Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Your favourite 'gadgets' - NOT phones :) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33697419)

Osem 19-04-2014 14:18

Your favourite 'gadgets' - NOT phones :)

They could be DIY tools, bits of kitchen equipment or other useful household items but what are your favourite 'gadgets'.

I'll start with a few off the top of my head, the first of which inspired this thread:

• Dandy Brush & Roller cleaner - A cheap and simple device which makes cleaning paint brushes & rollers hassle free.
  • Zyliss garlic press - I've had many over the years but this one's the best by far - simple, robust & effective.
  • Victorinox Swiss army knife - always useful for a multitude of things.
  • Lloytron battery charger - charges NiMH & refreshes alkaline AA & AAA batteries & has saved me a fortune.
  • Chef Tony high powered blender - Totally converted by this machine, it's brilliant.
  • Philips personal DAB radio - Used almost every night for at least 5 years. I can listen to the radio in bed & Mrs Osem's snoring doesn't disturb me... :D

dilli-theclaw 19-04-2014 14:19

Re: Your favourite 'gadgets' - NOT phones :)

I suppose my talking stuff, and my Perkins would have to come at the top of my list ;) Oh and my portable DAISY player.

Osem 19-04-2014 14:32

I forgot to mention Osem Jnr #2's cheap Android tablet which keeps him entertained doing puzzles, learning games, watching videos etc. for hours.

weenie 19-04-2014 15:02

Samsung tablet for the wee one keeps him entertained when visiting his grandparents who are 80 and don't have sky tv, virgin media or internet and can't get out to play as they live on a very busy street so not to safe :confused: how did I survive I grew up there mostly playing on my skateboard and Raleigh grifter bike in the multi storey car park dangerous I know but it was fun.

Kindle
Electric can opener

Hugh 19-04-2014 15:24

Panasonic bread maker
iPad
Bose noise-cancelling headphones

solitaire 19-04-2014 15:28

My Ipad and a Tassimo Coffee maker

Taf 19-04-2014 17:10

Alligator nut wrench, it'll grip any size or shape nut

http://www.toolsforstagecraft.com/gatorgripkit.jpg

Osem 19-04-2014 17:17

Yeah I have one of those and another type with square pins. They don't get used often but are very handy at times.

CycoSymz 19-04-2014 18:17

I've always got a Victorinox Swiss Army knife in my poicket.

Ravenheart 19-04-2014 19:34

First one off the top of my head is my Master Eze opener, I got it around 20 years ago after my RA diagnosis and to this day is the only jar/bottle opener I can use easily. Tried numerous others since at trade fairs/disability awareness events etc, but struggle to open anything with them.

I've also found it great for tightening plastic plumbing parts

Don't think you can get them now, but there is a similar device called a boa which looks very similar

Edit: Seems they're still available, from the guy in South Africa who patented it in 1955 http://www.colliertd.co.za/master-eze-opener.html :)

alferret 19-04-2014 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenheart (Post 35690408)
First one off the top of my head is my Master Eze opener, I got it around 20 years ago after my RA diagnosis and to this day is the only jar/bottle opener I can use easily. Tried numerous others since at trade fairs/disability awareness events etc, but struggle to open anything with them.

I've also found it great for tightening plastic plumbing parts

Don't think you can get them now, but there is a similar device called a boa which looks very similar

Edit: Seems they're still available, from the guy in South Africa who patented it in 1955 http://www.colliertd.co.za/master-eze-opener.html :)

Great for oil filters.

Uncle Peter 19-04-2014 23:30

iPad

Yamaha MG102 Mixer (audio, not cakes ;))

"Holy Moses" mountain bike light

DeWalt 800W SDS+ Hammer Drill

Anything that can open a bottle of wine

MadGamer 19-04-2014 23:41

Bose Cinemate 1SR
Xbox One
iPod (I don't leave the house without it)
iPad

Jimmy-J 20-04-2014 10:43

Clip On Loupe

007stuart 20-04-2014 11:17

SONOS Music System = no more changing CD's when the album finishes, just fire up the app, select something else and sit back and enjoy. BTW it is multi room, party mode for all speakers or separate speakers and enjoy different tracks in each room

broadbandking 20-04-2014 11:19

Ipad
PS3
Iphone

SimpleSimon 20-04-2014 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007stuart (Post 35690504)
SONOS Music System = no more changing CD's when the album finishes, just fire up the app, select something else and sit back and enjoy. BTW it is multi room, party mode for all speakers or separate speakers and enjoy different tracks in each room.

