Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   BT Group buys ESPN Channels (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33692203)

dwarven 25-02-2013 16:18

BT Group buys ESPN Channels

ESPN Website. Hmmmm wonder what this means for ESPN on Sky :(

Quote:

The transaction is expected to complete on July 31, 2013 after which BT will continue to operate at least one ESPN-branded channel which is expected to form part of the BT Sport TV package that will be launched by BT this summer. Additionally, the deal will allow BT to continue to show a host of US sports currently shown on ESPN America, including NCAA College Basketball, NCAA College Football and NASCAR. The ESPN channels will be broadcast from BT Sport's new home in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford. Until completion, the service for current subscribers to the ESPN channels across all television platforms remains unchanged.

telegramsam 25-02-2013 16:25

Re: BT Group buys ESPN Channels

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwarven (Post 35541415)
ESPN Website. Hmmmm wonder what this means for ESPN on Sky :(

I wonder too what this will all mean to us sky subscribers to ESPN once the deal is completed. I hope we get them at the same price at the very least.

denphone 25-02-2013 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35541420)
I hope we get them at the same price at the very least.

That very much remains to be seen.

telegramsam 25-02-2013 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35541423)
That very much remains to be seen.

Yes true. Alot may depend on two factors 1.Sky's power in getting the lowest price posible and 2. BT's strength to get what they want

nstokes 25-02-2013 17:00

I hope that is good news but no one will really now until nearer the time

telegramsam 25-02-2013 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35541437)
I hope that is good news but no one will really now until nearer the time

One good thing,at least it solves the problem about whether you can afford to subscribe to all 3 sports providers or which 1 to drop

Chad 25-02-2013 22:19

Unlike the other TV providers in the UK SKY have basic and premium channels in SD and HD that BT would like access too. SKY also have a library of on demand content BT would surely like to have also. SKY are in a great position to agree mutually beneficial carriage deal with BT for BT Sports. We know already 100% for sure the channels are coming to SKY, but we don't know at what price.

I can see SKY agreeing a deal for BT to have access to SKY Sports 1 to 4 in HD whilst SKY can offer BT Sports 1 to 3 in HD. I assume as per usual Virgin will just get SD purely on the basis that they have nothing to offer BT.

spiderplant 25-02-2013 22:57

Chad: You apparently have managed to secure "SKY+HD with SKY World, Boxnation and ESPN". What must-see content did you have to offer in return?

thenry 25-02-2013 22:59

a discount code.

Chad 25-02-2013 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35541615)
Chad: You apparently have managed to secure "SKY+HD with SKY World, Boxnation and ESPN". What must-see content did you have to offer in return?

My must see content was my account number and sort code. I only provided this content to SKY upon them providing me with a half price code. SKY was able to offer me something that no other TV provider could. I got exactly what I wanted, at the price I wanted to pay, and SKY got exactly what they wanted.

http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/...nce-54004.html

“BT has clearly been frustrated at not being able to access significant elements of Sky’s content and also has experienced Sky’s aggression in the broadband market. BT intends to use its content as a negotiating tool."

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35541616)
a discount code.

Bingo :D

denphone 26-02-2013 04:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35541604)

I can see SKY agreeing a deal for BT to have access to SKY Sports 1 to 4 in HD whilst SKY can offer BT Sports 1 to 3 in HD. I assume as per usual Virgin will just get SD purely on the basis that they have nothing to offer BT.

Assuming is a very dangerous game Chad as we all know as how do we know that VM have nothing to offer.

Chad 26-02-2013 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35541665)
Assuming is a very dangerous game Chad as we all know as how do we know that VM have nothing to offer.

Other than money, what can Virgin Media possibly offer to BT to sweeten a deal?

denphone 26-02-2013 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35541671)
Other than money, what can Virgin Media possibly offer to BT to sweeten a deal?

Remember VM will be owned by LG soon and as a result of that they will have far more leverage as a result of that in discussions. with TV providers one suspects.

Chad 26-02-2013 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35541674)
Remember VM will be owned by LG soon and as a result of that they will have far more leverage as a result of that in discussions. with TV providers one suspects.

Possibly however I'm still not sure what BT would want from them other than cash.

nstokes 26-02-2013 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35541455)
One good thing,at least it solves the problem about whether you can afford to subscribe to all 3 sports providers or which 1 to drop

Not yet it doesnt as no offcial annoument has been made so is still speculation

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35541604)

I cant see that Chad. I can see Sky having BT Sports HD but i cant see Sky giving BT Sky Sports 1-4 HD