Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Samsung V+ HD power lead (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33675278)

CFman 23-02-2011 12:30

Samsung V+ HD power lead

Can someone tell me if the Samsung V+ HD box needs an adapter for power. The mains cable socket matches the power socket at the rear of the box but the check list includes an adapter but it has the wrong type of connector. Thanks in advance.

Peter_ 23-02-2011 12:31

Re: Samsung V+ HD power lead

It is just a standard two pin lead as you can see in this link on the bottom left of the picture. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ections%29.jpg

http://www.mkcables.com/images/mk27-0112.jpg

That is probably a generic sheet with regards the small Cisco HD box.

CFman 23-02-2011 12:57

Thanks Masque, this is what I thought but when I rang Virgin they said it needs an adapter and they would send a replacement one. It'll be interesting to see what they send tomorrow.

Peter_ 23-02-2011 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFman (Post 35180528)
Thanks Masque, this is what I thought but when I rang Virgin they said it needs an adapter and they would send a replacement one. It'll be interesting to see what they send tomorrow.

Now that will be interesting as I have a SA at home and the Samsungs in work have no adaptors so they must be sending a Cisco power pack.

Why do you need a power lead anyway.

This is the power lead for a Samsung on the left.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2011/02/19.jpg

CFman 23-02-2011 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35180583)
Why do you need a power lead anyway.

Not sure why you ask this but I do have the same power lead as yours. It was just the adapter that was the query. Thanks.

Peter_ 23-02-2011 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFman (Post 35180624)
Not sure why you ask this but I do have the same power lead as yours. It was just the adapter that was the query. Thanks.

I am just curious that they can send out an adaptor for a box that has no need for an adaptor, whatever you receive do not attempt to plug it in as you will blow the box.

I thought maybe you had damaged the cable or something but I think you have just received a Quickstart box with a generic sheet in the box.

weesteev 23-02-2011 14:57

Its very likely he will just receive an identical power lead...

Peter_ 23-02-2011 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35180654)
Its very likely he will just receive an identical power lead...

I think I can guess where the call centre is based.;)

spiderplant 23-02-2011 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFman (Post 35180501)
Can someone tell me if the Samsung V+ HD box needs an adapter for power. The mains cable socket matches the power socket at the rear of the box but the check list includes an adapter but it has the wrong type of connector. Thanks in advance.

Could you post a picture of this checklist, and tell us how you received it? It seems somebody may be sending the wrong things out.

Peter_ 23-02-2011 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35180664)
Could you post a picture of this checklist, and tell us how you received it? It seems somebody may be sending the wrong things out.

We do have people getting standard modems with the advice sheet for the hub in the box so it must be at source.

CFman 23-02-2011 16:43

I haven't got the checklist with me now but I guess it was just the wrong checklist they sent out.
Things happened as follows:
1. Ordered V+ HD box from Virgin.
2. Package arrived and checklist included an adapter.
3. No adapter in package.
4. Rang Virgin and they said it definitely needs an adapter even after telling them that the socket fits into the back of the box.
5. Adapter arrives but with the 'wrong' socket.
6. Rang Virgin who say they'll send another adapter.
7. 'Different' adapter coming tomorrow.

In the meantime I've set the new box up and everything is working fine.

When the 'different' adapter arrives I'll post what type it is.

Peter_ 23-02-2011 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFman (Post 35180730)

When the 'different' adapter arrives I'll post what type it is.

As Spiderplant said it may well be a new power lead, if they have sent a powerpack then they are a bit stupid.

weesteev 24-02-2011 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35180871)
As Spiderplant said it may well be a new power lead, if they have sent a powerpack then they are a bit stupid.

Amen, there is no different power lead for the box. I wouldn't waste any more of your time as this is becoming a bit of a pointless exercise really, your box is working and you have everything you should have.

Peter_ 24-02-2011 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35181161)
Amen, there is no different power lead for the box. I wouldn't waste any more of your time as this is becoming a bit of a pointless exercise really, your box is working and you have everything you should have.

I just found it amusing especially on my day off.:D

spiderplant 24-02-2011 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35181161)

The trouble is he appears to have been sent the wrong checklist (or the checklist is wrong). I want to understand how that happened so we can put a stop to it.