Same here (2 x Play 3's) coupled with a Synology DS212j NAS for the music.

peanut 21-04-2014 08:11

Leatherman Charge TTi (Can't believe how much these have increased in prices). Prefer the locking on them than the Swiss army knives.
AeroPress coffee maker combined with the Aeroccino from the Nespresso.
Ipad (Lost without it).
Braun MR540 hand blender (used pretty much daily).
Kenwood kMix KMX54 Stand Mixer.
Bissell DeepClean Lift Off Upright Carpet Cleaner, it's gadgety in it's uses, essential when you have pets.

I agree with the Zyliss garlic press, I've had loads that have never lasted, from the garlic twist (too gimmicky) to the heavy stainless steel ones which just never worked well. Nothing beats the Zyliss with the blue cleaner attachment.

Stephen 21-04-2014 12:41

My iPad mini. I'd be lost without it.
My Ultimate ears noise cancelling earphones. Great sound and blocks out almost all noise.

Osem 25-04-2014 16:13

My CEL oscillating multitool and Bosch electronic woodcarver both of which have been in use to good effect this week.

Stuart 25-04-2014 16:54

Not really a gadget as such, but my new PC case. The old one sounded a little like a hovercraft. The new one is quieter than either the xbox 360 or PS3 it sits next do, even running games at 1920x1080, and even though it's considerably more powerful than both.

In fact, even at full speed, it's barely audible.

tizmeinnit 25-04-2014 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35692398)
Not really a gadget as such, but my new PC case. The old one sounded a little like a hovercraft. The new one is quieter than either the xbox 360 or PS3 it sits next do, even running games at 1920x1080, and even though it's considerably more powerful than both.

In fact, even at full speed, it's barely audible.

what is it?

Osem 13-06-2014 23:14

My table saw - it's come in very handy this week as I've been cutting beading for the glazing on my new porch. I've routed (roundover bit) and then ripped down a 2.4m length of 100x15mm planed timber to produce enough beads for the full height frame sidelights. Thrifty ole me... :)

rhyds 14-06-2014 07:51

Four section folding ladder
Makita Ni-Cad drill kit (both presents on moving in to my first house from my folks)
A britool 3/8" hex socket set and ratchet
A small (single gang sized) timer for my immersion heater. Press the button and you get 15/30/60/120 minutes of heat then you can turn it off

007stuart 14-06-2014 08:29

My SONOS App on my Galaxy S3, Nexus 7 and PC

Sirius 14-06-2014 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyds (Post 35706803)
Four section folding ladder
Makita Ni-Cad drill kit (both presents on moving in to my first house from my folks)
A britool 3/8" hex socket set and ratchet
A small (single gang sized) timer for my immersion heater. Press the button and you get 15/30/60/120 minutes of heat then you can turn it off

What an excellent idea :tu:

martin201002 14-06-2014 09:44

XBOX one/PS4 be lost without them offers me an escape.....

rhyds 14-06-2014 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35706806)
What an excellent idea :tu:

This is the one I have. It works very well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sirius 14-06-2014 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyds (Post 35706816)
This is the one I have. It works very well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

weenie 14-06-2014 11:17

My sat nav.

Osem 13-05-2017 16:55

Got to add my new electric tile cutter to the list - a steal at £32. Fantastic value item which saves so much time, reduces breakages to zero and allows even the tiniest slivers to be shaved off tiles. 3.5 sq m completed and not had one breakage so far . :)

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10565?table=no

raging bull 13-05-2017 17:54

Similar to mine, earned its keep cutting some quarry tiles in next to no time.

Hom3r 13-05-2017 18:29

I've too many.

