Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   UPC Ireland and VM (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33699398)

Mr Banana 19-11-2014 15:27

UPC Ireland and VM

Interesting move.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2014/...ins-mockridge/

Pierre 19-11-2014 16:49

Re: UPC Ireland and VM

Not really. It was one of the first questions asked when Liberty bought VM.

UPC Ireland used to be NTL Ireland.

I still know many of the people at UPC from the NTL days and we still work closely together on certain things.

Don't know what this may lead to though.

Mr Banana 19-11-2014 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35741962)

I still know many of the people at UPC from the NTL days and we still work closely together on certain things.

I will rephrase, interesting move to people who dont have the benefit of your insight.

Ignitionnet 19-11-2014 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35741962)

Have Liberty made any soundings about moving operational management of network out of the UK NMCs into the Netherlands yet?

Merger of at least some parts of the Irish operation into the UK one would make a fair amount of sense.

Either way it's all unlikely to have any visible impact on VM customers as it would be Ireland into UK - an 855,000 homes passed operation is considerably easier to merge into a 12.6 million homes passed operation than the reverse.

EDIT: I still remember looking at the network that ntl had sold UPC and wondering if they knew what they had in store as far as upgrade bill went. Clearly they did! Dublin was always decent. Cork, Limerick and Galway were somewhat shoe-horned into handling broadband, in a fashion, the rest a one-way MATV platform; everything besides Dublin needed rebuild though.

Quote:

UPC Ireland’s customers are located in five regional clusters, including the capital city of Dublin, and the cities of Cork, Galway, and Limerick. Its cable network is 87% upgraded to two-way capacity, with 88% of its cable homes served by a network with a bandwidth of at least 750 Mhz.

Pierre 19-11-2014 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35741976)
Have Liberty made any soundings about moving operational management of network out of the UK NMCs into the Netherlands yet?

Nope, I predict that would probably never happen.

They have aligned some parts of the business into a more European centric channel.

things like Architecture for example.

Quote:

Merger of at least some parts of the Irish operation into the UK one would make a fair amount of sense.
This would make perfect sense and I could certainly see management of the Eire operations moving to Langley.

Media Boy UK 20-11-2014 15:30

I read somewhere that UPC Ireland may need to close in the coming years (Cant find link).

As Ireland are set to resell their broadcast streams by 2020.

Pierre 22-11-2014 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35742149)
I read somewhere that UPC Ireland may need to close in the coming years (Cant find link).

As Ireland are set to resell their broadcast streams by 2020.

I don't understand that at all I'm afraid

batchain 12-01-2015 14:20

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0UR2B920150112

Quote:

LONDON, Jan 12 (IFR) - Liberty Global is reorganising its European businesses, merging UPC Netherlands with Ziggo, and UPC Ireland with Virgin Media, according to sources close to the matter.

Virgin Media meanwhile is raising £300m of secured bonds and £625m-equivalent of unsecured bonds to back its acquisition of UPC Ireland.

Ignitionnet 12-01-2015 14:48

Wonder if folding it into VM's corporate structure means that UPC Ireland could use the 'Virgin' brand?

They only dropped 'ntl' from the branding in 2010 :)

BenMcr 12-01-2015 15:00

Personally can't see it happening in the short term, it would be potentially confusing if 'Virgin Media' did two different sets of products e.g. TiVo in one country and Horizon in another. Especially for those in Northern Ireland with relatives in the Republic of Ireland (and vice versa)

Although watch me now get proven wrong.

Kushan 12-01-2015 18:42

Stuff like that isn't beyond the norm in Ireland, I think we're all used to things just being a bit different across the border.

For example, Tayto crisps.

qasdfdsaq 12-01-2015 19:01

What on earth are tayto crisps

Kushan 12-01-2015 19:13

Tayto is a crisp manufacturer based in Northern Ireland.

Tayto is also a crisp manufacturer based in the Republic of Ireland.

The two are completely unrelated to each other. Other than they both make crisps.

EDIT: Apparently Tayto (NI) is the 3rd biggest crisp manufacturer in the UK, they own Golden Wonder and a few others. TIL.

qasdfdsaq 12-01-2015 19:15

And both have big smiley potato faces on their homepage

Kushan 12-01-2015 19:22

Indeed. I can tell you that they both taste very different from each other, or at least there's enough of a distinction for you to have a preference. So we're used to the "Same but not the same" thing when it comes to crossing the border.