Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Add a second router for 2 wireless networks? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685863)

cookie_365 24-02-2012 22:25

Add a second router for 2 wireless networks?

I've had my Superhub for a couple of weeks, set to modem only mode, with my existing Buffallo router connected and providing my wifi network.

It's all working fine.

I've set it up this way because I have a couple of media boxes and other stuff that I spent some time setting up and allocating fixed IP addresses and so on and I didn't want to spend time redoing everything on the superhub.

But it would make sense to move the connections over if I can as and when, so would it be possible for me to turn the Superhub router functions back on so I have 2 wifi networks, moving stuff from the Buffallo wifi to the Superhub wifi one item at a time?

In other words, can I turn the Superhub wifi back on without breaking the Buffallo wifi?

thenry 24-02-2012 22:46

Re: Add a second router for 2 wireless networks?

why would it make sense? youll flood the device. not a good idea. are you itching to use the SHs wireless?

cookie_365 24-02-2012 22:51

Thanks thenry - what do you mean by flood the device?

I'm not too fussed about it, it just makes sense to have one less device plugged into the mains, but I don't fancy having to get all the wifi clients set up in one go.

pythagoras 24-02-2012 22:54

I have two wireless networks running, the superhub is set to 5ghz and then dir 615 running dd-wrt is running a 2.4ghz network. This works really well for me.

Regards

John

thenry 24-02-2012 23:07

you might as well switch everything over to the SH. flood=ips not propely managed/filtered etc. also conflict between both units unless you toy with settings.. seriously you may as well setup your SH if you want rid of your second router and have no plans on an router upgrade.

qasdfdsaq 25-02-2012 05:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenry (Post 35387796)
you might as well switch everything over to the SH. flood=ips not propely managed/filtered etc. also conflict between both units unless you toy with settings.. seriously you may as well setup your SH if you want rid of your second router and have no plans on an router upgrade.

This.

cookie_365 25-02-2012 15:48

Thanks all, I'll stick with modem mode then.

General Maximus 25-02-2012 20:08

you don't want to be relying on the shub for anything wireless dude. You would be better off sticking with your current router or buying a newer one if you need something faster/more up to date

Gavin78 27-02-2012 15:03

I tried to setup 2 wireless networks with the WNR2000 and get net router it didn't work.

I run the getnet router upstairs via ethernet but wanted to run my stepsosn xbox from that router via ethernet and have everthing else from the router wireless but everytime he booted up the xbox his ethernet stopped mine from working. then the net kept going off then coming back on about 2 mins later is if the IP's were conflicting.

Gave it up as a bad job in the end

General Maximus 27-02-2012 15:18

only one of the routers should be set up for dhcp that way it will stop the second one from handing out ip addresses. Secondly, on my router I can assign static ip addresses so your pc could be 192.168.100.1, laptop 192.168.100.2, xbox 192.168.100.3 etc etc