Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : TiVo performance. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685723)

SkyFTW 19-02-2012 14:35

TiVo performance.

Could a TiVo user post a video of a TiVo being used in the real world? Someone just do video of scrolling through menus going into various ondemand sections ect? Accessing apps..

Doz007 19-02-2012 15:07

Re: TiVo performance.

http://youtu.be/D48z5ep71zQ?hd=1

Here's one I made earlier. It gives a good indication of the TiVo speed when running the new 15.2 software. :)

kop32 19-02-2012 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35384519)

Here's one I made earlier. It gives a good indication of the TiVo speed when running the new 15.2 software. :)

Sorry Fella but if that is an improved software version then am I glad I sent mine back after a week!!,it appears painfully slow IMO.

denphone 19-02-2012 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by kop32 (Post 35384524)
Sorry Fella but if that is an improved software version then am I glad I sent mine back after a week!!,it appears painfully slow IMO.

But you are judging it on just your own experience and that in no way represents what the TiVo is like.:rolleyes:

kop32 19-02-2012 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35384526)
But you are judging it on just your own experience and that in no way represents what the TiVo is like.:rolleyes:

Err,read my post Den I am judging it by the youtube video in the previous post,I also feel qualified to base my judgement on my own experience of TiVo am I not?:confused:

andy_m 19-02-2012 15:20

In fairness, that video is representative of Tivo's speed. Most of us were used to something much slower by the time 15.2 came along, of course, so it still feels quick.

denphone 19-02-2012 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by kop32 (Post 35384529)
Err,read my post Den I am judging it by the youtube video in the previous post,I also feel qualified to base my judgement on my own experience of TiVo am I not?:confused:

One weeks experience in my mind is not enough time to judge anything but we all have our differing opinions on things and there is nothing wrong with that.:)

SkyFTW 19-02-2012 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35384537)
One weeks experience in my mind is not enough time to judge anything but we all have our differing opinions on things and there is nothing wrong with that.:)

Well "DEN" you have clearly stated before that you have never used a Sky hd box but you constantly tell us how the TiVo is much better.

An thats with zero experience.

kop32 19-02-2012 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35384537)

Den,without getting into the Sky/TiVo debate,all PVR's should be at their quickest when first used (empty(ish) HDD etc),so if I wasn't happy after a week I would hardly be any happier in the next few months.

Doz007 19-02-2012 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by kop32 (Post 35384524)

Don't be sorry mate, I agree. I've just had Sky installed this morning and my new 1TB box feels blazing fast in comparison. TiVo is certainly an improvement over the V+ box though in terms of speed & responsiveness. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35384530)
In fairness, that video is representative of Tivo's speed. Most of us were used to something much slower by the time 15.2 came along, of course, so it still feels quick.

Couldn't have put it better myself mate that is TiVo in everyday conditions. Don't get me wrong TiVo is a great bit of kit and I didn't leave it behind without serious consideration. The speed wasn't particularly an issue for me because as you say it feels quick compared to V+.

kop32 19-02-2012 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35384540)
Well "DEN" you have clearly stated before that you have never used a Sky hd box but you constantly tell us how the TiVo is much better.

"Ouch"............:D

denphone 19-02-2012 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35384540)

Mmmmm excuse me but my parents have a Sky HD box and l often use it when l am down there so l have got some experience and my view as good as the Sky Box is it does not have the functional capabilitys of a what a TiVo box can functionaly do in the future so it is limited to some extent by this and that is why the TiVo in the next few years will have a clear advantage in my mind.

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by kop32 (Post 35384543)
"Ouch"............:D

Is something hurting you my dear chap.:D

Digital Fanatic 19-02-2012 15:35

To be fair the Sky+HD box has a lot less to do/process as there is not much to them. Nice box's, but low on features... My sister has a Sky+HD 1TB box.

The TiVo box is graphics/picture content rich. :)

andy_m 19-02-2012 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by kop32 (Post 35384541)
Den,without getting into the Sky/TiVo debate,all PVR's should be at their quickest when first used (empty(ish) HDD etc),so if I wasn't happy after a week I would hardly be any happier in the next few months.

