Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Will you buy The Sun on Sunday? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685740)

denphone 20-02-2012 11:54

Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?

The simple answer is no.

Tim Deegan 20-02-2012 11:57

Re: Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?

Refused to buy the sun on any day of the week, so won't be changing any time soon.

gba93 20-02-2012 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35384900)

The simple answer is no.

No No No No

Digital Fanatic 20-02-2012 12:17

No. I won't be buying this paper.

dilli-theclaw 20-02-2012 12:19

No, but then I don't buy any newspapers

Julian 20-02-2012 12:20

I'll not vote as I don't buy any Sunday paper and a no vote would skew the poll. :)

It'll be interesting to see how it sells. When the NOW ceased trading it was selling around 2.6 million copies every Sunday. Only about 1.3 m of those sales moved over to other titles. The other 1.3 m have been lost from the market.

The market is in general decline anyway so it's a brave move by Murdoch, Even though the biggest losses by far are at the Guardian and Independent stables.
I'm sure there will be incentives in the weekday Sun to encourage a Sunday purchase though.

chris9991 20-02-2012 12:50

Provided it is priced below the Sunday Mirror and the People, it should sell well

Hom3r 20-02-2012 12:56

I will buy the first one.

But then after this I will only buy a sunday paper if a particluar story takes my interest, or I am on my holiday.

Maggy 20-02-2012 12:56

Course not.But then I don't buy the sun either. I don't buy any newspapers anymore as they are all infected by bad journalism,gossip,falsehoods,inaccuracies and regurgitated PR crap.The only paper I go out of my way to buy is Private Eye.

I suggest that anyone who hasn't read Flat Earth News thus far does so.

SkyFTW 20-02-2012 13:04

I will buy the Sun on Sunday, I miss the NOTW.

But then I never bought the NOTW for its Hi-Brow quality journalisim, I have my broad sheets for that.

I just enjoy the more light hearted dead donkey storys. Too many people take it too seriously and don't seemto be able to step out side the box. Tabloids fill a gap in the market and no one does a red top better than News International.

Love it or hate it, its good for the WC magazine rack.

Kymmy 20-02-2012 13:08

I never see the point in buying a newspaper.. You're paying for 12+ hours old news when instead you can get upto date news on the net..

STONEISLAND 20-02-2012 13:10

Yes, looking forward to it missed News Of The World

Alan Fry 20-02-2012 13:52

I have never bought The Sun or the NOTW and I will not be buying The Sun on Sunday either!

Uncle Peter 20-02-2012 14:02

No

If I wanted to read fiction then I will buy a good book.

Jimmy-J 20-02-2012 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35384983)
I never see the point in buying a newspaper.. You're paying for 12+ hours old news when instead you can get upto date news on the net..

I'm with you on this. :)

denphone 20-02-2012 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy-J (Post 35385038)
I'm with you on this. :)

Me too as the only newspaper l have bought in the last few years is the Racing Post and thats only because it was a special issue.

Kymmy 20-02-2012 14:53

The local paper gets delivered for free every thursday.. Only time I've ever looked at it is to check if there's any local carboot sales about. I wish I could stop it from being delivered as it's a waste of paper just like 99% of printed daily/weekly media

joglynne 20-02-2012 14:54

No!!!!!

I don't often buy a Sunday paper but the idea of putting even a penny in Murdoch's pocket ensures that I don't buy anything that can be linked to him or his family.

pabscars 20-02-2012 15:06

I wouldn't buy the Sun on any day, let alone Sunday :)

richard1960 20-02-2012 15:21

No Wapping Liar for me on a sunday also, or for that matter weekdays.:td:

Peter_ 20-02-2012 16:20

For anyone willing to buy this piece of tat please do think for a moment and remember the 96 victims who died at Hillsborough and whose memories this companies rags tried to drag through the mud in order to protect the Yorkshire Police, if you have no conscience then go out and buy it.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

papa smurf 20-02-2012 16:25

i won't be buying it but i have no objection to eating chips out of it on monday

Chris 20-02-2012 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35385133)
For anyone willing to buy this piece of tat please do think for a moment and remember the 96 victims who died at Hillsborough and whose memories this companies rags tried to drag through the mud in order to protect the Yorkshire Police, if you have no conscience then go out and buy it.