My latest is a Amazon Echo Dot.

which I want to add stuff to like lights and cameras.

papa smurf 13-05-2017 18:42

the one item that has brought more pleasure into my life than i can ever explain

my bottle opener ;)

Osem 13-05-2017 19:23

Bottle opener? That reminds me - I love my butler's thief cork remover... hic... :D

adzii_nufc 13-05-2017 22:31

My Box mod e-cigs. A DNA 250 with a TFv8 tank for home use and a SMOK Marshall with a TFV8 gold edition tank for pocket use. Recommend box mods and sub ohm vaping to anyone that seriously wants to quit smoking cigarettes. I was on and off quitting and have never felt the need since moving to sub ohm just over a year ago.

peanut 13-05-2017 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35898749)
My Box mod e-cigs. A DNA 250 with a TFv8 tank for home use and a SMOK Marshall with a TFV8 gold edition tank for pocket use. Recommend box mods and sub ohm vaping to anyone that seriously wants to quit smoking cigarettes. I was on and off quitting and have never felt the need since moving to sub ohm just over a year ago.

What's 'on and off quitting' ?

adzii_nufc 14-05-2017 01:53

Stopping smoking and then starting again for no real reason at all, then to basically claim I'd quit when I was really smoking the odd ten every other month.

I stopped cold turkey and because I'm an idiot I just started again out of the blue when offered a cigarette. I then tried e-cigs 5 years ago, starting with the pen mods (batteries) and the 510 thread CE4-5 and the odd protank with standard 50/50 liquid. Problem was I was still buying the odd 10 cigs every other month, so essentially on and off quitting. Sometimes id go for ages and then buy 10 and smoke them. Silly stuff really. It took me a while to grt into box mods then sub ohm. I did it anyway and moved to 80/20 juice with it. Blew me away, couldn't imagine going back to a non sub ohm tank or a pen mod. Tried a cigarette when offered one last year just for that nostalgic feel I guess and it just did nothing me for, no hit and it absolutely stunk.

So rather than being on and off and not truly being away from cigarettes at the start. I'm completely rid of them and have absolutely no desire to purchase or even smoke the odd free one. Not sure if I'll ever kick the e-cigs though. It doesnt bother me too much. Just the gadget that put a stop to my cigarettes completely. Had little willpower and an arrogant approach to my health with no restraint when offered a cigarette either. Better to be honest.

As previous post id recommend the box mods with sub ohm variable voltage over the starter kits now of people want to really get away from smoking tobacco. I'm still smoking tolerant though, people will do what they want and it's no business of mine, it doesn't bother me. Having people smoke away in front of me reminds me I've beaten something thats been a part of my daily life since 16.

Stephen 14-05-2017 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35898749)

I have an Alien 220w and use either my TFV8 or my Troll v2 rda. All three are great but I do love my rda as the flavour is so great on it. Currently using dual Clapton at 0.26ohm at 80w.

denphone 14-05-2017 11:55

Our Smart TV and our PS4.

adzii_nufc 14-05-2017 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35898787)
I have an Alien 220w and use either my TFV8 or my Troll v2 rda. All three are great but I do love my rda as the flavour is so great on it. Currently using dual Clapton at 0.26ohm at 80w.

Where do you start with RDA tanks and dripping? That tank you've posted is a pretty fair price. Liquid recommendations are probably needed too. Get a decent tasted from 80/20 sub ohm so if there's a better flavour hit to be had then I can imagine it's pretty great.

weenie 14-05-2017 14:35

Add my coffee machine to the list do not know how we would manage without it now, only gripe the pods can work out quite expensive but totally worth it. The pods I like best is peach tea, hot chocolate and skinny macchiato.

peanut 14-05-2017 15:36

I wouldn't be without Hue lights now. In my living room I have 2 blooms lights, one behind the TV and in a corner (both coloured), 2 lamps with living white & colour bulbs, 2 ceiling white ambiance bulbs. An Ambiance bulb in the bedroom and in the hallway. All can be controlled via iPads, iphone, Android phone, wall switch, Harmony remote and PC.

They are also voice controlled with the Amazon dot. All the living room lights are labelled as 'All' as a collective, so I just ask Alexa to turn all lights on or off or turn all lights to 20% and it does it. Or I can ask Alexa to control any single light only.

The bedroom light gradually comes on before the alarm goes off and increases brightness over a set period, then will turn off automatically at a set time. They can all be controlled over the internet via phone when you're outside too.

