Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Telco Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without knowledge (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33662671)

cookie_365 23-03-2010 20:57

Re: Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without knowledge

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verizon (Post 34985341)
As to another poster's point about you committing criminal damage to the cable, you can't commit criminal damage on your own property!

Yes you can.

calmpitbull 23-03-2010 21:11

How can you commit criminal damage on your own land to something which shouldn't be there and never had permission to be there?

Sooner you stick a spade through it the better. That way they will have no choice but to re-route it.

Just say you were doing a spot of gardening

As for your nice neighbours, they were obviously not nice enough to stop it happening even though they knew it wasn't right. Sounds to me like they are just telling you what you want to hear.

rag3d 24-03-2010 11:18

Thanks guys for all the support and advice. Have spoken to solicitor, they say there is a possibility of commiting criminal damage if I cut the cable deliberately. Dont know what happens if there was an "ACCIDENT".
Had a meeting here this Monday with Reps from BT, Carrilion their contractor and Cobra who are contractors to Carillion for this job. Agreement has been reached that the cable will be redirected outside my property and go along to and down my neighbours garden.
I have told them I dont want them digging up the trench on my garden to pull the existing installation out, dont see the point in letting them make any more mess. They all would have been content to leave things as they were and for Cobra to send a couple of blokes to tidy the garden. They tried to convince me that the turf on their trench would would disappear, I know from first hand experience that is not the case. Tomorrow a landscape company is coming to give me a quote to returf the lawn. Their estimate will be forwarded to BTs claims dept who have sent me a claims form.
Thanks again for the confidence you have given me to push this forward.
PAUL: Thanks, I have been helped by someone in BT who made the contact between Openreach and myself and has kept in contact with me by phone and email to this point.

Peter_ 24-03-2010 11:21

Nice one, do not let this go and ensure that you pursue the claim for the re-turfing as you are the wronged party.

LSainsbury 24-03-2010 20:32

Can we see some of the photos you took so we can see what they did??

rag3d 25-03-2010 11:13

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 34986727)
Can we see some of the photos you took so we can see what they did??

First time I have done this Lee hope it works.

Peter_ 25-03-2010 11:21

What possessed them to think that would be alright by any stretch of the imagination, they have dug a trench accross the road and then through your property using the shortest route.

That is absolutely shocking, have them given you a timescale for its removal.

LSainsbury 25-03-2010 11:30

One word: Unbelieveable.

Muppets!

(Make that two words!)

rag3d 25-03-2010 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moldova (Post 34987099)
What possessed them to think that would be alright by any stretch of the imagination, they have dug a trench accross the road and then through your property using the shortest route.

That is absolutely shocking, have them given you a timescale for its removal.

No timscale given, After seeing the standard of their work I will not allow them to dig in my garden to remove whatever is there. I am waiting on a quote from a professional landscaper and when he does the work if their cable is nearer the surface than I have been told it will be removed.
I just have to see if the claims dept are prepared to meet the cost of re-turfing this small garden.
The landscaper that came today to give me a quote told me that the job Openreach left would in all probability always show.

Jules 25-03-2010 14:18

Omg! that looks even worse than I thought it would! I can understand why you are upset!

tdadyslexia 25-03-2010 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by rag3d (Post 34987094)
First time I have done this Lee hope it works.

That is disgusting, you need a fence to halite your boundary.

MovedGoalPosts 25-03-2010 16:08

Don't just assume that you can erect any type of fence. Many houses are built with open layout styled front gardens. There may be restrictions in the title or from planning to use of fencing.

That so called reinstatement of a lawn is the sort of thing they'd get away with on a public road verge, perhaps, but to someone's front garden is appalling.

Dukefever 25-03-2010 20:40

I feel your anger now more than I thought you were.

P*ss poor job. Hope it all gets sorted and quickly.

Duke

saabmania2 25-03-2010 23:04

thats just seriously WRONG, lord knows how they could even think of leaving it like that is beyond me, i know my temper and that would have been ripped out within hours of getting home (yes i know it might not be legal) but i would have gone berserk.

I still would get them to move the cable, after all they shouldn't have put it through their i the first place, remove cable and re-turf the lawn and some compensation for all your hastle is a minimum you should be after :shocked:

Chris 26-03-2010 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by rag3d (Post 34987171)
No timscale given, After seeing the standard of their work I will not allow them to dig in my garden to remove whatever is there. I am waiting on a quote from a professional landscaper and when he does the work if their cable is nearer the surface than I have been told it will be removed.
I just have to see if the claims dept are prepared to meet the cost of re-turfing this small garden.
The landscaper that came today to give me a quote told me that the job Openreach left would in all probability always show.

Hang on - you've not agreed to allow the cable to remain, have you? :Yikes:

You have to get that cable off your property. What if it needs repaired or replaced in future? Whose garden will be getting dug up if/when that happens? Yep, yours.

There is absolutely no reason for that cable to be on your property. Openreach should have dug their trench along the pavement until it reached your neighbour's boundary, and then they should have run it up through his lawn. The reason they did not do that was clearly to save themselves some time and money. Well, frankly, their time and money is not your problem!