The only caveat to that being that for reasons I still don't think we're sure of (ie second core or just improved code) the Virgin Tivo has since it was first launched, and is also known to need a week or so to "settle down" with some users reporting a noticeable improvement after this time, myself amongst them.

kop32 19-02-2012 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35384546)
Mmmmm excuse me but my parents have a Sky HD box and l often use it when l am down there so l have got some experience and my view as good as the Sky Box is it does not have the functional capabilitys of a what a TiVo box can functionaly do in the future so it is limited to some extent by this and that is why the TiVo in the next few years will have a clear advantage in my mind.

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

Is something hurting you my dear chap.:D

My sides laughing.......:D:D

Doz007 19-02-2012 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35384548)
To be fair the Sky+HD box has a lot less to do/process as there is not much to them. Nice box's, but low on features... My sister has a Sky+HD 1TB box.

The TiVo box is graphics/picture content rich. :)

Whilst this is true, there's still no excuse for it not being as quick as the Sky+HD box. Despite being content and graphic heavy, my iPhone 4S is just as quick to dial a number as my £10 pay as you go black and white screen back up phone. :D

This is because Apple have taken into account what needs to be done content heavy or not and put enough power in there to allow it to perform as you'd expect.

My 1TB TiVo box however doesn't change channels as fast as my 1TB Sky box.......

Digital Fanatic 19-02-2012 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35384560)
Whilst this is true, there's still no excuse for it not being as quick as the Sky+HD box. Despite being content and graphic heavy, my iPhone 4S is just as quick to dial a number as my £10 pay as you go black and white screen back up phone. :D

This is because Apple have taken into account what needs to be done content heavy or not and put enough power in there to allow it to perform as you'd expect.

My 1TB TiVo box however doesn't change channels as fast as my 1TB Sky box.......

I've used both and the difference is minor IMHO :)

Oh no this is going to turn in to a VM TiVo vs Sky+HD debate :D

andy_m 19-02-2012 15:59

Isn't part of that the delivery system? Won't it always be slightly slower to change the channel on cable? When I type in a channel number the box itself responds immediately by displaying the info bar for the new channel-it's just the picture that takes time to catch up, something I've always assumed was to do with what was happening between the box and the network rather than in the box itself?

Digital Fanatic 19-02-2012 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35384572)
Isn't part of that the delivery system? Won't it always be slightly slower to change the channel on cable? When I type in a channel number the box itself responds immediately by displaying the info bar for the new channel-it's just the picture that takes time to catch up, something I've always assumed was to do with what was happening between the box and the network rather than in the box itself?

I think it's a bit of both. With a satellite system it's just content down, where cable has a two way connection.

andy_m 19-02-2012 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35384575)
I think it's a bit of both. With a satellite system it's just content down, where cable has a two way connection.

So basically, with Sky you're already receiving the channel you're changing to, whilst with cable changing the channel involves the box sending an instruction for this to be done elsewhere?

Doz007 19-02-2012 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35384572)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35384575)

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35384576)
So basically, with Sky you're already receiving the channel you're changing to, whilst with cable changing the channel involves the box sending an instruction for this to be done elsewhere?

Very interesting & something that I've not heard before. It doesn't explain the speed difference when browsing the TV Guide though.

Now that TiVo are starting to get there patents enforced and money from them rolling in I'd like to see them invest that improving the UI and optimising the menu systems.

SkyFTW 19-02-2012 16:18

Quote:

EH??

Do you think only 1 tv channel is being sent down your cable at a time? Then when you turn over the headend some how "switches channels" for you?

They're all there just on different frequencys, when you change channel the box just retunes to that channel.

Digital Fanatic 19-02-2012 16:22

Quote:

No, not like that.

---------- Post added at 16:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35384582)
Very interesting & something that I've not heard before. It doesn't explain the speed difference when browsing the TV Guide though.

Now that TiVo are starting to get there patents enforced and money from them rolling in I'd like to see them invest that improving the UI and optimising the menu systems.

TV Guide is just text really so no real processing required, that's why it so fast to page through

andy_m 19-02-2012 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35384586)
EH??

Do you think only 1 tv channel is being sent down your cable at a time? Then when you turn over the headend some how "switches channels" for you?

They're all there just on different frequencys, when you change channel the box just retunes to that channel.

I don't know how it works, hence the question mark!

