Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33699174)

InsaneNutter 24-10-2014 09:48

Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode

In the office we have Virgins 50mbit business broadband, of course as we all know modem mode was never available on the business firmware. However when I logged on to the modem this morning I noticed I now have the option of enabling modem mode.

The Superhub is a VMDG480
Software Version: BUS_V2.37.13
Hardware Version: 2.00

I’m not sure how long this has been available, I’ve not been able to find much from searching about it either. If I was to enable modem mode does anyone know if I still make use of the Static IP Subnet assigned by Virgin?

At present all the Superhub does is provide the internet connection, we have 5x static ip addresses and our own router / firewall.

For some reason our Superhub has however been dead for the last three mornings in a row (previously worked fine since we got it in May) I was thinking it might be more stable in modem mode going by past experience with the residential version at home, however I can’t really play about with the internet in office hours.

Screenshot of the Modem Mode settings on the Business firmware:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2014/10/7.jpg

Kushan 24-10-2014 11:22

Re: Virgin Business Superhub now has Modem Mode

About time!

APS 24-10-2014 11:49

Just checked and we too have that firmware revision, which I suspect was loaded very recently.

I revisited the website for their new Cable Broadband offering and see there is now mention of a fixed IP connection ("where available") for the 152 Mb/s service.

I wonder if enabling the modem mode in older modems has anything to do with that change, although I know the new service is supposed to be provided to new customers with a newer Superhub design.

Maybe though it is a sign they are planning to change the way they provision fixed IP addresses perhaps going back to the long lease IP solution they used to use.

ccarmock 24-10-2014 23:12

Still have BUS_V2.37.06 here. tried a reboot to force an update but still the same....

I think the fixed IP where available message has been there for a while. elsewhere on the website it's worded:-

Choose from our 152Mbit/s package from just £45 a month (excl VAT) or for £40 a month (excl VAT) get speeds up to 50Mbit/s and an inclusive static IP upon request.

So mentions the fixed IP address only with the 50 Mb/s service - ie that provided by a Superhub 1.

So I think we still need to wait for the business firmware for the Superhub 2AC. Hope they get a move on with that. The website doesn't provide the details about this service as there is no mention of the routed subnet option but that is available but again only on the 50 Mb/s service

qasdfdsaq 24-10-2014 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsaneNutter (Post 35737162)
I’m not sure how long this has been available, I’ve not been able to find much from searching about it either. If I was to enable modem mode does anyone know if I still make use of the Static IP Subnet assigned by Virgin?

In modem mode the modem does not deal with the routed subnet, you have to do that yourself.

ccarmock 24-10-2014 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35737362)
In modem mode the modem does not deal with the routed subnet, you have to do that yourself.

Which is why the *could* offer the fixed IP/routed subnet option on the 152 Mb/s service today in modem mode - as long as you could run the L2TP tunnel on the router you put behind the Superhub.

I guess they want an 'out of the box' solution though to make support more streamlined.

qasdfdsaq 25-10-2014 00:02

Indeed. Or charge more for the 'managed' service.

To be fair if I was desperate I'd buy a bunch of IPs, rent a server somewhere and run my own L2TP tunnel to it. No real reason to rely on Virgin Media, it's not like their method is 'special' or network specific in any way.

InsaneNutter 29-10-2014 08:36

Virgin has downgraded our Superhub to the previous BUS_V2.37.06 firmware as BUS_V2.37.13 kept crashing our Superhub every 12-14 hours. Two days later and it’s still going strong.

APS 29-10-2014 11:04

We still have the .13 version in ours but we are now suffering local outages in our area (both domestic and our business line plus our ISDN30).

Having spent a total of more than 3 hours in queues to business faults in the last week I would not recommend anyone sign up to Virginmedia Business at the moment. Not being able to report a faults for over an hour is not only frustrating but makes their SLAs a joke.

I have complained to several people about this by email and phone. I got no response to an email (sent via a form on their site). The staff on the phone were very apologetic and said they were grossly understaffed but measures were being put in place to recruit more staff (one lady said she was one of them)! How have management let it get to this state I ask?!

ccarmock 31-10-2014 15:37

I spoke to VM Business sales today about the fixed IP options on the new 152 Mb/s business service. I was told still not available yet, and while to can't quote exact time frames they are expecting it during Quarter 1 next year, and will be, as now for the 50 Mb/s service - single fixed IP address or routed subnet.

He said they have had a lot of enquiries about it, so it is a priority.

Waiting on business firmware for the SH2 AC I gather.

rhyds 31-10-2014 15:45

Any news on routed subnets on 152mbit?

ccarmock 31-10-2014 16:28

Someone from the sales team told me to expect that in Q1 next year

rhyds 31-10-2014 16:32

Thanks. Might be something for us to consider

ccarmock 02-11-2014 13:29

Hopefully the timing isn't too far out. I suspect the options they need (L2TP config) are there in the base Superhub config, they just need to surface them in the GUI, so I am surprised it's taking so long :-)

Ignitionnet 02-11-2014 14:54

PPP appears to do some rather bad things to some VM CPE when running at the higher data rates right now, so a few issues to iron out.