Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : TiVo performance. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685723)

andy_m 23-02-2012 08:42

Re: TiVo performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereohaven (Post 35386244)
Isn't it funny how everyone that doesn't have it says that? :D

I loved Game of Thrones and got to watch all of the Battlestar Galactica series that I missed first time round so I liked it. I haven't missed it while I have been with VM but then I consider myself a "balanced" individual who doesn't tend to get over excited about things like a TV channel when there is more important things in life to worry about. ;)

So it's over hyped then.

Itshim 23-02-2012 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35386690)
So it's over hyped then.

What isn't:erm:

andy_m 23-02-2012 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35386378)
The last one that caught my eye was Sony. and since its come on I never have seen anything I want to watch. Case of the other mans grass I guess:D

All of these channels seem to have just one or two worthwhile shows each-I'm watching Tudors on Sony as I didn't see it first time round, but there little else. Likewise with Atlantic I would watch Curb, but genuinely don't think there'd be much else for me and with most shows the dvd box sets are available second hand on ebay for next to nothing with the added bonus of being able to sell them for your money back once you're done.

What price one mega channel with all the crap weeded out?

stereohaven 23-02-2012 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35386690)
So it's over hyped then.

Usually only by people that don't have it or have never watched it.

Also, isn't it funny how when Sky market an exclusive channel included with their basic service it's "over hyped", yet when VM do the same by playing on the fact they include ESPN for free, it isn't?

As I said, I try and keep a balanced and objective view as it's just one channel, whichever side of the fence you sit on, it's a shame others can't.

Itshim 23-02-2012 11:02

The world is full of Hype . Its called selling.
When I look at Atlantic I do not see anything I miss. However that does not mean if it was part of a package, I might find something I like.
As I haven`t got it & it is very questionable that as long as I choose Virgin I ever will. I choose not to look too hard.
I find most of the time I can find something I enjoy to watch, hence why would I want more.
ESPN is again more hype. All it has done is split the channels required by a lot of sports fans. Giving those on Virgin, who choose not to pay SKY some games.
As neither SKY or ESPN carry my games of choice they have no bearing on my life if I am not at them then for the most part BBC2 wales have them

Stephen 23-02-2012 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereohaven (Post 35386767)

Also, isn't it funny how when Sky market an exclusive channel included with their basic service it's "over hyped", yet when VM do the same by playing on the fact they include ESPN for free, it isn't?

As I said, I try and keep a balanced and objective view as it's just one channel, whichever side of the fence you sit on, it's a shame others can't.

I have never watched Atlantic but am not bothered about it.

Same goes for Sky One, when VM lost it I was a bit gutted. However I soon realised there wasn't actually anything on it I would miss. Then since it came back there is only a couple of occasions I have watched it.

Both Sky channels and both totally overhyped!

Itshim 23-02-2012 11:40

I like Stella & my beloved Futurarama but other than that never watch SKY 1 or 2 or pick for that matter

denphone 23-02-2012 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35386825)
I have never watched Atlantic but am not bothered about it.

Same goes for Sky One, when VM lost it I was a bit gutted. However I soon realised there wasn't actually anything on it I would miss. Then since it came back there is only a couple of occasions I have watched it.

Both Sky channels and both totally overhyped!

But are not most channels we get now overhyped Stephen.

Itshim 23-02-2012 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35386831)
But are not most channels we get now overhyped Stephen.

:Yes:

SkyFTW 23-02-2012 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35386829)
I like Stella & my beloved Futurarama but other than that never watch SKY 1 or 2 or pick for that matter

Surely most people only watch 1 or 2 shows on each channel. I only watch Jonathon Ross on ITV, I only watch 2 shows on C4, I only watch 3 Shows on Sky Atlantic. Then the ocassional Movie on the movie channels.

There is only so many hours of spare time for TV viewing available to most people per week anyway. So when someone says acertain channel is over hyped as they would only watch 1 or 2 shows on it, well surely 1 or 2 shows is quite good for the channel in this time of massive content overload.

For peoples "sofa" time these days you have games consoles, internet, TV, DVD/Blueray movies,.

andy_m 23-02-2012 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereohaven (Post 35386767)

Some of us are saying it's over-hyped, meaning it's not quite the be all and end all it's made out to be by some. You, by your own admission, haven't missed it whilst you've been with Virgin, meaning you agree that it's not quite the be all and end all it's made out to be by some. Aren't we on the same page here?

stereohaven 23-02-2012 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35386856)
...Aren't we on the same page here?

Yes and no. :)

I agree that it is just another channel that some people may or may not watch, miss or not miss, my point was I don't understand why some people keep complaining about "over hype" if they don't watch it, can't watch it or have never watched it!

Surely you have to have seen or experienced something to judge objectively whether someone who raves about it is (in your opinion) right or over hyping it?

I see people raving about the TiVo as some kind of technological messiah but whilst I think it has potential, for me it is a long way from being perfect or the best solution to our needs.

Having experienced both SKy and VM's STB's (in fact having them both plugged in right now to the same TV), I can make a direct comparison and form my own opinion, which is that the TiVo service cannot currently live up to the hype, but do I waste my energy bleating about it every 5 minutes?

No, I just change service provider!

oliver1948uk 23-02-2012 12:34

When is dynamic programme guide coming to Tivo?

Until that happens (which it may never do) I do not see how Tivo can be regarded as 'the future of TV'.

It seems unbelievable to me that many other boxes have this but Tivo does not, leading to endless discussion on padding around programmes, which is no good anyway if a programme is seriously delayed or overruns or moved to another time.

denphone 23-02-2012 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 35386871)
When is dynamic programme guide coming to Tivo?

Until that happens (which it may never do) I do not see how Tivo can be regarded as 'the future of TV'.

It seems unbelievable to me that many other boxes have this but Tivo does not, leading to endless discussion on padding around programmes, which is no good anyway if a programme is seriously delayed or overruns or moved to another time.

This is a link from someone on DS Oliver.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...72&postcount=1

We're currently working with TiVo to look at more frequent updates to the guide data, however at present I can't commit to when that would be deployed to our customers.

Our long-term goal is to add dynamic updates to the TiVo EPG but we are some way off that.

Hope that answers your question.

regards
Stephen

oliver1948uk 23-02-2012 13:10

Thank you, Den, that is really good news.

'Coming soon' is better than 'Not coming at all'!

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

Problem is it is not 'Coming soon' but 'Coming but not soon'.

We are all know how long 'Coming soon' is in VM speak, so I think great patience will be needed here.