Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cable network map (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33684140)

Digital Fanatic 17-02-2012 11:19

Re: Cable network map

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35381373)
That is most definately correct, Virgin Media provide services for Westminster City Council, No Cable TV franchise there although, the phone network may still remain.

Also for Isle of Dogs, only the telephone network is in use around there for business,local authorities and remaining residential customers, the Cable TV service was abandoned many years ago.

And also in my area a Telewest/Cable London area, NTL had a manhole cover and some sort of cabinet with the NTL logo and a contact number on the side, that was quite a few years before the merger, so NTL had a national infrastructure before any mergers took place. Round the corner from there, NTL Broadcast had an office there, although the logo was replaced with Arquiva following the takeover.

City centre in Liverpool is business telephones only as it feeds the business district.

MrIca 17-02-2012 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35383314)
City centre in Liverpool is business telephones only as it feeds the business district.

Oh right, I've noticed some Virgin Media cabinets in the shopping area. So there is no cable TV/broadband service? Just phones?

Digital Fanatic 18-02-2012 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrIca (Post 35383616)
Oh right, I've noticed some Virgin Media cabinets in the shopping area. So there is no cable TV/broadband service? Just phones?

Yeah, for the most part. I've visited the business telco exchange in the city.

MrIca 18-02-2012 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35383857)
Yeah, for the most part. I've visited the business telco exchange in the city.

Didn't realise VM had separate telephone exchanges. I always thought that the signal from the copper telephone lines gets transferred onto the VM fibre network in a street cabinet, which would then go to a headend such as Bromborough.

Also, seeing as you're (fairly) local do you have any idea where the Bromborough headend is?

Digital Fanatic 18-02-2012 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrIca (Post 35383871)
Didn't realise VM had separate telephone exchanges. I always thought that the signal from the copper telephone lines gets transferred onto the VM fibre network in a street cabinet, which would then go to a headend such as Bromborough.

Also, seeing as you're (fairly) local do you have any idea where the Bromborough headend is?

your head end is Baguley in Manchester :)

m419 18-02-2012 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35383314)

What do these businesses do for internet?

I mean most businesses are switching to Voip ect....

Digital Fanatic 18-02-2012 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35383882)
What do these businesses do for internet?

I mean most businesses are switching to Voip ect....

Business ADSL when it was Telewest, not sure now it's VM Business?

on in an hour! 18-02-2012 13:07

regarding the pics of cabinets with no apparent services to the home these are probably (as has been said previously) whats known as 'stranded plant'.
the duct is in, the tees to the houses may well be in, but theres no trunk feeder cable or 50pr telephony cable pulled to cabinets and indeed no furniture inside the cabinets to which to terminate the cables onto.
however there is a dept within VM who will cost out areas such as these (hard works been done because the ducting is down) so theres every chance places like these would get a budget to activate them.
make enough noise on the cable my street website and they may take an interest.
as regards the ducting not serving resedential subs but going through towns and such,i live in a row of 4 houses (at No3), a VM duct runs past the gable end of No1 but it only carries the fibre between the hubsites at bolton and blackburn! so no cable for me :(

satellite-man 19-02-2012 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35380773)
Business fibre, leased lines, wholesale connectivity, educational networks, backhaul for mobile transmitters, telephone trunking, etc.

what are the advantages of VM business BB as apposed to residential ?

Digital Fanatic 19-02-2012 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by satellite-man (Post 35384300)
what are the advantages of VM business BB as apposed to residential ?

It's not traffic shaped... it has a fault fix time of 4 hours if you need an engineer.

satellite-man 19-02-2012 01:00

oh right, do you need to provide anything such as a VAT number ?

Digital Fanatic 19-02-2012 01:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by satellite-man (Post 35384314)
oh right, do you need to provide anything such as a VAT number ?

I'm not sure, it wasn't my area. Have a look at
http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk...rnet-Services/

satellite-man 19-02-2012 01:35

thanks was just wondering as i run a small business from home but its not VAT registered

MrIca 19-02-2012 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35383873)
your head end is Baguley in Manchester :)

Huh? How come it says brmb on the IP address for the connection?

Peter_ 19-02-2012 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrIca (Post 35384706)
Huh? How come it says brom on the IP address for the connection?

Baguley is your regional headend but Bromley is your National headend.