Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Being charged for using 1471 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33667883)

djmagnifique 30-07-2010 20:45

Being charged for using 1471

I'm on the vip package so all calls to landlines and virgin mobiles are included in the package, however, recently I have been getting charges 11p+vat for a few calls made to landlines and mobiles.

I emailed customer service about a couple of times and have been told they will look into it. anyway today I was contacted by someone at virgin regarding this saying that it had been refered to the IT department and then later the same day the same guy called me back saying that I was being charged because we use 1471 then press 3 to dial the number and that the charges i'm getting are connection charges for doing this.

Anyone else heard of this?

dilli-theclaw 30-07-2010 20:47

Re: Being charged for using 1471

Yup.

I write the phone number down and call direct to avoid the charge.

Peter_ 30-07-2010 20:51

The charges are explained HERE

Quote:

Last Number Recall (1471) lets you know the last number that called you and allows you return the call. A charge sometimes applies for returning the call.1

1Where a charge applies for using 1471 the cost is 12 pence, plus the standard call connection and pence per minute rates. You will hear an announcement when you dial 1471 if this charge applies.

djmagnifique 30-07-2010 21:21

ok, has this changed recently? just dialed 1471 and it advised of a possible charge for returning a call. in the past (even in the last month) it has just said 'dial 3 to return the call'. Shouldn't we have be notifed of the change?

The starnge thing is though that this month my wife has done 14713 to call me 5 time but only 2 of the times have been charged for. once at the start of the month and once a few days ago.

Rainman 30-07-2010 21:23

So can some one say ,how do we know if we have to pay or not.
My mobile is becoming cheaper than ever to use now, you can see who's phoning ( no charge ) and ring back ( no charge for this service ) and only 8 pence a minute to any network or land line with no connection charge that's PAYG. I'm seriously thinking of giving up the Virgin land line

jb66 30-07-2010 23:50

. Yup landline is getTing poorer, get rid of it and the broadband price goes up so no point

Digital Fanatic 31-07-2010 02:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmagnifique (Post 35065030)
ok, has this changed recently? just dialed 1471 and it advised of a possible charge for returning a call. in the past (even in the last month) it has just said 'dial 3 to return the call'. Shouldn't we have be notifed of the change?

The starnge thing is though that this month my wife has done 14713 to call me 5 time but only 2 of the times have been charged for. once at the start of the month and once a few days ago.

It has been chargeable for about a year I think. Check the website for pricing.

Dailing 1471 is still free though, it's just if you press 3 to call the number.

Peter_ 31-07-2010 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35065182)
It has been chargeable for about a year I think. Check the website for pricing.

I have already done that above.;)

FairyFairy 31-07-2010 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainman (Post 35065032)
So can some one say ,how do we know if we have to pay or not.
My mobile is becoming cheaper than ever to use now, you can see who's phoning ( no charge ) and ring back ( no charge for this service ) and only 8 pence a minute to any network or land line with no connection charge that's PAYG. I'm seriously thinking of giving up the Virgin land line

I've been doing that ever since I joined Virgin. Use the phone for the numbers included at the weekend - then the mobile at other times (Asda who were the first to have flat 8p per minute calls at the time). I still get the benefit of reductions from having phone / broadband / cable tv etc but not the phone call charges!