If I ask Alexa to harmony cinema, the lights in the living room corners will change to a soft red, the light behind the TV will go to a nice blue colour. The light behind my monitor till turn off. The TV will turn onto the correct HDMI channel etc etc etc.

It can take a bit of setting up but when it's done then everything is really very straight forward and not at all complicated to use.

Taf 14-05-2017 16:07

Solar PIR LED spotlights for the garden. At last lamps that really light the place up and look like they'll survive UK weather.

[img][/img]

SnoopZ 14-05-2017 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35898822)
Solar PIR LED spotlights for the garden. At last lamps that really light the place up and look like they'll survive UK weather.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/05/22.jpg

Bet that is annoying at night when animals cross its path for the neighbours?

Taf 14-05-2017 18:53

It only lights up our patio and doesn't seem to get triggered by the cats.

heero_yuy 15-05-2017 08:19

Looks like it has a decent grade of solar cells in it with plenty of active area.

Taf 15-05-2017 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35898872)
Looks like it has a decent grade of solar cells in it with plenty of active area.

Plus 3.7v battery and decent COB LED's. I just hope it proves to be as fully waterproof as it says it is.

Stephen 15-05-2017 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35898799)
Where do you start with RDA tanks and dripping? That tank you've posted is a pretty fair price. Liquid recommendations are probably needed too. Get a decent tasted from 80/20 sub ohm so if there's a better flavour hit to be had then I can imagine it's pretty great.

70/30 or 80/20 are both best for me. RDAs can be a lot more work but I just buy pre-made coils rather than making my own. Get a good 3-4 weeks from a set of coils and just re-wick the cotton 1-2 times a week to keep the flavour up. It can be a pain dripping though as you get about 7-8 hits usually before having to drip again, but the flavour and clouds are really good.

The TFV8 does have a re-buidable deck(RBA) in the box, I've yet to try it.

adzii_nufc 15-05-2017 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35898888)
70/30 or 80/20 are both best for me. RDAs can be a lot more work but I just buy pre-made coils rather than making my own. Get a good 3-4 weeks from a set of coils and just re-wick the cotton 1-2 times a week to keep the flavour up. It can be a pain dripping though as you get about 7-8 hits usually before having to drip again, but the flavour and clouds are really good.

The TFV8 does have a re-buidable deck(RBA) in the box, I've yet to try it.

Still have the re-buildable in the two I have. Never fiddled with it. At some point I'll grab a drip tank just to try it. Obviously it has the cons you've listed but don't think it'd bother me for home use.

Got 6x30ml 80/20 today for £15. Think I'll probably go back again as they're all dirt cheap because of the new restrictions that are incoming. Seen a 220w alien mod for £30 with the baby beast tank included. So around £40 if you need the batteries too. Was so tempted to pick up just the mod for £30.

Osem 15-05-2017 17:23

My set of super-wrenches. They've been getting a hell of a lot of use lately.

http://www.whotzhot.info/54.html

progers 15-05-2017 22:57

Another vote for Tassimo coffee machine
also iPad & laptop

rogerdraig 16-05-2017 12:24

dependent on meaning it would either be
1 my small but mighty ( it takes 25 stone ) mobility scooter
or
2 my multi function tv and anything else zapper

Hugh 16-05-2017 14:09

Nespresso coffee machine, Panasonic bread maker, Bose QC35 cordless headphones, and iPad Pro.

peanut 16-05-2017 15:06

Given up my Nespresso because the pods are just too expensive, and the lack of real choice as only 1 flavour was strong enough for what I wanted. So invested in an ESAM4200 (Magnifica) from DeLonghi (£210) - Bean to cup. Makes a far better cup of coffee and cheaper too. And more choice of coffee style as well.

It's not one of those newer looking ones with screen menus etc, it's rather clunky and loud maker but for price it is one of the best ones for making actual decent coffee the way you want it, rather than using preset options which is what I didn't want.

The coffee from Nespresso wasn't too bad apart than the cups were too small, I was getting bored with just the same cup every day. I really regret spending the amount I have on the pods over 3-4 years. I now feel ripped off compared to buying beans. (1kg beans for £11 for Lavazza an estimated saving of around 3:1 compared to pods).

