Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Telco Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Ofcom slowing down the rollout of 4G (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687521)

m419 07-05-2012 18:21

Ofcom slowing down the rollout of 4G

Ofcom is slowing the roll out of 4G by delaying Everything Everywhere from rolling out 4G on a rapid mass scale. Ofcom is concerned that it will be operating as a monopoly and has a consultation running and investigating it. Ofcom interfering in things it shouldn't is actually holding the country back.

Everything Everywhere is a 50/50 joint venture between France Telecom and Deutsche Telekom and still trade under seperate brands which means they should not be treated as one big company, futhermore, Virgin Media and MBNL cases, 3 customers also use the same network. It is down to Telefonica-O2 and Vodafone to invest in there own networks and hurry up. Therefore in response to the consultation I made clear that a licence should be granted to Everything Everywhere .

UK Broadband, are to start services in Southwark in September, perhaps Vodafone should stop spending money acquiring profitless companies like Cable and Wireless and start investing in 4G, they haven't even completed 3G let alone start off 4G.

Stuart 07-05-2012 19:49

Re: Ofcom slowing down the rollout of 4G

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35424590)
Ofcom is slowing the roll out of 4G by delaying Everything Everywhere from rolling out 4G on a rapid mass scale. Ofcom is concerned that it will be operating as a monopoly and has a consultation running and investigating it. Ofcom interfering in things it shouldn't is actually holding the country back.

Everything Everywhere is a 50/50 joint venture between France Telecom and Deutsche Telekom and still trade under seperate brands which means they should not be treated as one big company, futhermore, Virgin Media and MBNL cases, 3 customers also use the same network. It is down to Telefonica-O2 and Vodafone to invest in there own networks and hurry up. Therefore in response to the consultation I made clear that a licence should be granted to Everything Everywhere .

UK Broadband, are to start services in Southwark in September, perhaps Vodafone should stop spending money acquiring profitless companies like Cable and Wireless and start investing in 4G, they haven't even completed 3G let alone start off 4G.

For a start, regardless of how many names they trade under, Everything Everywhere is one company (they would not have gone to the bother and expense of merging T mobile and Orange if they hadn't intended to operate as one company). Monopolies are not good for anyone, least of all the consumer.

Second thing, O2 is currently trialling 4g in various areas (the London trial finished, but I believe they are trying it elsewhere), and I'd be staggered if Vodafone were not trying it.

m419 10-05-2012 02:45

Everything starts off as a monopoly and anyway it will be for a short while only, Cable TV has always been a monopoly, BT residential telephone services was a monopoly under private ownership from 1984 till 1994 and in some areas later than that, Mercury 131 was a joke so I wouldn't even classify that as a successful rival. And Vodafone you will be waiting a long time for that to happen, they are busy trying to takeover Cable and Wireless Worldwide, a useful tool for Vodafone 4G

Hom3r 12-05-2012 21:43

Whenever 4G comes along I doubt the iPad 3 will not be able to use it :D

Graham M 12-05-2012 21:45

By the time we see 4g the latest ipad will have been surpassed once or twice in generation. Anyway at least I would imagine.

Stuart 12-05-2012 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by m419 (Post 35425827)
Everything starts off as a monopoly and anyway it will be for a short while only, Cable TV has always been a monopoly, BT residential telephone services was a monopoly under private ownership from 1984 till 1994 and in some areas later than that, Mercury 131 was a joke so I wouldn't even classify that as a successful rival. And Vodafone you will be waiting a long time for that to happen, they are busy trying to takeover Cable and Wireless Worldwide, a useful tool for Vodafone 4G

How do you know that the other networks aren't upgrading their networks now? The fact they don't currently have licences doesn't mean they can't install the hardware. O2, for instance, is currently in the middle of the largest trial of 4g in the country.

m419 15-05-2012 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35426944)
How do you know that the other networks aren't upgrading their networks now? The fact they don't currently have licences doesn't mean they can't install the hardware. O2, for instance, is currently in the middle of the largest trial of 4g in the country.

Of course, you're very right there they need to test the technology out before they roll out anything and O2 for one have been testing it out in the slough area for some time, but obviously they are behind otherwise Ofcom wouldn't be worried about a monopoly forming, I've also heard a rumour that the iphone 5 maybe 4G compatible but do you think this is true??? I very much doubt it.

Ignitionnet 21-05-2012 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35426896)
Whenever 4G comes along I doubt the iPad 3 will not be able to use it :D

It won't, different frequency plans.