Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Virgin Media under fire for the state of the roads & pavements in York. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704708)

RichardCoulter 05-04-2017 05:56

Virgin Media under fire for the state of the roads & pavements in York.

I assume its related to this:

http://www.virginmedia.com/corporate...gin-media.html

On our local news yesterday evening they showed the shocking state that VM have left the roads & pavements in York.

I assume that it was a contractor and not their own employees as they said that they would be getting in a new team of contractors in to clear up the mess left behind.

It really was appalling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08l2bx8

Anyone know who they were?

Pierre 05-04-2017 06:15

Re: Virgin Media under fire for the state of the roads & pavements in York.

Typical construction snagging complaints absolutely no different to when cable build was in full tilt in the 90's.

Good for a 5 min slot on a news magazine show and little else.

RichardCoulter 05-04-2017 14:51

VM (or NTL as it was then) left our town in a good condition.

If you view the footage, the quality​ of workmanship is really poor. Sadly a reflection of many industries today ie why pay for experienced staff when you can cheaply hire a school leaver or immigrant who couldn't care less in the name of 'efficiency' :mad:

Arthurgray50@blu 06-04-2017 21:56

VM don't care as long as the jobs done. I have seen some terrible carried out by VM. No matter who the contractor is.
I remember the terrible work they carried out on the A316 near me. And VM blamed the contractor who dug BOTH sides of the road instead of doing it over two days.. Instead they did it ONE.

There is a word for it - COWBOYS

weesteev 07-04-2017 11:18

On the flip side Arthur, I have seen some tremendous works carried out by VM contractors so its not really fair to tar the entire UK operation based on one experience. Mistakes happen, contractors make bad judgements sometimes, but you cannot class the upwards of 10k people involved in network expansion as cowboys.

GrimUpNorth 08-04-2017 14:16

I haven't heard the guys down the corridor in highway maintenance complain about VM - and they've been doing plenty of work expanding the network in Leeds.

Must admit I've lost count of the number of emails I've had regarding the placement of cabinets etc of the last few months. While the VM works haven't impacted​ on any of my work (yet) I do look at what they're planning and it's certainly on a par quality wise with anything submitted by other utilities or civils contractors. If it wasn't we wouldn't let them do​ the works.

Cheers

Grim

Mr K 08-04-2017 18:25

Have to admit when cable was first installed on my street many years ago, I was a bit concerned when they dug a trench at the bottom of the drive. I had an 9 month pregnant wife... Fair do's, they did the job rather quickly when they clocked her !

Arthurgray50@blu 09-04-2017 23:04

Weesteev,
There are always bad contractors. I have yet to see any good ones. I remember l was speaking with some Cable installers in Northolt. And they told me that they were from Scotland. And were down here to clear up the mess left by London contractor's.

A very good friend of mine - I recommended to VM. Phone me to say that that VM had installed that morning, and he wanted to see what they had done.

I was shocked, They had run the cable OVER a hedge, and then round a FLOWER POT on the window sill and THROUGH AN OPEN window.

I phone VM and told them l was there, took photos and sent to the CS rep mobile phone. They called the engineers while l was there. They went back an hour later. And were fuming that l had called.

I was shown a worksheet that they were given. They had TWENTY job for that day. And they told me that they couldn't complete, unless they made shortcuts.

And that to collect extra equipment, they had to meet at a garage in Bedfont, where they met Managers. The engineers get commission on how much work they do.

I only have VM, as my wife insist on it.

pip08456 10-04-2017 00:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35893924)
Weesteev,
There are always bad contractors. I have yet to see any good ones. I remember l was speaking with some Cable installers in Northolt. And they told me that they were from Scotland. And were down here to clear up the mess left by London contractor's.

A very good friend of mine - I recommended to VM. Phone me to say that that VM had installed that morning, and he wanted to see what they had done.

I was shocked, They had run the cable OVER a hedge, and then round a FLOWER POT on the window sill and THROUGH AN OPEN window.

I phone VM and told them l was there, took photos and sent to the CS rep mobile phone. They called the engineers while l was there. They went back an hour later. And were fuming that l had called.

I was shown a worksheet that they were given. They had TWENTY job for that day. And they told me that they couldn't complete, unless they made shortcuts.

And that to collect extra equipment, they had to meet at a garage in Bedfont, where they met Managers. The engineers get commission on how much work they do.

I only have VM, as my wife insist on it.

So, from your opening 2 sentances there are no good contractors. What planet are you on Arthur? Yes there will be bad ones but they are actually in the minority and if they leave problems VM will arrange a "clean up" team to put things right.

As regards a supply being installed through an open window, I'm sorry I just don't believe you but if you've got pictures of it then please post them.

Kushan 10-04-2017 08:48

Another way to look at it - the reason you never see good contractors is because when they do their job right, you don't notice them at all.

Mr K 10-04-2017 21:14

Quote:

Are you sure it wasn't connected to a lawnmower Arthur? It sounds like my Flymo gets wired.....

nfs6600 11-04-2017 00:54

Quote:

I was shocked, They had run the cable OVER a hedge, and then round a FLOWER POT on the window sill and THROUGH AN OPEN window

No they didn't

Anyone else think this account is a wee take? :banghead:

Even the worst contractor ever would never do this and expect to get away with it

pip08456 11-04-2017 01:26

Methinks he doth make things up!

nfs6600 11-04-2017 01:37

Grass is blue the sky is green don't you know?