Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33676685)

Jason1975 12-04-2011 14:45

Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

Hi Guys

Just had Virgin around to do their install, and wow it is ugly. Just had the missus freek out so I will definately have to do something to resolve this.

I am in the same line of work and have worked with cat5/6 and fibre for years. I feel I am well placed to comment on this.

Firstly, why on earth is the cable running up the side of my house black? I realise it is an external cable with special pvc coating, but they also do them in white. White would be a much better option. Then we have the ugly brown virgin box connecting the ugly black cables tacked all over the front of my house.

Also, I specified how I wanted the install done and where I wanted the cables laid and they were not installed how I instructed them to do it.

I have been warned by some other people that Virgin installs suck but wow, I did not think they would be that bad.

I have 2 options. 1, we rip out all the cables, and go back to SKY, or 2, get a different group of Virgin engineers to come and install it like I wanted it to be done.

Decisions , decisions.

Blackened 12-04-2011 15:33

Re: Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

I'll post you a picture of how my install looks inside. I guarantee you'll feel better.

Peter_ 12-04-2011 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason1975 (Post 35211096)
Hi Guys

Just had Virgin around to do their install, and wow it is ugly. Just had the missus freek out so I will definately have to do something to resolve this.

I am in the same line of work and have worked with cat5/6 and fibre for years. I feel I am well placed to comment on this.

Firstly, why on earth is the cable running up the side of my house black? I realise it is an external cable with special pvc coating, but they also do them in white. White would be a much better option. Then we have the ugly brown virgin box connecting the ugly black cables tacked all over the front of my house.

Also, I specified how I wanted the install done and where I wanted the cables laid and they were not installed how I instructed them to do it.

I have been warned by some other people that Virgin installs suck but wow, I did not think they would be that bad.

I have 2 options. 1, we rip out all the cables, and go back to SKY, or 2, get a different group of Virgin engineers to come and install it like I wanted it to be done.

Decisions , decisions.

If you have the Virginmedia phone line then call in on 150 or if you have a BT line ring 0845 454 1111 and choose the option thinking of leaving us and ask for them to come and tidy the installation up.

The cable from the cabinet only comes in black as it is a special siamese cable so the is no other option available.

I forgot to add that the OMNI boxes are also all brown.

martyh 12-04-2011 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason1975 (Post 35211096)
Hi Guys

Decisions , decisions.

Aside from the way the cable is clipped to your wall because i cannot see it so i cannot comment i think complaining about the colour of the cable and the box is ridiculous ,black cable, white cable who cares ,they buy in bulk to keep cost down for the consumer and i would daresay that white cable is more expensive, are you going to clean your cable every few months to keep it white ?

Jason1975 12-04-2011 15:41

Thanks for the advice Masque.

I have been trasfered to 6 people already today, but will try the 150 option this evening if I have not heard back fro Virgin.

Thanks again

Jason

Chris 12-04-2011 16:21

This thread really needs some photos otherwise how do we know exactly what we're commenting on?

weesteev 12-04-2011 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35211210)
This thread really needs some photos otherwise how do we know exactly what we're commenting on?

Just beat me to it...

In answer to the OP's question... an Install crew can only tidy the cable if its untidy, the Siamese cable only comes in black so they cannot change it based on the colour unfortunately. Only Internal cable is white but it is split Coax and Copper. If your looking for colour specific cable then it may be best looking into this yourself and replace what has been put in back to the omni box. If your feeling brave you could even get a customised External Termination Box?

Hope this helps.

v0id 12-04-2011 16:37

I'd much prefer black over white cable on the outside of my house.
I've seen some satelite installs with white cable, and it looks damned ugly

Nedkelly 12-04-2011 16:57

Over time white cable in the sun goes brittle and breaks down .We used to have brown cable for a while then it stoped when they for got to order brown clips for it :D

MovedGoalPosts 12-04-2011 16:57

From a personal perspective, black cables will look better on most brick nbased walls tan white. But it the wall is white painted render that is the exception when it will stand out. The point being that what will please some, won't please others. The external box being brown is going to best suit most brick properties, but could stand out on painted render.

Either VM incur significant extra costs by having a lot of varieties to deal with various possible permutations, or they go for the one size fit's al approach.

As for the actual running of cables I've always found the installers quite obliging if you are there to talk to them as they do it. But if nobody is there to give them direction on your specific routing ideas, they will do it the easiest way they can. Aesthetics need a bit of plannign and forethought and with any installer's time being money, it's not them being awkward or cutting corners, it's more they don't have the time to work out the optimum aesthetics verus practicality that you the householder may have thought of for many a month.

djmagnifique 12-04-2011 18:20

Why not just paint the cable and box white?

Sirius 12-04-2011 18:26

Photo's we need photo's :)

jordyGFC 12-04-2011 20:02

ive got a brown box (matchs my windows) with a white cable :) i had to ask them for white but...

Pierre 12-04-2011 20:12

Black cables = external

White cables = internal

they are made of different materials. The black is more durable, but gives off noxious fumes when on fire, whereas the white is less durable and doesn't give off such fumes.

Anyway white cables on a brick or stone external wall???????? Nothing looks worse.

Not installing the cables as you directed is another matter, but in regards to the colour of the cables and boxs................get over it.

Jason1975 12-04-2011 20:33

Some good points, some not so good.

Never the less here is the picture

The brown termination box should be on the far right of the window, then the telephone cable runs above the window, then down on the right to connect the box.

Anyway, possibly I have higher standards but Virgin should carry a couple of colours to best match the house. If it were to cost a few quid extra, I would happily pay it to avoide the horrible install.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]