HDFootyMan 19-02-2012 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35384586)
EH??

That's right.

I think what andy_m is describing sounds like switched video, which is used a lot by cable companies in the States, but not so much in Europe. Check out this diagram:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...rk_Diagram.png

The non-switched part is what's happening on VM's network, or at least, the 'last mile' from the cabinet to your home.

zantarous 19-02-2012 18:01

How is that Youtube video showing a slow Tivo? That is a perfectly acceptable speed and far faster then what it used to be. Tivo is very responsive and works brilliantly.

The difference between Sky is that it is a one way communication device only sending data down, with cable its a proper network where data is going back and forth. Its going to have some overhead which will cause it to be slower but the advantages far outweigh the negatives.

Comparing Sky which has a really basic interface against Tivo and then saying one faster then the other is silly, its the end GUI that is most important and the Tivo wins hands down.

richard1960 19-02-2012 18:10

Must say i have had my TiVo now for about a month and i find the speed very good,hardly any slower then a mates Sky+ HD box.:confused:

Digital Fanatic 19-02-2012 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by zantarous (Post 35384647)
How is that Youtube video showing a slow Tivo? That is a perfectly acceptable speed and far faster then what it used to be. Tivo is very responsive and works brilliantly.

The difference between Sky is that it is a one way communication device only sending data down, with cable its a proper network where data is going back and forth. Its going to have some overhead which will cause it to be slower but the advantages far outweigh the negatives.

Comparing Sky which has a really basic interface against Tivo and then saying one faster then the other is silly, its the end GUI that is most important and the Tivo wins hands down.

Totally agree :tu:

stereohaven 19-02-2012 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by zantarous (Post 35384647)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35384660)
Totally agree :tu:

I disagree.

Which GUI is best depends entirely on the user, so neither can ever be judged an overall winner or better/best by an individual as they will judge it on their needs. It's horses for courses.

For example, I like most of the TiVo GUI and it's additional features, although find having to press play/OK on four separate occasions when I have selected some On Demand content very irritating!

The Wife on the other hand hates the TiVo GUI full stop and much prefers the Sky GUI as it is quick, clean and (most importantly), simple.

muppetman11 20-02-2012 19:54

Won't the whole UI speed become irrelevant in the future with more people completing tasks like setting recordings , search and browse , viewing your planner , controlling the STB through remote apps like TIVO buddy app and Sky+ with zeebox granted short term it will be the minority controlling their box in this manner but longer term with an explosion in tablets/smartphones this will increase.

Doz007 20-02-2012 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35385259)
Won't the whole UI speed become irrelevant in the future with more people completing tasks like setting recordings , search and browse , viewing your planner , controlling the STB through remote apps like TIVO buddy app and Sky+ with zeebox granted short term it will be the minority controlling their box in this manner but longer term with an explosion in tablets/smartphones this will increase.

That is a very good point. The TiVo box was like a whole new animal when being controlled from the iPad. Suddenly everything became super quick and navigating the menus became a pleasure rather than a chore.

TiVo & iPad owners will be in for a treat if VM ever manage to get that app launched! :)

LexDiamond 21-02-2012 20:11

What people have to understand is that using a Tivo is like making love to a beautiful woman. You have to take your time :D

denphone 21-02-2012 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35385906)
What people have to understand is that using a Tivo is like making love to a beautiful woman. You have to take your time :D

Says he a man of worldly experience.:)

LexDiamond 21-02-2012 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35385911)
Says he a man of worldly experience.:)

People with Tivo know what I'm talking about ;)

denphone 21-02-2012 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35385921)

Yes l have experienced the thrill of the Tivo.:D

Digital Fanatic 22-02-2012 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35385921)

Yes! ;)

I wouldn't give up my TiVo :cool:

Dave42 22-02-2012 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35386200)
Yes! ;)

I wouldn't give up my TiVo :cool:

would never give up my tivo either DF best box by miles :)

stereohaven 22-02-2012 13:09

In the interests of balance...

I can't wait to get rid of mine, biggest pile of over hyped pony I've ever had the misfortune of using... :D

Digital Fanatic 22-02-2012 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereohaven (Post 35386203)

I can't wait to get rid of mine, biggest pile of over hyped pony I've ever had the misfortune of using... :D

Why didn't you like it?

denphone 22-02-2012 13:14

Quote:

Over hyped pony now theres a new one.:)

stereohaven 22-02-2012 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35386212)
Why didn't you like it?