Nobody holds a grudge like a scouser. :rolleyes:

It was despicable, but it was also a long time ago. If the footballing world was as unforgiving of Liverpool as some Liverpool fans are of the Sun, the team would still be barred from Europe thanks to that murderous rampage around the Heysel stadium. But we don't shout and stamp our feet about that any more, do we.

STONEISLAND 20-02-2012 16:57

Quote:

http://www.liverpool96.com/Images/Ga.../Memorial1.jpg

Tad harsh :td:

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35385146)

It was despicable, but it was also a long time ago. If the footballing world was as unforgiving of Liverpool as some Liverpool fans are of the Sun, the team would still be barred from Europe thanks to that murderous rampage around the Heysel stadium. But we don't shout and stamp our feet about that any more, do we.

:clap: :)

Peter_ 20-02-2012 16:58

Quote:

I sat and watched both events live and was appalled by both of them as any normal person would be regardless of their home town.

The difference with that rag is that it deliberately went out of its way to vilify the Liverpool supporters and to try and pin the blame on them in order to cover up the failings of the Police on that day, if it was a government coverup as well that is even more shocking.

I would love to know how those Police Officers can sleep at night especially the ones who turned their backs on the dying who they could see in front of them slowly getting the life crushed out of them and still refused to open the gates onto the pitch, not a memory that I would like to live with.

The match at Heysel should never have happened as the stadium was falling to pieces and the authorities knew it, maybe it would never have happened if they had relocated the match we will never know but those images were equally shocking.

richard1960 20-02-2012 16:58

Quote:

Thats a point chris but remember the Murdoch press has form in many areas completely non football related that makes people like me not want to buy the paper.:(

Peter_ 20-02-2012 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by STONEISLAND (Post 35385152)
Tad harsh :td:

-

Not in the slightest bit harsh and if it stops a few extra copies being bought then that is fantastic.

Chris 20-02-2012 16:59

I absolutely agree, and I have no desire to shout and cheer for News International. I just get a bit tired of seeing this one awful, but ancient and thoroughly retracted and apologised-for incident being held up as some sort of ongoing righteous crusade.

Peter_ 20-02-2012 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35385157)
I absolutely agree, and I have no desire to shout and cheer for News International. I just get a bit tired of seeing this one awful, but ancient and thoroughly retracted and apologised-for incident being held up as some sort of ongoing righteous crusade.

I doubt the friends and families of the victims would ever take that stance.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/

Chris 20-02-2012 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35385159)
I doubt the friends and families of the victims would ever take that stance.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/

I agree. But I don't see what that has to do with it.

Chrysalis 20-02-2012 17:20

I dont buy any papers so I answered the question pretending I do buy papers, it was still no.

Damien 20-02-2012 17:30

People overlook that the fences were erected at football grounds partly in response to the Heysel disaster amongst other acts of hooliganism. It's all rather tragic. That's starting to drag it off topic anyway.

Peter_ 20-02-2012 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35385160)
I agree. But I don't see what that has to do with it.

I doubt any of their families will ever read this or any other paper published by News International.

Sirius 20-02-2012 17:58

No

Why would i want to lower my IQ by reading that drivel :)

TheNorm 20-02-2012 18:39

There are only two reasons to buy The Sun...;)

martyh 20-02-2012 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNorm (Post 35385225)
There are only two reasons to buy The Sun...;)

Page 3 and George and Lynne :D :tu:

bw41101 20-02-2012 22:21

In retrospect and (of course) purely from an intellectual point of view, one would prefer the Beano. Oh I say, one reads that menace chappie is becoming more uncouth by the day don't you know.

Be seeing one :Sprint:

Halcyon 20-02-2012 22:49

I dont buy any newspapers at the weekend so will NOT be buying this one either.

The only newspaper I do read is my local one on a Thursday that has a going out guide to whats happening at the weekend.

Tezcatlipoca 20-02-2012 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35385169)
I dont buy any papers so I answered the question pretending I do buy papers, it was still no.

Ditto.

Paul 21-02-2012 01:46

Quote:

Sorry, but this is just nonsense. What a paper did or did not do 22+ years ago is irrelevant ancient history, its really time you let go of this grudge.

BTW, I dont buy any newspapers.

