Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Should they have replaced cable? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33675811)

dja1971 13-03-2011 14:50

Should they have replaced cable?

3 Attachment(s)
So our triple-XL installation went ahead as planned yesterday. Mostly all fine, but I have a couple of concerns (my wife was here for the install as I was away on business - so these are things I've seen on my return last night).

I know that new cable must have been run from the street to the house, as the installation had had to be put back until the construction team had dug up the road, unblocked a duct and fed the new cable. And there's a new Virgin brown box on the outside of the house. But coming into the lounge (ie inside radiator grill) there was already an old 'system outlet' box and cable (see photos) - must have been pretty old as I think the previous owner had SKY not Virgin when we bought the place. It doesn't look like they've replaced this - should they have? Will it have any effect on signal/pq if they left the old outlet and cable?

Also at the end of this length of old cable, they've just connected it on to another new cable to reach where our av will be - is this standard practice, and again, will it affect the quality of the signal/picture, etc?

Thirdly, as we are mid-renovation, they were able to take advantage of the fact that we currently have no floor and run the telephone cable under the joists - great, but (see the photo of this) is it normal for the wires to be left semi-exposed like this?

I need to contact Virgin anyway as they forgot to leave us an ethernet cable, so it would be great to get advice on whether any of the above should be cause for concern so I can get it all dealt with in one go.

nodrogd 14-03-2011 00:05

Re: Should they have replaced cable?

Looks like an old cable installation rather than satellite. The TRIS 1002A unit is an isolator which you would only find on cable installations.

Graham M 14-03-2011 00:13

That method of splicing the wires is pretty usual

dja1971 14-03-2011 07:53

Thanks - and the TRIS 1002A unit/old tv cable? Should I be bothered that they just used the old ones rather than replace them?

Paul K 14-03-2011 08:20

If it's working then don't worry, you could however contact them to raise it as a matter of principle so that if anything goes wrong you can point out to them that the installation re-used old cabling etc.

The Installer 15-03-2011 18:54

There is nothing wrong with that isolator and it isn't an old one, this is current.

Joining the phone cable like that under floorboards shouldn't give you any problems, the scotch connectors are normally used outdoors too, i wouldn't worry about this. Putting a plastic box around this wouldn't make any difference, it would purely be cosmetic and being as you probably don't have your floor boards up all the while, quite pointless really ;)

Joining the CATV cable in the way they have done in your picture, shouldn't give you any issues either. Not being able to see the whole picture it's hard to say, but they might have done this to enable you to remove the new piece they have added if you needed to for decorating or something like that????

That is just speculation however, as i don't know what your setup is.

dja1971 15-03-2011 19:04

Thats great - thanks for the reassurance!