Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Shifting modem (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33691800)

misog 01-02-2013 18:46

Shifting modem

At present I have a V+ box and telephone in the lounge and my 20M broadband modem in another room.
I want to move my PC and modem into the lounge but Virgin want £99 to move the modem.
Can I pick up a broadband connection off the connection box for the V+ or what other options have I got.

£

thenry 01-02-2013 19:34

Re: Shifting modem

you can do it yourself or call into VM and sort your package out. your V+ can be upgraded to a TiVo which will require a tech visit. ask the tech to move the modem while hes there. your 20meg will go to 60meg if you havent already been doubled. that will require a SuperHub. if you log into MyVirginMedia you may have an early upgrade option up top. this could be a self install, SuperHub being sent via HDNL/Yodel or a tech booking will be stated.

Sephiroth 01-02-2013 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by misog (Post 35530361)
At present I have a V+ box and telephone in the lounge and my 20M broadband modem in another room.
I want to move my PC and modem into the lounge but Virgin want £99 to move the modem.
Can I pick up a broadband connection off the connection box for the V+ or what other options have I got.

To answer your question directly, in case you want to stay with your existing package, you need a cable tv splitter in the lounge.

Incoming coax goes into the splitter, V+ and Modem come out of the splitter. Simples.

You can buy splitter on ebay.

e.g: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-Sign...-/220504724690

£

misog 01-02-2013 20:28

Thanks Seph .
A splitter should be the simple answer BUT im not sure it will work.
As I have been a cable customer for many years my front garden is full of siamese cables which makes gardening interesting.
This means that my TV, Broadband and even telephone are on separate cables back to the cab.
If I pick up my broadband off the TV feed will it leave a noisy back end from the old unterminated broadband connection.

Sephiroth 01-02-2013 21:10

Simply buy a terminator or two as well. It'll work - but to be sure, just connect the modem to the V+ box and see what happens. The VM end responds to the IP header from your modem, not to the dumb tap point to which it is connected.

Let us know.

misog 02-02-2013 10:19

I connected the modem to the coax supplying the V+ and it worked OK thanks.
I will pick up a splitter from Maplins this afternoon.
I am concerned that the splitter may reduce the signal too much so I can return it if I have problems.
In the past the techs, rather than running a new cable for the V+, patched it onto a cable next door so its a bit flakey out there.

I have just checked the power levels and have 12.6dBmv with a SNR of 37.7 so cant see that I should have problems

Sephiroth 02-02-2013 10:54

The 12.6 dBmv will need taking down. The splitter will knock off about 4 dB but if you can get a 6 dB forward path attenuator as well, that would put the modem at less risk. Sometimes the SH can hack 10 or 12 dBmb; mine won't work properly if downstream power exceeds 7 dBmv.

qasdfdsaq 02-02-2013 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by misog (Post 35530512)
I am concerned that the splitter may reduce the signal too much so I can return it if I have problems.

Yes but the problem you will have is the opposite. The splitter won't reduce the signal enough. You need to reduce the signal even more.

Quote:

I have just checked the power levels and have 12.6dBmv with a SNR of 37.7 so cant see that I should have problems
The SNR is getting borderline. Splitters (and attenuators, and anything else) reduce your SNR and below 35 things can get flakey. The Superhub tends to report SNR 2-3dB higher than the old VMNG anyway, so it's "actually" already 35 by old standards.

thenry 02-02-2013 14:02

SNR will most probably rise once attenuation is applied.

Sephiroth 02-02-2013 14:10

Why?

thenry 02-02-2013 14:14

seen it before. SNR drops when high power levels are active. balancing of some sort.

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

OP needs to state his upstream level

craigj2k12 02-02-2013 14:40

SNR (ratio of signal to noise) will change if signal or noise does

Sephiroth 02-02-2013 15:14

Yes - but to wjhat effect? If it's miniscule, what's the point of mentioning it?

thenry 02-02-2013 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35530607)
The SNR is getting borderline. Splitters (and attenuators, and anything else) reduce your SNR and below 35 things can get flakey. The Superhub tends to report SNR 2-3dB higher than the old VMNG anyway, so it's "actually" already 35 by old standards.

misog 02-02-2013 15:33

Whats all this rubbish about reducing levels.
I have put the modem back onto its original connection box and have measured the levels on that cable (remember my broadband and TV are on two separate cables back to the cab) and the levels are 13.6db and a 39.1 snr. My modem has been quite happy running at that level for years.