RizzyKing 21-02-2012 02:04

I stopped buying the sun years ago when I realised what a nasty little rag it was. Perfect example in the fall of journalistic standards you could ask for. Sun on sunday I am sure will kick right into it's normal stride within a couple of weeks probably with an anti islam story. I would rather slow drill a hole in my skull then put a single penny into the murdoch's coffers.

Chrysalis 21-02-2012 07:47

What was amusing is the sun journalists claiming they been targeted yet for years they have bullied many people with damaging stories.

Peter_ 21-02-2012 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35385385)
Sorry, but this is just nonsense. What a paper did or did not do 22+ years ago is irrelevant ancient history, its really time you let go of this grudge.

BTW, I dont buy any newspapers.

You are not from the City of Liverpool so obviously you do not understand the pain that company caused and I would not wish that on anyone.

I rather doubt that in this city that I am alone in feeling this way even though time has past the are still many questions unanswered by the authorities.

Apart from the picture I posted above have you ever stood in front of the memorial at Anfield, if not then try it sometime maybe that will bring it home to you when you talk of a grudge it goes deeper than that.

richard1960 21-02-2012 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35385418)
You are not from the City of Liverpool so obviously you do not understand the pain that company caused and I would not wish that on anyone.

I rather doubt that in this city that I am alone in feeling this way even though time has past the are still many questions unanswered by the authorities.

Apart from the picture I posted above have you ever stood in front of the memorial at Anfield, if not then try it sometime maybe that will bring it home to you when you talk of a grudge it goes deeper than that.

I can fully see where you are coming from Peter and its good to see people sticking by their principles in Liverpool what the sun did was disgusting and for years Kelvin McKenzie defended the indefensible and even now probably believes the sun printed the truth.:(

Alan Fry 21-02-2012 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35385154)
I sat and watched both events live and was appalled by both of them as any normal person would be regardless of their home town.

The difference with that rag is that it deliberately went out of its way to vilify the Liverpool supporters and to try and pin the blame on them in order to cover up the failings of the Police on that day, if it was a government coverup as well that is even more shocking.

I would love to know how those Police Officers can sleep at night especially the ones who turned their backs on the dying who they could see in front of them slowly getting the life crushed out of them and still refused to open the gates onto the pitch, not a memory that I would like to live with.

The match at Heysel should never have happened as the stadium was falling to pieces and the authorities knew it, maybe it would never have happened if they had relocated the match we will never know but those images were equally shocking.

Thank god times have changed since them!

Digital Fanatic 21-02-2012 10:23

Quote:

To be fair here Chris, If the people of Liverpool had actually had a real apology and not that half arsed one, then maybe we would forgive. Heysel is a shame the City is more than aware of.

Alan Fry 21-02-2012 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35385490)
To be fair here Chris, If the people of Liverpool had actually had a real apology and not that half arsed one, then maybe we would forgive. Heysel is a shame the City is more than aware of.

The Heysel Stadium is now called King Baudouin Stadium

Kymmy 21-02-2012 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35385515)
The Heysel Stadium is now called King Baudouin Stadium

Off topic, please return to the topic in question

TheDaddy 21-02-2012 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35385056)
The local paper gets delivered for free every thursday.. Only time I've ever looked at it is to check if there's any local carboot sales about. I wish I could stop it from being delivered as it's a waste of paper just like 99% of printed daily/weekly media

Sellotape a little sign above the letter box saying "no free newpapers" will probably do the trick...

Alan Fry 21-02-2012 12:21

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 23168

Kymmy 21-02-2012 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35385536)
Sellotape a little sign above the letter box saying "no free newpapers" will probably do the trick...

You mean I don't have to electrify the letterbox :D

The larger of the two doggies normally grabs it and rips it up anyway.. he seems to enjoy the game..

Sirius 21-02-2012 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35385424)
I can fully see where you are coming from Peter and its good to see people sticking by their principles in Liverpool what the sun did was disgusting and for years Kelvin McKenzie defended the indefensible and even now probably believes the sun printed the truth.:(

Its the same attitude i have towards the thugs from the miners union that went visiting people at night who they claimed were scabs , Never will i let that leave my mind and it will be with me till the day they put me in a box. Some people have said let it drop after all this time but some things should NEVER be allowed to be forgotten. Its the same for News international what they have done should never be allowed to be forgotten.

