Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Job stuck in printer queue. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33656253)

Wallace 04-10-2009 17:13

Job stuck in printer queue.

I have a networked printer used by my desktop and SWMBO's laptop. The laptop has stopped printing and on closer inspection, there is a print job dated 28/9/09 still in the print queue. I have tried deleting it from the queue and windows says "deleting" but it will not go!
I have tried rebooting etc but it is still there and nothing else will print.

Can anyone help please?

FYI The laptop is running Vista HP SP-2.

webcrawler2050 04-10-2009 17:16

Re: Job stuck in printer queue.

It's likely it's a print job on another machine, if it's networked. Check other machines aswell

Wallace 04-10-2009 17:21

Thanks for the prompt reply but sorry that's not it.
I have just printed something to the printer from my desktop OK.

Hom3r 04-10-2009 17:35

try turning off the printer?

punky 04-10-2009 17:38

You need to stop the print spooler and delete the jobs manually. God knows why, i've been doing this since Windows 95 and Microsoft have never fixed it.

Go to: Start, Run and type in:

net stop spooler

Go this folder:

C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers

And delete the files in there (or move them into another folder if you want to be extra safe)

And restart the spooler:

net start spooler

Wallace 04-10-2009 17:45

Thank you, that's done the trick!

I will print that out in case I forget what to do next time it happens, and I'm sure it will!

Thank you again.

Sonna 08-10-2009 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by punky (Post 34883802)
You need to stop the print spooler and delete the jobs manually. God knows why, i've been doing this since Windows 95 and Microsoft have never fixed it.

Go to: Start, Run and type in:

net stop spooler

Go this folder:

C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers

And delete the files in there (or move them into another folder if you want to be extra safe)

And restart the spooler:

net start spooler

Alternatively, you can access the print spooler if you type 'services.msc' into the run box and then stop/start the service.

LSainsbury 08-10-2009 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonna (Post 34886321)
Alternatively, you can access the print spooler if you type 'services.msc' into the run box and then stop/start the service.

Yeah - but sometimes that does not delete the jobs - hence the delete the files in the spooler. ;) :dozey:

Sonna 08-10-2009 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 34886342)
Yeah - but sometimes that does not delete the jobs - hence the delete the files in the spooler. ;) :dozey:

Yeah but should still allow you to delete jobs from the standard print queue. I'll try the method above when this issue happens to me again.

papasmurf 09-10-2009 14:07

Don't forget the .shd shadow files can sometimes get left behind as well.

adzii_nufc 11-10-2009 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallace (Post 34883806)
Thank you, that's done the trick!

I will print that out in case I forget what to do next time it happens, and I'm sure it will!

Thank you again.

What if that job gets stuck too :o:

idi banashapan 11-10-2009 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSainsbury (Post 34886342)

that's only likely to happen if the Print Server is set to spool/render jobs on the client. in which case, you need to restart the client spooler also.

Wallace 12-10-2009 08:50

It's amazing, and a wonder of these and other forums. You ask a question of the forum community and, usually, your question gets answered.

Not only that, it usually sparks a debate of some sort and the discussions continue.

Wonderful stuff.