Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Local Elections - 2017 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704856)

Hugh 05-05-2017 09:58

Local Elections - 2017

Labour's latest slogan - "We're not doing as badly as we thought we would"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...=facebook-post

Quote:

Ms Mansell described the narrow loss as "incredible", considering six of the nine constituencies that make up the West of England region are Conservative....

...Ms Mansell urged voters to back Labour candidates in the General Election.

"We have some great candidates," she said, adding that she was now returning to work for the NHS. "I would like to wish them the best of luck in the campaign."

And the Labour party lost less badly than had been expected in Wales, a key area for the Conservatives' plan to take seats in next month's election.
Or as it's put in another story in the same paper

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7718676.html
Quote:

Labour's hopes of preventing a Tory landslide in next month's general election have suffered a demoralising blow after a night of losses in local elections.

Results are still coming in across the country but Jeremy Corbyn's party had lost at least 125 council seats by 9am.

The Conservatives won the West of England metro-mayor contest and gained control of five councils on an encouraging night for the Prime Minister.

Early signs were that they had profited as the Ukip vote collapsed, with Paul Nuttall's party failing to hold a single seat as the early counts came back.

Sirius 05-05-2017 10:00

Re: Local Elections - 2017

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35897606)
Labour's latest slogan - "We're not doing as badly as we thought we would"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...=facebook-post

I am looking forward to the beating there going to get in the General Election :)

papa smurf 05-05-2017 10:04

come on we can pull it back go team labour :cleader:

Osem 05-05-2017 10:29

Corbyn's cronies must be running around like headless chickens searching for excuses we haven't heard from them oh so many times before.

v0id 05-05-2017 11:33

Honesty I'll be happy if Labour win back all the seats the SNP took in the last election.

Hopefully it would shut up that Sturgeon once and for all

heero_yuy 05-05-2017 11:45

Tory's are also on for a few north of the boarder, together they'll silence the fishwife for a while.

Osem 05-05-2017 12:06

When's Corbyn going to appear and tell us how well they've done in the circumstances and these results reaffirm the public's faith in his leadership? :D

Taf 05-05-2017 12:28

As usual I'm finding it impossible to see the actual number of votes for each local candidate. It's like they have done the hard bit (getting elected) now we can all sod off....

nomadking 05-05-2017 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35897643)
As usual I'm finding it impossible to see the actual number of votes for each local candidate. It's like they have done the hard bit (getting elected) now we can all sod off....

Local press websites are the best bet. There are over 4,800 seats being contested so it's not a simple matter.

Kursk 05-05-2017 12:52

Labour need to put Diane Abbott forward urgently to provide a review of the figures. They need that special spin to reinvigorate Labour before the real test next month. A car crash awaits....

Osem 05-05-2017 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35897645)
Labour need to put Diane Abbott forward urgently to provide a review of the figures. They need that special spin to reinvigorate Labour before the real test next month. A car crash awaits....

I've just been listening to her on BBC2, she's still not conceding that this has anything to do with Corbyn's 'leadership' even though he's been out there campaigning more than ever before and this is the result. :D

Is it just me of does she sound more like that renowned washing machine salesman Keith Vaz every day? :shrug:

Kursk 05-05-2017 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35897646)
I've just been listening to her on BBC2

Presumably collecting yet another taxpayers' fee. There are some figures she understands very well indeed.

adzii_nufc 05-05-2017 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35897627)
Honesty I'll be happy if Labour win back all the seats the SNP took in the last election.

Hopefully it would shut up that Sturgeon once and for all

I'd actually have liked that too even though that's not the party where my vote's going.

Seems like the UKIP momentum they had in the last GE has literally just died.

Chris 05-05-2017 13:19

Glasgow Shettleston has just elected a Tory to the city council. :rofl:

Osem 05-05-2017 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35897649)
I'd actually have liked that too even though that's not the party where my vote's going.

Seems like the UKIP momentum they had in the last GE has literally just died.

It was inevitable as many UKIP voters will have realised that the only way to get what they want now is to vote Tory rather than risk splitting the pro-Brexit vote and letting other parties in. This process has started now in the local elections and I expect it to continue. It'll be interesting to see how UKIP fares next time around. Brexit was always going to be the primary reason a lot of people voted for UKIP in the first place.