Chris 21-02-2012 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35385808)
Its the same attitude i have towards the thugs from the miners union that went visiting people at night who they claimed were scabs , Never will i let that leave my mind and it will be with me till the day they put me in a box. Some people have said let it drop after all this time but some things should NEVER be allowed to be forgotten. Its the same for News international what they have done should never be allowed to be forgotten.

That's not the same at all. That would be like holding the entire pit villages the thugs came from permanently responsible for what went on.

Kelvin MacKenzie no longer works for News International. He hasn't worked for them for years. There is next-to-nobody anywhere at the Sun today who was there when the Hillsborough story was printed. There is absolutely nobody anywhere on the news floor that had anything to do with it.

A boycott is normally supposed to achieve some aim. People boycott Nestle because they believe economic pressure might influence its marketing of infant formula milk in third world countries. Boycotting the Sun in Liverpool seems to serve no purpose. What could the aim be? To get someone sacked? They've all gone anyway - some of them have retired, it was that long ago. To extract an apology? The paper has done so, fully and unequivocally.

The only reason I can see for all this venom is that hating the Sun has become part of the definition of a scouser. Just as you're not a true cockney unless you were born within earshot of Bow Bells, you're not a true Scouser unless you remind anyone who will listen, at every opportunity, about a horrible thing the Sun printed 20-plus years ago. And when a community defines itself by the things it hates, it's in a very sorry condition indeed.

Peter_ 21-02-2012 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35385859)
That's not the same at all. That would be like holding the entire pit villages the thugs came from permanently responsible for what went on.

Kelvin MacKenzie no longer works for News International. He hasn't worked for them for years. There is next-to-nobody anywhere at the Sun today who was there when the Hillsborough story was printed. There is absolutely nobody anywhere on the news floor that had anything to do with it.

A boycott is normally supposed to achieve some aim. People boycott Nestle because they believe economic pressure might influence its marketing of infant formula milk in third world countries. Boycotting the Sun in Liverpool seems to serve no purpose. What could the aim be? To get someone sacked? They've all gone anyway - some of them have retired, it was that long ago. To extract an apology? The paper has done so, fully and unequivocally.

The only reason I can see for all this venom is that hating the Sun has become part of the definition of a scouser. Just as you're not a true cockney unless you were born within earshot of Bow Bells, you're not a true Scouser unless you remind anyone who will listen, at every opportunity, about a horrible thing the Sun printed 20-plus years ago. And when a community defines itself by the things it hates, it's in a very sorry condition indeed.

I expect the owners will be hoping nothing comes out to make their rag even more unpalatable to people as somewhere the truth will still exist as to the sources who gave them their nasty little story.

This company has never really had the decency to apologise to the city of Liverpool in a meaningful way, but I doubt even that will ever happen.

Now if it happened in your home town or anyone else reading this I rather doubt you would go "Oh well its been 20+ years and we are still fighting for the truth lets just pack it up and forget about it" get real.

Maybe you should click this link read the article and listen to Anne Williams the mother of Hillsborough victim Kevin Williams aged 15 who died not at 3:15 pm as they would like you to believe but around 4pm.

CLICK ME.

If my 15 year old had died in this way I would still want answers even after all this time.

Chris 21-02-2012 21:44

I have no need to read up or listen in. I grew up in Merseyside and just like everyone else in Merseyside I was in some way connected with at least one family that suffered an injury or death that day. I supported Liverpool like most of my classmates and was listening to the radio coverage live as it happened.

I know just as much of the story as you do. The difference is, not actually being from Liverpool, I'm not affected by the destructive, negative groupthink that insists boycotting a newspaper (and hounding people out of town when they disagree, c.f. Wayne Rooney) is ever going to achieve anything.

Damien 21-02-2012 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35385970)
If my 15 year old had died in this way I would still want answers even after all this time.

Nobody has an issue with Liverpool fans and the families of those who suffered to continue to seek answers into what happened that day. However that has nothing to do with The Sun article which, as Chris has stated, has nothing to do with any of the people involved with The Sun today.

