Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sony Games Systems (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Connecting PS3 to the Internet (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33631205)

benweightman 09-04-2008 19:57

Connecting PS3 to the Internet

I have just bought a PS3 and want to connect to the internet but don't yet have a router.I heard you could plug it straight into a modem via the ethernet cable however my modem does not have a slot for the cable, it has a small telephone type slot and a USB wire coming out of it. Any sugestions to what i'm doing wrong?

frogstamper 09-04-2008 20:40

Re: Connecting PS3 to the Internet

Quote:

Originally Posted by benweightman (Post 34524332)
I have just bought a PS3 and want to connect to the internet but don't yet have a router.I heard you could plug it straight into a modem via the ethernet cable however my modem does not have a slot for the cable, it has a small telephone type slot and a USB wire coming out of it. Any sugestions to what i'm doing wrong?

As far as I'm aware the PS3 has the same inter-net set up as the 360, in which case with my 360 I too do not use a router, I just swap the ether-net cable [ the blue one] between my PC and xbox, no problem, it should be just as simple with the PS3.

Tod 10-04-2008 13:38

The PS3 can only plug into a modem with a ethernet slot. If your modem only has a USB connection you will need a router as well.

frogstamper 10-04-2008 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tod (Post 34524911)
The PS3 can only plug into a modem with a ethernet slot. If your modem only has a USB connection you will need a router as well.

Cheers for puting me straight on that pal, what about one of those connectors that you plug the USB into and its got a ethernet connection on the other end, would that work. Sorry about the way Iv explained that mate;)

benweightman 11-04-2008 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tod (Post 34524911)

So how will i go about that, even with a router the modem needs to connected to the router via an ethernet cable right? and then from that into the PS3 and PC

Also, i have a ethernet cable slot in my PC where the modem should plug into if it wasn't a USB one and i've tried that all i got was an IP error when i try and plug it into that and the PS3 doesn't reconise it

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogstamper (Post 34524957)
Cheers for puting me straight on that pal, what about one of those connectors that you plug the USB into and its got a ethernet connection on the other end, would that work. Sorry about the way Iv explained that mate;)

Do those exsist? Where do you buy them?

icestar2 11-04-2008 02:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by benweightman (Post 34525533)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-ETHERNET...d_sbs_ce_img_1

Plenty around just search to USB to Ethernet adapter.

Tezcatlipoca 11-04-2008 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by benweightman (Post 34525533)
So how will i go about that, even with a router the modem needs to connected to the router via an ethernet cable right? and then from that into the PS3 and PC

Sounds from your earlier post that you have ADSL (phoneline broadband).

You would need to get a router with a built-in ADSL modem, & use that in place of your current USB modem.

The phoneline would connect to the router-modem, and the PS3 & PC would each connect to the router-modem using ethernet (or wireless if the router has it).

e.g.

Netgear DG834G ADSL2+ modem / wireless router / switch

Quote:

Originally Posted by benweightman
Also, i have a ethernet cable slot in my PC where the modem should plug into if it wasn't a USB one and i've tried that all i got was an IP error when i try and plug it into that and the PS3 doesn't reconise it

If you connect the PS3 via the PC, the PC needs to have Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) configured & enabled.

You'd then have:

phoneline > modem

modem > PC via USB

PC > PS3 via ethernet

And the PC would have to be on whenever you wanted to use the PS3 online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benweightman

I don't think it would work in your case.

They are more for turning a PC's USB port into an ethernet port.

I don't think it would work using it to turn an ADSL modem's USB port into an ethernet port.

benweightman 12-04-2008 22:11

Ok any suggetions on good routers?

tomo901 19-04-2008 15:51

Anyone know of a way to hook up a mobile broadband usb stick to a ps3??

Just had an idea, no idea if it would work or not though.

Cheers

Cerberus 19-04-2008 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by benweightman (Post 34527036)
Ok any suggetions on good routers?

Any Linksys or Netgear router would suit. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomo901 (Post 34532660)
Anyone know of a way to hook up a mobile broadband usb stick to a ps3??

Just had an idea, no idea if it would work or not though.

Cheers

Would that not just be a case of hooking it up via the PS3's USB port and setting up via the Internet Settings option in the PS3's XMB? Try that.

MacmillaN 29-04-2008 16:19

Hi,
I am having problems connecting the PS3 to the router,

I have a WGR614-6VGUKS - the same one supplied by Virgin Media...

The router is working fine with my PC.

If someone could give me a brief rundown on it, it would be helpful, i am slightly lost...