I do like it really, as I have said elsewhere, it has potential.

However the Wife hates it (too confusing) and there are a number of improvements they need to make for it to really rock my world such as a dynamic EPG and making VOD slicker and easier to actually watch as there are far too many button presses before you actually get the content.

I am leaving VM as soon as practical though as the package as a whole has been a let down and performance inconsistent. The potential of TiVo is not enough to keep me as a customer I'm afraid.

Dave42 22-02-2012 13:30

Quote:

thats Sky Atlantic that most over hyped pony ever

Digital Fanatic 22-02-2012 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereohaven (Post 35386230)
I do like it really, as I have said elsewhere, it has potential.

However the Wife hates it (too confusing) and there are a number of improvements they need to make for it to really rock my world such as a dynamic EPG and making VOD slicker and easier to actually watch as there are far too many button presses before you actually get the content.

I am leaving VM as soon as practical though as the package as a whole has been a let down and performance inconsistent. The potential of TiVo is not enough to keep me as a customer I'm afraid.

Good luck, hope it works out for you mate.

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35386235)

Agreed :tu:

stereohaven 22-02-2012 13:36

Quote:

Isn't it funny how everyone that doesn't have it says that? :D

I loved Game of Thrones and got to watch all of the Battlestar Galactica series that I missed first time round so I liked it. I haven't missed it while I have been with VM but then I consider myself a "balanced" individual who doesn't tend to get over excited about things like a TV channel when there is more important things in life to worry about. ;)

denphone 22-02-2012 13:37

Quote:

Well for once l have to disagree with you and DF.

Digital Fanatic 22-02-2012 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35386247)

What!!!! :mad:

Only joking mate ;) :D

richard1960 22-02-2012 13:40

I just buy the series i like on DVD curb your enthusiasm for one ! nurse jackie which sky atlantic took from BBC 2 i find other ways of watching.;)

kop32 22-02-2012 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35386247)

:omg::omg:

denphone 22-02-2012 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35386249)
What!!!! :mad:

Only joking mate ;) :D

Lets hope its coming soon.:)

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by kop32 (Post 35386253)
:omg::omg:

Yes l have just said the lords prayer.:)

Itshim 22-02-2012 13:52

If I cant see it, I do not look what it offers. Only recall watching HBO once. So I guess I would not be looking that often if it was available. However building up "stock" see the first weeks of the Olympics out. Off to Florida the last week, wish I had thought about it earlier.

Dave42 22-02-2012 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereohaven (Post 35386244)

I loved Game of Thrones and got to watch all of the Battlestar Galactica series that I missed first time round so I liked it. I haven't missed it while I have been with VM but then I consider myself a "balanced" individual who doesn't tend to get over excited about things like a TV channel when there is more important things in life to worry about. ;)

have you seen the viewing figures for it shocking if wasnt a over hyped pony then be a least double or treble viewing figures seen broadwalk empire what utter crap that was so overhype it unbelievable

SkyFTW 22-02-2012 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35386252)
I just buy the series i like on DVD curb your enthusiasm for one ! nurse jackie which sky atlantic took from BBC 2 i find other ways of watching.;)

So you download illegally?

Well I'm happy to know you're a criminal who is more than prepared to break law.I shall keep this in mind when reading the things you type,

Digital Fanatic 22-02-2012 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35386273)

Well I'm happy to know you're a criminal who is more than prepared to break law.I shall keep this in mind when reading the things you type,

He hasn't said that.

LexDiamond 22-02-2012 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35386264)
If I cant see it, I do not look what it offers. Only recall watching HBO once. So I guess I would not be looking that often if it was available. However building up "stock" see the first weeks of the Olympics out. Off to Florida the last week, wish I had thought about it earlier.

Really? You're the guy that says in multiple threads that VM need to offer more channels and you don't actually care about the one quality channel that they could offer?