Peter_ 21-02-2012 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35385992)
Nobody has an issue with Liverpool fans and the families of those who suffered to continue to seek answers into what happened that day. However that has nothing to do with The Sun article which, as Chris has stated, has nothing to do with any of the people involved with The Sun today.

I think Hillsborough is reason enough not to buy either newspaper regardless of who works their today as it still bears the same name, one closed but is having a rebirth which is a shame.

As I said a few times if it was your home town you would or should feel the same.

If I was a newsagent neither paper would be on sale in my shop.

Chris 21-02-2012 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35386007)
As I said a few times if it was your home town you would or should feel the same.

And this sums up exactly what's wrong with that mindset.

AdamD 22-02-2012 06:24

I don't read or want to look at gutter/trailer trash rubbish, so no. :P

Peter_ 22-02-2012 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35386019)
And this sums up exactly what's wrong with that mindset.

Nothing wrong there and no we should not let "Bygones be bygones" that rag is a nasty piece of work and no one should forget what they tried to do.

denphone 22-02-2012 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35386107)
I fear we're only a posting away from invoking Godwin's law. :erm:

Anybody know how much they want for the Sun on Sunday? NOTW was only a quid.

It would not surprise me if Murdoch enters into a price war with other sunday newspapers and sells it for a vastly reduced price to start off with.:(

richard1960 22-02-2012 09:57

Quote:

I fear we're only a posting away from invoking Godwin's law. :erm:

Anybody know how much they want for the Sun on Sunday? NOTW was only a quid.

I hope its considerably less then the Andrex i buy now.:D

Julian 22-02-2012 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35386117)
If the SOS makes profilts like the NOTW he can afford to even without making it a loss leader.

Story July 2011

I thought a pound for a Sunday paper with a glossy was good value even if half of it was trash.

The £150m figure is a sales figure not a profit figure.

It will almost certainly be £1 after early promotions as this will match the Mirror, People & Star.

SnoopZ 22-02-2012 11:54

No point buying newspapers, when you can get current news from the internet for free.

Damien 22-02-2012 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35386157)
No point buying newspapers, when you can get current news from the internet for free.

Newspapers are better at providing analysis and context to news stories. News itself can often be useless with it.

Stuart 22-02-2012 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_ (Post 35386007)

But there has to be a cut off point. You are offended about an article written 23 years ago about something that happened 23 years ago. How much further are you willing to go? Back to the 60s? Back to the 40s? Further? I'm fairly sure a few passengers and crew on the Titanic were scousers. If the Sun (or any rag) had published a similar story about them, would Liverpool still boycott it?

Hillsborough was probably the worst disaster to hit modern English football, and it is worth noting that the enquiry at the time laid the bulk of the blame with the Police, and how they managed the crowds. I would hope that they have learned something from that. They have, if some of the conferences I have provided tech support for are anything to go by (we have a professor at work who is an acknowledged expert on evacuation and holds regular lectures and conferences on the subject)

I am not defending The Sun at all (they have done many bad things, and this Levenson enquiry just seems to be digging up more), but I would hope that had the same thing happened in my home town, I would not still be spewing hate 23 years afterward. I don't think it's healthy to hold hate for that long. For a person, or a community.

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35386157)

Depends where you get the news from. If you get it from the site of a good quality news paper (The Times, Telegraph, Guardian etc), the site of a TV channel (BBC, ITV, CNN etc) or a service like Reuters you can at least be sure that the author has done some research on the story (how much is sometimes questionable) and should be able to provide background etc. They should (ideally) keep the story free of political bias, but, TBH, I don't know of any news service that does that 100% of the time.

If you are getting your news from a random website or someone's blog, then you don't know how well they have researched something (if at all), or how much they know about it.

Chris 22-02-2012 13:44

Quote:

I fear we're only a posting away from invoking Godwin's law. :erm:.

ok, I'll bite ...

Stan Boardman on Germans

Stuart 22-02-2012 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35386254)
ok, I'll bite ...

Stan Boardman on Germans

I nearly did. Hence the quick rephrasing of my post to use the Titanic as an example..

Digital Fanatic 22-02-2012 14:05

It's a gutter paper anyway, so even if they hadn't printed those lies all those years ago, I still wouldn't buy it.

Kelvin McKenzie (I know he no longer works for them) has consistently refused to offer a sincere apology for the lies that were printed.

