Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Unexpected ripp off - worth knowing. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33683344)

bw41101 02-12-2011 22:27

Unexpected ripp off - worth knowing.

Greetings all;

Got my monthly E Bill today and noticed that I'd been charged for some calls made during the last month. As I'm on the Talk Unlimited package and recently been tickled for the 08 service, I was put out to discover the charges.

Upon querying this with VM I discovered that a few times I'd checked my phone for calls using the 1471 option and then pressed 3 to return the call. I couldn't believe what I was told - I had been charged for the connection and irrespective of what (cost saving) package I was on it made no difference - WHAT!!

What really galled me was that the VM rep was not prepared to refund me for something I was totally unaware of. This is the kind of lowlife stunt that I would expect (rip off) BT to pull not VM -

Not impressed and very disappointing!

Si thee :Sprint:

Digital Fanatic 02-12-2011 22:45

Re: Unexpected ripp off - worth knowing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bw41101 (Post 35339539)
Greetings all;

Got my monthly E Bill today and noticed that I'd been charged for some calls made during the last month. As I'm on the Talk Unlimited package and recently been tickled for the 08 service, I was put out to discover the charges.

Upon querying this with VM I discovered that a few times I'd checked my phone for calls using the 1471 option and then pressed 3 to return the call. I couldn't believe what I was told - I had been charged for the connection and irrespective of what (cost saving) package I was on it made no difference - WHAT!!

What really galled me was that the VM rep was not prepared to refund me for something I was totally unaware of. This is the kind of lowlife stunt that I would expect (rip off) BT to pull not VM -

It's been like that for a while TBH. If you listen it does advise a charge.

Peter_ 03-12-2011 06:31

The charge is mentioned on this page below and it is also mentioned when you ring 1471 but you have to listen to the whole message in order to hear it.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/phone/calling-features.html

Quote:

A charge sometimes applies1

http://shop.virginmedia.com/img/icons/hide.png
Last Number Recall (1471)

Lets you know the last number that called you and allows you return the call.
Calling 1471 is free, but if you choose to return the call you will be charged 16.34p, in addition to your call charges.

Quote:

Calling 1471 is free, but if you choose to return the call (that's Option 3) you will be charged 16.34p, in addition to your call charges - please listen to the announcement carefully.

nodrogd 03-12-2011 12:05

The charge for ringback goes back at least 2 years, as you can see by this thread, and as you will note, it used to cost considerably more.

howardmicks 03-12-2011 12:13

Same thing happened to me,But when i contacted vm the charges where credited back to my account.certainly wont make that mistake again

bw41101 03-12-2011 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35339543)
It's been like that for a while TBH. If you listen it does advise a charge.

Agreed, but to my mind the message is misleading as it infers that there "may" be a charge - not when (in reality) there always is.

Hugh 03-12-2011 17:04

It appears to say there will be a charge, not infer that there may....

Wild Oscar 04-12-2011 19:56

New one on me ... thanks for the information!

Although I'd always break the connection and dial anew , rather than use the '3' option anyway ..

Tim Deegan 04-12-2011 21:39

In future just dial 1471, then make a note of the number. Then dial it. Problem solved, with no charge.

Hugh 04-12-2011 22:36

Thank you, Tim - that suggestion brought a smile to my face.

Tim Deegan 04-12-2011 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35340550)
Thank you, Tim - that suggestion brought a smile to my face.

Well it's true, isn't it?

Digital Fanatic 04-12-2011 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Deegan (Post 35340576)
Well it's true, isn't it?

It is, yes. :)

Mr Angry 05-12-2011 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by bw41101 (Post 35339864)
....the message is misleading as it infers that there "may" be a charge - not when (in reality) there always is.

Same here in Angry towers.

m419 11-12-2011 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by bw41101 (Post 35339539)
Greetings all;

All phone companies apart from Vodafone and O2's 1471 charge for returning the call.

Virgin Media and BT do tell you that there is a charge before using the service as it says 'Just so you know, there maybe a charge for returning a call' and BT's one says something like 'there is normally a charge for the service'