Just seems rather strange.

richard1960 22-02-2012 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35386273)

Download illegally did i say that, all i said was i see nurse jackie by other means which could mean i watch it at a friends house.;)

Is that now a criminal offence.:p:

denphone 22-02-2012 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35386321)
Download illegally did i say that, all i said was i see nurse jackie by other means which could mean i watch it at a friends house.;)

Not in my mind.

Itshim 22-02-2012 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35386318)
Really? You're the guy that says in multiple threads that VM need to offer more channels and you don't actually care about the one quality channel that they could offer?

Just seems rather strange.

Where have I said that? I have as I recall said that I would be happy to lose a lot of the channels on offer as I watch perhaps 15 at most. But no its not a channel that rocks my boat from the little I have not avoided to read about it.

The last one that caught my eye was Sony. and since its come on I never have seen anything I want to watch. Case of the other mans grass I guess:D

devilincarnate 22-02-2012 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard1960 (Post 35386321)

Depends on how your friend is getting it?:erm:

Also on the title of this thread the Tivo keeps me going all night and is not coming soon:D:D:D:D

LexDiamond 23-02-2012 07:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35386378)
Where have I said that? I have as I recall said that I would be happy to lose a lot of the channels on offer as I watch perhaps 15 at most. But no its not a channel that rocks my boat from the little I have not avoided to read about it.

The last one that caught my eye was Sony. and since its come on I never have seen anything I want to watch. Case of the other mans grass I guess:D

Apologies, got it completely wrong.

Itshim 23-02-2012 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexDiamond (Post 35386663)
Apologies, got it completely wrong.

Accepted.:)

andy_m 23-02-2012 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereohaven (Post 35386244)

So it's over hyped then.

Itshim 23-02-2012 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35386690)
So it's over hyped then.

What isn't:erm:

andy_m 23-02-2012 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35386378)

All of these channels seem to have just one or two worthwhile shows each-I'm watching Tudors on Sony as I didn't see it first time round, but there little else. Likewise with Atlantic I would watch Curb, but genuinely don't think there'd be much else for me and with most shows the dvd box sets are available second hand on ebay for next to nothing with the added bonus of being able to sell them for your money back once you're done.

What price one mega channel with all the crap weeded out?

stereohaven 23-02-2012 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35386690)
So it's over hyped then.

Usually only by people that don't have it or have never watched it.

Also, isn't it funny how when Sky market an exclusive channel included with their basic service it's "over hyped", yet when VM do the same by playing on the fact they include ESPN for free, it isn't?

As I said, I try and keep a balanced and objective view as it's just one channel, whichever side of the fence you sit on, it's a shame others can't.

Itshim 23-02-2012 11:02

The world is full of Hype . Its called selling.
When I look at Atlantic I do not see anything I miss. However that does not mean if it was part of a package, I might find something I like.
As I haven`t got it & it is very questionable that as long as I choose Virgin I ever will. I choose not to look too hard.
I find most of the time I can find something I enjoy to watch, hence why would I want more.
ESPN is again more hype. All it has done is split the channels required by a lot of sports fans. Giving those on Virgin, who choose not to pay SKY some games.
As neither SKY or ESPN carry my games of choice they have no bearing on my life if I am not at them then for the most part BBC2 wales have them

Stephen 23-02-2012 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereohaven (Post 35386767)

Also, isn't it funny how when Sky market an exclusive channel included with their basic service it's "over hyped", yet when VM do the same by playing on the fact they include ESPN for free, it isn't?

As I said, I try and keep a balanced and objective view as it's just one channel, whichever side of the fence you sit on, it's a shame others can't.

I have never watched Atlantic but am not bothered about it.

Same goes for Sky One, when VM lost it I was a bit gutted. However I soon realised there wasn't actually anything on it I would miss. Then since it came back there is only a couple of occasions I have watched it.

Both Sky channels and both totally overhyped!

Itshim 23-02-2012 11:40

I like Stella & my beloved Futurarama but other than that never watch SKY 1 or 2 or pick for that matter

denphone 23-02-2012 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35386825)
I have never watched Atlantic but am not bothered about it.

Same goes for Sky One, when VM lost it I was a bit gutted. However I soon realised there wasn't actually anything on it I would miss. Then since it came back there is only a couple of occasions I have watched it.

Both Sky channels and both totally overhyped!

But are not most channels we get now overhyped Stephen.