Just google him - cleanse yourself afterwards though! :D

Horace 22-02-2012 15:13

I no longer buy newspapers and have avoided directly paying for News Corps part or fully owned products since I was old enough to make those decisions including SKY. It would be nice to hear the views of the people who do buy their products and who used to buy the NOTW since I suspect those are the people this poll is really aimed at.

Alan Fry 23-02-2012 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35385859)

Kelvin MacKenzie has been a columnist for The Sun for almost 6 years now and there still many people from the 1980s Sun era that still work for News Corp.

The Sun (along with News Corp) has never changed unless it is in its own terms and that same would apply after the scandal dies down!

What you have got to understand is that if you are a Liverpool supporter and you see the deaths of almost 100 of your fellow fans (not long after Heysel) and then you hear lies in the national press about them and other Liverpool FC fans. That would make you very angry!

richard1960 23-02-2012 08:58

Kelvin McKenzie does a weekly column in my paper the Daily Mail every saturday.

Chrysalis 23-02-2012 11:04

The sun showed how shallow it was when it went from tories to labour prior to when blair got elected, and again changed its colours prior to cameron been elected.

Alan Fry 23-02-2012 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35386809)
The sun showed how shallow it was when it went from tories to labour prior to when blair got elected, and again changed its colours prior to cameron been elected.

Murdoch backs only people who a a benifit for him and News Corp!

denphone 23-02-2012 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35386858)
Murdoch backs only people who a a benifit for him and News Corp!

Well thats as obvious as night turns to day Alan.

Tim Deegan 23-02-2012 14:20

It's not just about one issue with the Sun. It's about their intrusive journalism, bias, propoganda, and outright lies, that are printed to sell papers, and to brainwash people. You have to remember that they are known as the gutter press for a good reason.

denphone 23-02-2012 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35386927)
It's not just about one issue with the Sun. It's about their intrusive journalism, bias, propoganda, and outright lies, that are printed to sell papers, and to brainwash people. You have to remember that they are known as the gutter press for a good reason.

Spot on Tim.:tu:

Peter_ 23-02-2012 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35386202)
But there has to be a cut off point.

With regards to this rag the will never be a cut off point and I know that I speak for many people.

Alan Fry 23-02-2012 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35386893)
Why would you back losers?

I back people who's views I agree with!

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Quote:

The Sun/NOTW are nothing but Murdoch's mouthpeace, the sonner its shuts the better! :td:

Chrysalis 23-02-2012 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35386893)
Why would you back losers?

you back what your principles are, the sun meanwhile backs the highest bidder.

Tim Deegan 23-02-2012 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35386988)
I back people who's views I agree with!

Well you aren't a businessman are you? What the Sun do is try to get into bed with whoever is in power, and try to be their mouthpiece. Unfortunately too many people a gullable to believe the propoganda they print.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35386988)
The Sun/NOTW are nothing but Murdoch's mouthpeace, the sonner its shuts the better! :td:

You don't half talk rubbish sometimes :D

dilli-theclaw 23-02-2012 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35387091)
You don't half talk rubbish sometimes :D

Only sometimes ???!!!

Digital Fanatic 23-02-2012 18:19

Quote:

Well said :clap:

AdamD 24-02-2012 02:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35386809)

Hmm, didn't they use the headline "It was the sun which won it"?

Oh wait, sorry, it was "It's The Sun Wot Won It" :rolleyes:

Says it all really, piece of trash paper.

richard1960 24-02-2012 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35387354)
SOS will be 50p, Sun on Saturday also dropped to 50p

Link

Thats at least 50p too expensive.;)

Julian 24-02-2012 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35387354)
SOS will be 50p, Sun on Saturday also dropped to 50p

Link

Partially achieved by screwing over retailers with a reduced margin.

gazzae 24-02-2012 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 35387362)

Retailers can refuse to stock it if they are concerned about the margin. They won't do that though as it gets people into their stores who will probably buy some other tat at over inflated high-margin price.

Alan Fry 24-02-2012 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamD (Post 35387314)

What skills and qualifications do you need to work for The Sun and The Sun on Sunday? :D

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 35387362)

What was price beforehand?

Tim Deegan 24-02-2012 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35387382)
What skills and qualifications do you need to work for The Sun and The Sun on Sunday?

