as I'm dozing off). I know they don't make a hugely loud noise, but in the dark when everything else is quiet, it is quite audible.

Now I know the boxes are supposed to receive software updates overnight, but EVERY night ? and more than once or twice a night ?

I'm thinking of making the point by just disconnecting the power at night time, altho of course then it might not get some sort of important update.

And anyway, I am just intrigued by what it is actually doing - and how much power is it using every 24 hrs?

MovedGoalPosts 03-05-2012 12:05

Re: What does the V+ box do all night ?

The EPG data held by the box is updated nightly. Typically starts just after midnight GMT. It has to do that as the EPG is for the 7 days ahead so at some point the system needs to drop the expired day and add the next. This process is a pain in the backside as often the V+ will become unresponsive.

As for the hourly or so spin up, no real idea, but I'd imagine the box is checking itself to see if it needs to start a recording?

jaf1968 03-05-2012 12:13

Turn ours off at night... The 27 minute past whirring bugged me!!

antonyb 03-05-2012 13:34

Ditto same here, lost so many good nights sleep over the v+ box whirring, phoned Virgin up to see if I could downgrade to a normal box but was told it would cost £20 and would still probably have the same problem!

jempalmer 03-05-2012 14:03

I was asked if I wanted to keep the V+ when upgrading to Tivo. Decided to do so and returned the VHD. The V+ is a bit noisy but you can always unplug it at night.
I don't see how a VHD box would "probably" have the same issue. It has no hdd to spin up at random and I don't recall ours making any noise at all. I assume the £20 charge would be to cover carriage/ admin etc.

nodrogd 03-05-2012 14:35

The V+ boxes usually fire up at Midnight, 6am, Midday and 6pm and hourly at about 17 -18 mins past the hour. Don't know what it's for, but it's never bothered me as the fan in mine is fairly quiet.

jempalmer 03-05-2012 15:11

It's not just the fan that makes noise. The hard disc also whirrs when it's in use.

clumsymum 03-05-2012 19:30

I wasn't aware it has a fan, It just sounds like a disk drive to me.

jempalmer 03-05-2012 20:16

It has a cooling fan, like a computer. It starts when the heat increases, when the box is busy.

zappa100 03-05-2012 21:05

No need to unplug it. There is a on/off rocker switch on the back;)

martyh 03-05-2012 21:19

Anyone else think that cheap hard ware was used in the boxes to make so much noise as to keep people awake :D

jempalmer 03-05-2012 21:36

I use a "green" plug bank that switches off all non essential devices when they're not required (at night in my case). My V+ is in the bedroom, so when it's time to sleep I turn off all non essential devices by remote.

andy_m 04-05-2012 09:44

So if I turn mine off at night will it automatically download the updated epg when I switch it back on in the morning? ie. is there a downside to switching it off each night?

nodrogd 04-05-2012 11:16

Switching off causes a complete reload of the EPG (same as a reboot). Current days programmes are loaded first and you are probably looking at 5 -10 mins for the full 7 days to load. The only big problem would be if you hit a software update, and then you could be waiting 10 - 15 mins before it then completes a second reboot.

clumsymum 04-05-2012 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35423190)
Switching off causes a complete reload of the EPG (same as a reboot). Current days programmes are loaded first and you are probably looking at 5 -10 mins for the full 7 days to load. The only big problem would be if you hit a software update, and then you could be waiting 10 - 15 mins before it then completes a second reboot.

so as long as I switch it back on at least 20 mins before I want to watch anything on it .... ??