Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Linear is old tech - on demand is the future (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705051)

OLD BOY 07-08-2017 14:14

Re: Confirmed: linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35911227)
A outcome highly unlikely to happen and if it did the customer would be paying more not less.

I think that is unlikely. Amazon is a market disrupter, and if they do get involved as increasing speculation suggests, you may be in for a nice surprise.

denphone 07-08-2017 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35911229)
I think that is unlikely. Amazon is a market disrupter, and if they do get involved as increasing speculation suggests, you may be in for a nice surprise.

Somehow turkeys don't vote for Christmas.;)

buckeye 07-08-2017 15:36

I can't see Amazon bidding for Premier League rights, they're just too expensive and also sold mostly on a country by country basis rather than the pan continental rights Amazon would want.
I can however see them buying up cheaper sports rights as they have done with ATP tennis to try and tie more people into their eco system, I could even see EFL rights going to them but The Premier League would just be too expensive unless they go for Match Of The Days highlights package.

OLD BOY 07-08-2017 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 35911251)
I can't see Amazon bidding for Premier League rights, they're just too expensive and also sold mostly on a country by country basis rather than the pan continental rights Amazon would want.
I can however see them buying up cheaper sports rights as they have done with ATP tennis to try and tie more people into their eco system, I could even see EFL rights going to them but The Premier League would just be too expensive unless they go for Match Of The Days highlights package.

So what do you make of this, then?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f...ball-5bn7lfbb5

denphone 07-08-2017 16:08

Not much as all he is doing is bigging up the price for the auction knowing full well Sky and BT Sport will bid massively and Sky will win the vast majority of the rights and BT Sport will settle for the remaining rights..

theone2k10 07-08-2017 20:30

You know we've all ribbed OB on this but in the latest Broadband now newsletter they say 8/10 people in the UK now use catch up tv or on demand.
Linear ofcourse is still going strong but maybe OB is on to something about on demand and catch up tv becoming most peoples method of tv soon.

alwaysabear 07-08-2017 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35911338)
You know we've all ribbed OB on this but in the latest Broadband now newsletter they say 8/10 people in the UK now use catch up tv or on demand.
Linear ofcourse is still going strong but maybe OB is on to something about on demand and catch up tv becoming most peoples method of tv soon.

From my experience the under 35's watch little linear TV. I have 4 children between 25 and 33.

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35911261)
Not much as all he is doing is bigging up the price for the auction knowing full well Sky and BT Sport will bid massively and Sky will win the vast majority of the rights and BT Sport will settle for the remaining rights..

Den it may not be BT bidding if reports the other day are to be believed.

Paul 07-08-2017 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35911338)

Yes, most people probably use them at some point, it doesnt mean they exclusively use such services though.

denphone 07-08-2017 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35911344)
From my experience the under 35's watch little linear TV. I have 4 children between 25 and 33.

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Den it may not be BT bidding if reports the other day are to be believed.

Well we shall see as my hunch is it will be the usual 2.

theone2k10 07-08-2017 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35911350)
Yes, most people probably use them at some point, it doesnt mean they exclusively use such services though.

I agree i personally only use online tv/on demand/catch up tv but i think i'm probably in the minority.

vincerooney 08-08-2017 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35905777)
And they will in the future.:)

Aye i'm with Den. I'd never want to watch sports on demand? I'd probably have been spoiled the score! Live sports and live events will always have to be linear.

Maybe the current youngsters 10-16 will slowly move to ondemand 100% (i still doubt it with sports...) but the older generation just wont so linear will be around for another 30 odd years.

My mum knows how to watch eastenders on demand if she's missed it. But she'd just rather watch it "live". She knows the time its on so whats the point in her watching it on demand later on?

OLD BOY 08-08-2017 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35911467)
Aye i'm with Den. I'd never want to watch sports on demand? I'd probably have been spoiled the score! Live sports and live events will always have to be linear.

Maybe the current youngsters 10-16 will slowly move to ondemand 100% (i still doubt it with sports...) but the older generation just wont so linear will be around for another 30 odd years.

My mum knows how to watch eastenders on demand if she's missed it. But she'd just rather watch it "live". She knows the time its on so whats the point in her watching it on demand later on?

I agree that sport will always be linear, but I think it will be streamed (ie live) rather than through conventional broadcast channels.

muppetman11 08-08-2017 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35911470)
I agree that sport will always be linear, but I think it will be streamed (ie live) rather than through conventional broadcast channels.

Good grief not this again :banghead:

As you've been told numerous times it's already streamed now by both BT and Sky.

OLD BOY 08-08-2017 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35911481)

As you've been told numerous times it's already streamed now by both BT and Sky.

I was answering a question, old chap. This is a subject that confuses a lot of people. Calm yourself, dear, you'll give yourself a headache... ;)

denphone 09-08-2017 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35911481)

Keep trying MM as you will get there in the end.;):D