Are you thinking of applying for a job? :D

Alan Fry 24-02-2012 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35387391)
Are you thinking of applying for a job? :D

No, I was just wondering! :D

Alan Fry 24-02-2012 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35387402)
Well, ignoring the sneering nature of that posting:

Jounalism qualifications

Despite it's perceived nature I would guess that the Sun, Times etc would ask the same levels of qualifications as any other newspaper or media outlet.

An NVQ in baggage handling is not sufficient. :D

I thought all the skills you needed is to be good at writing rubbish and knowing how to hack into phones and computers! :D

TheDaddy 24-02-2012 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamD (Post 35387314)

Yes and hardly anyone bought that copy of the paper, Rupert would love it if his papers really could control us but he was slapped down that day by us and has since deftly gone with public opinion rather than try and make public opinion, sure he can make life hard for government but they more than anyone needed to wake up and realise it was the people not some media mogal that need to be kept happy.

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:30 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35387382)
What skills and qualifications do you need to work for The Sun and The Sun on Sunday? :D

Same as most jurno's today I'd imagine, the ability to use Google...

richard1960 24-02-2012 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35387530)
Yes and hardly anyone bought that copy of the paper, Rupert would love it if his papers really could control us but he was slapped down that day by us and has since deftly gone with public opinion rather than try and make public opinion, sure he can make life hard for government but they more than anyone needed to wake up and realise it was the people not some media mogal that need to be kept happy.

Yep i agree though i have read that when Rupert Murdoch wanted to get Sky TV up and going the then government led by Margeret Thatcher inserted a clause in the privatisation of BT bill that prevented BT from setting up a TV serivce for many years,so giving leg up to Mr Murdochs plans for Sky tv.

The rest as they say is history the govenment got favourable press and Mr Murdoch got Sky up and running,for him keeping close to those in power paid dividends in the past.

Not so sure that is the case now with the phone hacking scandal.

Alan Fry 24-02-2012 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35387538)
Yep i agree though i have read that when Rupert wanted to get Sky TV up and going the then govenment led by Margeret Thatcher inserted a clause in the privatisation of BT bill that p revented them from setting up a TV serivce for many years,so gioving leg up to Mr Murdochs plans for Sky tv.

The rest as they say is history the govenment got favourable press and Mr Murdoch got Sky up and running,for him keeping close to those in power paid dividends in the past.

Not so sure that is the case now with the phone hacking scandal.

I thought the clause was to protect cable companies (even thought BT ran a cable network until the late 1990s)

richard1960 24-02-2012 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35387540)
I thought the clause was to protect cable companies (even thought BT ran a cable network until the late 1990s)

The clause was more benefical to Rupert Murdoch as the cable companies were going to be deep in debt from getting the infrastructure up and running.

The only competition he might have got in the early days was from BT who would have had the cash,but were prevented from operating a TV service.

Alan Fry 24-02-2012 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35387542)
The clause was more benefical to Rupert Murdoch as the cable companies were deep in debt from getting the infrastructure up and running.

The only competition he might have got in the early days was from BT who would have had the cash,but were prevented from operating a TV service.

Well they did operate a cable TV service in Milton Keynes and Wesmister!

richard1960 24-02-2012 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35387545)
Well they did operate a cable TV service in Milton Keynes and Wesmister!

They did but to all intents and prurposes Alan that is not really a great threat to Sky is it and was only a very localised service.:erm:

Julian 24-02-2012 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by gazzae (Post 35387379)
Retailers can refuse to stock it if they are concerned about the margin.

They are already planning that and do with other titles. Also no involvement in promotions etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gazzae (Post 35387379)
They won't do that though as it gets people into their stores who will probably buy some other tat at over inflated high-margin price.

Blimey, you need to try shopping around a bit. ;)

Alan Fry 24-02-2012 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35387547)
They did but to all intents and prurposes Alan that is not really a great threat to Sky is it and was only a very localised service.:erm:

I know and they ended up selling it to NTL (but kept the network itself) in the late 1990s

Hugh 24-02-2012 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Fry (Post 35387409)
I thought all the skills you needed is to be good at writing rubbish and knowing how to hack into phones and computers! :D

Well, you're halfway there....;)