Itshim 23-02-2012 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35386831)
But are not most channels we get now overhyped Stephen.

:Yes:

SkyFTW 23-02-2012 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35386829)
I like Stella & my beloved Futurarama but other than that never watch SKY 1 or 2 or pick for that matter

Surely most people only watch 1 or 2 shows on each channel. I only watch Jonathon Ross on ITV, I only watch 2 shows on C4, I only watch 3 Shows on Sky Atlantic. Then the ocassional Movie on the movie channels.

There is only so many hours of spare time for TV viewing available to most people per week anyway. So when someone says acertain channel is over hyped as they would only watch 1 or 2 shows on it, well surely 1 or 2 shows is quite good for the channel in this time of massive content overload.

For peoples "sofa" time these days you have games consoles, internet, TV, DVD/Blueray movies,.

andy_m 23-02-2012 12:10

Quote:

Some of us are saying it's over-hyped, meaning it's not quite the be all and end all it's made out to be by some. You, by your own admission, haven't missed it whilst you've been with Virgin, meaning you agree that it's not quite the be all and end all it's made out to be by some. Aren't we on the same page here?

stereohaven 23-02-2012 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35386856)
...Aren't we on the same page here?

Yes and no. :)

I agree that it is just another channel that some people may or may not watch, miss or not miss, my point was I don't understand why some people keep complaining about "over hype" if they don't watch it, can't watch it or have never watched it!

Surely you have to have seen or experienced something to judge objectively whether someone who raves about it is (in your opinion) right or over hyping it?

I see people raving about the TiVo as some kind of technological messiah but whilst I think it has potential, for me it is a long way from being perfect or the best solution to our needs.

Having experienced both SKy and VM's STB's (in fact having them both plugged in right now to the same TV), I can make a direct comparison and form my own opinion, which is that the TiVo service cannot currently live up to the hype, but do I waste my energy bleating about it every 5 minutes?

No, I just change service provider!

oliver1948uk 23-02-2012 12:34

When is dynamic programme guide coming to Tivo?

Until that happens (which it may never do) I do not see how Tivo can be regarded as 'the future of TV'.

It seems unbelievable to me that many other boxes have this but Tivo does not, leading to endless discussion on padding around programmes, which is no good anyway if a programme is seriously delayed or overruns or moved to another time.

denphone 23-02-2012 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 35386871)
When is dynamic programme guide coming to Tivo?

Until that happens (which it may never do) I do not see how Tivo can be regarded as 'the future of TV'.

It seems unbelievable to me that many other boxes have this but Tivo does not, leading to endless discussion on padding around programmes, which is no good anyway if a programme is seriously delayed or overruns or moved to another time.

This is a link from someone on DS Oliver.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...72&postcount=1

We're currently working with TiVo to look at more frequent updates to the guide data, however at present I can't commit to when that would be deployed to our customers.

Our long-term goal is to add dynamic updates to the TiVo EPG but we are some way off that.

Hope that answers your question.

regards
Stephen

oliver1948uk 23-02-2012 13:10

Thank you, Den, that is really good news.

'Coming soon' is better than 'Not coming at all'!

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

Problem is it is not 'Coming soon' but 'Coming but not soon'.

We are all know how long 'Coming soon' is in VM speak, so I think great patience will be needed here.

Digital Fanatic 23-02-2012 13:32

Quote:

You seem pro-Sky, so not really "balanced". Nobody can claim to be fully "balanced" as you'd just be a fence-sitter ;) :p:

andy_m 23-02-2012 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereohaven (Post 35386863)
Yes and no. :)

I agree that it is just another channel that some people may or may not watch, miss or not miss, my point was I don't understand why some people keep complaining about "over hype" if they don't watch it, can't watch it or have never watched it!

Surely you have to have seen or experienced something to judge objectively whether someone who raves about it is (in your opinion) right or over hyping it?

I see people raving about the TiVo as some kind of technological messiah but whilst I think it has potential, for me it is a long way from being perfect or the best solution to our needs.

Having experienced both SKy and VM's STB's (in fact having them both plugged in right now to the same TV), I can make a direct comparison and form my own opinion, which is that the TiVo service cannot currently live up to the hype, but do I waste my energy bleating about it every 5 minutes?

