Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Linear is old tech - on demand is the future (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705051)

1andrew1 23-08-2017 00:19

Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Well worth a read.
Quote:

The demise of television has been wrongly predicted many times but streaming and on-demand viewing are changing the way we consume TV. We could be reaching a tipping point.
https://www.standard.co.uk/business/...-a3617241.html

OLD BOY 23-08-2017 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35913724)

Good fond, Andrew. This article explains it very well.

OLD BOY 07-09-2017 10:08

Interesting article here about the viewing traits of US millenials, with under 35s now watching 55% of their TV through their own recordings/on demand/OTT. Tolerence to advertisements is declining.

They haven't caught up with me yet - 100% own recordings/on demand/OTT and no ads, but I guess even the youngsters have difficulty keeping up!

This tends to confirm my prediction that these new viewing choices will be the norm across the age ranges in the not too distant future, with all the implications this has for traditional broadcast channels.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...-than-live-tv/

buckeye 14-09-2017 15:55

I think I owe OLD BOY an apology, I thought there was no way the likes of Amazon would spend the fortunes necessary to secure the pan regional rights for major sports events but I've just realised (somewhat belatedly) they will be showing live Thursday night NFL games this season.

Whilst this is most likely the cheapest package of NFL games available it shows they might be serious players in the sports rights business.
Although I do believe pan regional rights for even the cheapest Premier League package would cost a lot more than these NFL rights Amazon has acquired.

OLD BOY 04-10-2017 13:51

This article should please Den and his followers - a new type of dynamic linear channel. Perhaps this may offer existing broadcasters a lifeline.

The idea is that through artificial intelligence, the system will learn what you like and prepare schedules for you to reflect your taste. So if you prefer your TV already scheduled for you, this could be the answer.

I might even make some limited use of that myself, as long as I didn't have to sit through the boring adverts, which presumably, would also be taylored to my preferences!

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/75368...ital-channels/

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------
Zone TV taps AI for self-scheduling digital channels

US and Canada-based OTT TV technology outfit Zone-TV is planning to tap the power of artificial intelligence to launch an OTT TV service with ‘linear-like’ channels that automatically schedule themselves according to the preference of the individual viewer.

Zone-TV, formerly known as ES3, has acquired rights to about 70,000 shows not previously seen on TV to populate what it is describing as 14 ‘dynamic channels’.

The group said that the channels would contain human-curated digital-first content but that the schedule of each would be modified by artificial intelligence in line with the tastes and interests of viewers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 35916413)
I think I owe OLD BOY an apology, I thought there was no way the likes of Amazon would spend the fortunes necessary to secure the pan regional rights for major sports events but I've just realised (somewhat belatedly) they will be showing live Thursday night NFL games this season.

Whilst this is most likely the cheapest package of NFL games available it shows they might be serious players in the sports rights business.
Although I do believe pan regional rights for even the cheapest Premier League package would cost a lot more than these NFL rights Amazon has acquired.

No apology needed, Buckeye. It is difficult to work out how things could change in the future. Change often happens in ways you least expect!

It would not surprise me at all if Amazon made a play for the Premier League, but personally I hope it's Discovery that do this, which will even things up with Sky.

muppetman11 04-10-2017 15:56

Sounds like a gimmick at best.

denphone 04-10-2017 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35918970)

l have to concur with you MM.

OLD BOY 04-10-2017 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35918970)

So you prefer your TV schedules full of crap that you don't want to see rather than programmes that are more atuned to your taste?

How very strange. Ah well...

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35918971)
l have to concur with you MM.

I expected no less, Den!

denphone 04-10-2017 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35918980)
So you prefer your TV schedules full of crap that you don't want to see rather than programmes that are more atuned to your taste?

How very strange. Ah well,

You seem to think that everybody thinks like you OB but many do not..

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35918980)
I expected no less, Den!

You might be surprised OB as l do agree with a few of your musings.;)

OLD BOY 04-10-2017 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35918983)

You seem to think that everybody thinks like you OB but many do not..

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

You might be surprised OB as l do agree with a few of your musings.;)

Hence my question to MM, Den.

Look, at the moment, I could put on ITV on Saturday and get a choice of The Family Chase, The X Factor, Jonathan Ross, News, American Pie.

If I set my preferences to news, dramas and chat shows, my selection might become Liar, Victoria, Jonathan Ross, News, Lethal Weapon. It's still ITV, and all the programmes are extracted from the same week, but the shows are now to my liking.

Conversely, a person who likes talent contests, reality documentaries and soaps might have the choice of The Family Chase, The X-Factor, Coronation Street, Tipping Point, Call the Cleaners, Britain's Claim Culture: Tonight and An Hour to Catch a Killer with Trevor McDonald.

Call it a gimmick if you like, but this actually makes linear viewing far more acceptable and tailored to the needs of the individual or family.

What's not to like?

theone2k10 04-10-2017 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35918989)
Hence my question to MM, Den.

Look, at the moment, I could put on ITV on Saturday and get a choice of The Family Chase, The X Factor, Jonathan Ross, News, American Pie.

If I set my preferences to news, dramas and chat shows, my selection might become Liar, Victoria, Jonathan Ross, News, Lethal Weapon. It's still ITV, and all the programmes are extracted from the same week, but the shows are now to my liking.

Conversely, a person who likes talent contests, reality documentaries and soaps might have the choice of The Family Chase, The X-Factor, Coronation Street, Tipping Point, Call the Cleaners, Britain's Claim Culture: Tonight and An Hour to Catch a Killer with Trevor McDonald.

Call it a gimmick if you like, but this actually makes linear viewing far more acceptable and tailored to the needs of the individual or family.

What's not to like?

I quite like this idea tbh.

OLD BOY 04-10-2017 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35918995)
I quite like this idea tbh.

Yes, this could save linear tv, in my view.

denphone 04-10-2017 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35919001)

Still peddling the old propaganda l see..;)

OLD BOY 04-10-2017 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35919002)
Still peddling the old propaganda l see..;)

Actually, this offers linear tv a lifeline, much to my surprise!

Thought you'd be pleased... :confused:

spiderplant 04-10-2017 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35919001)

It could save streaming in my view. At last people don't have to make a choice what to watch.