ThunderPants73 17-05-2017 10:44

My e-readers, my noise cancelling headphones and my white noise machines.

SnoopZ 17-05-2017 20:44

Enjoying my Seguro S3 Android TV box running Kodi, so small and looks like a quality piece of kit compared to other devices.

Taf 18-05-2017 13:09

60cm of bright white LED strip that I have just fitted so that I can see my keyboard with my aging eyes.

adzii_nufc 18-05-2017 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35899362)
60cm of bright white LED strip that I have just fitted so that I can see my keyboard with my aging eyes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razer-Black...BKeyboard&th=1

I have one of those and mouse equivalent.

There's cheaper options for non gaming, non extensive use needs from different manufactures and doesn't need to be mechanical keyboards at all. If you haven't tried them ofc. The LED strip is probably cheaper though.

peanut 18-05-2017 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35899362)

I had the same problem. I've had illuminated keyboards in the past but they never were good enough or lasted. I took a gamble with Logitechs K800 keyboard. The letters are etched for the light comes through really clearly. And it only illuminates when it's in use or when your hands are near the keyboard. It can also be left plugged in so the lights can be left on all the time if needed at levels you want.

The mechanical keyboard in the last post looks neat, but I prefer low profile keys to type with over than gaming.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Wi...=k800+keyboard

Taf 18-05-2017 16:27

I tried an illuminated keyboard but didn't get on with it. £3 for the LED's did the trick.

Osem 18-05-2017 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35899389)
I tried an illuminated keyboard but didn't get on with it. £3 for the LED's did the trick.

I need this - how did you do it? I"m usin g a laftop and finbing it harf ti sea thn keyn ib loe lighr... :D

Taf 19-05-2017 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35899439)
I need this - how did you do it? I"m usin g a laftop and finbing it harf ti sea thn keyn ib loe lighr... :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-LED-USB...UAAOSwlndZGc7T

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1918823734...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Powered from the PC USB.

Hom3r 19-05-2017 18:10

Currently it's the two Echo Dots and Philips Hue.

Osem 19-05-2017 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35899503)

Oh right I see, a strip of LEDs which you've presumably stuck somewhere nearby in order to illuminated your keyboard. I fitted 5m strips of colour changing LED's in Osem Jnr's room to illuminate his new desk and provide some nice colour effects when he's relaxing. They look great. What I want is something simply to illuminate my laptop keyboard so I'd prefer a clip on solution which can be easily removed when necessary. I have a booklight which fits nicely on the side of the screen but isn't bright enough.

Osem 31-07-2017 22:44

Does one of these count as a gadget?

https://www.towerhousewares.co.uk/co...re-cooker-p949

It's brilliant either way.

Made a terrific chicken, leek and noodle soup in about 30 mins earlier. Yummy.

Stuart 01-08-2017 15:42

My Desktop PC keyboard. I was looking for a good mechanical keyboard (I find good mechanical keyboards easier to type on) a while back, and Amazon had one of their "lightning deals" on a keyboard that would normally be out of my price range (it was over £180 retail). I got it for about £60. It had RGB lighting as well. The lighting, when set to white, makes a good back light for typing, and when set to one of the pre-defined RGB patterns, is strangely hypnotising. Especially for the kids.

Osem 17-08-2017 09:13

Another food related gadget which I tried for the first time last night - a pie maker. As the wife's away and I have free culinary reign I decided to make Osem Jnr # 2 and I a nice pice. Made a filling of chestnut mushrooms, diced chicken breast, spring onions, chopped frankfurter sauages (to give a slightly smokey flavour), sweetcorn, parsley, salt and pepper with some milk and cornflour to thicken the sauce. The pie maker is a breeze to use - I rolled out some puff pastry, cut out 2 discs for the top and bottom of the pie, put the bottom one in, filled it up, put the top on and then closed the pie maker and turned in on. About 25 mins later we had a terrific pie with crispy brown pastry top and bottom and a filling which proved delicious. I'm already thinking of alternative savoury and sweet fillings but basically you can use anything as long as the filling isn't too wet.

I got mine for £18 with free P&P - money very well spent I reckon.