Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub + WGR614v9 as wireless access point = N+G at full speed? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33672981)

AndyCalling 14-12-2010 02:38

Superhub + WGR614v9 as wireless access point = N+G at full speed?

I'm soon to get a new Superhub. I hear they can do N300 speeds and even 5ghz mode, but not 5ghz at the same time as 2.5ghz. I have a printer/scanner on 54g so I need to think creatively. How about this?

I connect my old WGR614v9 (with standard Netgear firmware) as a wireless access point to the Superhub. Could I then run the Superhub at 5ghz draft N 300 only, dodging all clashes, and run the WGR614v9 at 54G to connect my printer/scanner to the lan, allowing computers linked to the Superhub (wired and wireless) to access the printer/scanner (albeit at 54G speeds) whilst making no compromises with my full-cream draft-N network?

The only problem I can see is annoying the neighbours, but I don't think there are any networks close enough for concern. This could allow both 5ghz operation and dodge the issue of mixed mode performance loss at the same time, I think?

Would it work? Oh, and would I have to have adifferent SSID on each router? Would this also be the case if I ran the N router in 2.5ghz mode (just so I understand things properly) or are N and G duplicate SSIDs only able to exist if they use different bands?

I need to learn from someone who knows. Thanks boffins!

The_real_dj 14-12-2010 19:45

Re: Superhub + WGR614v9 as wireless access point = N+G at full speed?

It should work fine with the same SSID etc on the 2.5 and 5ghz.
Apparently some N devices can get confused when they can see the same SSID on 2 different frequencies but most work with the latest drivers etc.

The only thing id say is before you go to all that bother, try it on standard with everything going though the superhub. Ive got my pc running N on the other side of the house from the router on with iphones, a printer and an extra laptop running G at the same time and I still get 50mb on the N machine without any issues!! :)

qasdfdsaq 14-12-2010 20:46

You would be best using different SSIDs if only to make it easier to choose between the two when you connect. A dual-band client will simply use the one with the strongest signal, and seeing as 5Ghz signals drop a lot quicker (an extra 6dB path loss in air) it'll probably "prefer" the 2.4Ghz one.

There is no (technical) problem in using the same SSID on 5Ghz as 2.4 or having two 2.4Ghz networks with the same SSID. We (at work) run over 1000 APs on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz all with the same SSID(s).

Still, your first option would probably be the best, depending on what clients you have. As long as your 802.11n clients are 5Ghz capable, then that solution is ideal. If any of your clients don't support 5Ghz, then they'll be stuck in G mode.

As for annoying your neighbours, running N300 in 2.4Ghz would be far far worse. I would highly recommendatory against using N300 in 2.4Ghz mode. You would not get full speed and would interfere with *every* other network in the area whatever channel it's on.

But ultimately though, you're talking about one printer. One printer isn't going to use the wireless much (even on G, a 10MB document would only cause 5 seconds of interference) and when it's not using the wireless there should be zero mixed mode performance impact.

AndyCalling 14-12-2010 23:32

Lots to think about, thankyou. There's nothing in the area over -80 in inSSIDer in the 2.4ghz band so I feel free to be a wifi thug. Still, I like the idea of trying 5ghz instead but then I will have to use the second router otherwise my printer won't work at all.

Also, my netbook may or may not have built in 5ghz. I can't tell as Broadcom make it very hard to work out the precise chipset I'm using. I can use the dongle and run at 5ghz but I may find that a pain. I'll have to see.

Looks like I'll have to get testing on Thursday when I get upgraded.