No, I just change service provider!

Well you've certainly mentioned it more than once!

I think the mistake you're making is assuming that people who don't have Sky aren't able to access the shows you think they're missing, and that they're basing their opinions on nothing, or worse, jealousy. You seem to be of the opinion that you alone on this forum are uniquely positioned to give your assessment of Sky Atlantic because the rest of us have no experience of it. And yet your opinion, based on the fact that you haven't missed it whilst you've not had it, chimes with the opinion of those of us apparently unable to form an opinion - it may have some good content, but it is over-hyped.

FWIW I'm a relatively recent Sky customer, and, in my opinion, the TiVo stb, even in it's current state, far outstrips the Sky+HD stb. The Sky box may be simple, but I happen to think the TiVo UI is very intuitive - and to be honest, I don't want something that's simple - I want depth and range. I want to be able to explore shows without having to look them up elsewhere, I want to be able see suggestions based on things I like, and if I like a certain actor I want my stb to do the hardwork to see when is stuff is being shown. If I can't do things like that with my PVR then was there ever any real point in them replacing the VCR? Wasn't that supposed to be the start of improving the way we consume television? Isn't TiVo a giant step along the way? Sky+HD certainly isn't. I think it's telling that Sky have had to set up their web-based "never miss" when with a TiVo I just set up a wishlist at the point of use, to give just one example. It took the first whispers of multi-room streaming for Sky to announce that they're working on their own solution to give another. Virgin may not have yet implemented TiVo as well as we'd all like, it might not be as "simple" as it's competitors, but it is technologically well ahead of anything on the market. That's not hype - Sky's own efforts to "keep up" prove it.

muppetman11 23-02-2012 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35387002)
It took the first whispers of multi-room streaming for Sky to announce that they're working on their own solution to give another.

And weres your proof of that , multiroom streaming has been out for years in the USA , one being DirecTV who I believe use NDS middleware a News Corp firm who Sky also use.

You may well like the many advanced features of TIVO and for what it's worth I agree some are pretty good suggestions being the exception in my opinion however the majority just want a functioning PVR what records their favourite shows.

andy_m 23-02-2012 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35387074)
And weres your proof of that , multiroom streaming has been out for years in the USA , one being DirecTV who I believe use NDS middleware a News Corp firm who Sky also use.

You may well like the many advanced features of TIVO and for what it's worth I agree some are pretty good suggestions being the exception in my opinion however the majority just want a functioning PVR what records their favourite shows.

In fairness I don't have any evidence for that particular assertion other than the timing of the announcement, but the point I was making was that technologically speaking, Sky have work to do to match some of the things Tivo is capable of (whether implemented or not) and the evidence suggests that they are trying to close the gap by offering things like "never miss", by working on multi room streaming, by dabbling in vod. If all the majority wants is a simple box and a large channel line up then why are they bothering?

Anyway, this isn't about what the majority want, I just don't like being told I can't have an opinion about a channel just because I don't currently receive it.

devilincarnate 23-02-2012 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35386908)
Nobody can claim to be fully "balanced"

I'am :erm:

muppetman11 23-02-2012 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35387149)
In fairness I don't have any evidence for that particular assertion other than the timing of the announcement, but the point I was making was that technologically speaking, Sky have work to do to match some of the things Tivo is capable of

That's a very one sided opinion though Andy , what about balancing it with some of the features the Sky+ box has that are still missing on TIVO

Dynamic EPG , an EPG that's updated by the broadcaster and not reliant on a company in the US , a 1TB box that records 240 hrs in HD , BBC , Sky Sports red button , reminders , the ability to setup a series link or reminder from a trailer , On Demand content that can be copied to your planner to avoid expiration.

I currently use both boxes granted the TIVO maybe only once a week or so and both have strengths and weaknesses and I do agree that Sky do see TIVO as a threat and rightly so , as DF frequently says on here it's down to the individuals requirements my parents can barely receive 1mb via ADSL hence why they choose VM , for me the fact Sky is cheaper offers a better HD linear channel range , Sky F1 HD , Sky 3D plus a multitude of mobile apps are the pull. I'm sure you choose VM for BB and TIVO and the fact it probably saves you money.

denphone 23-02-2012 20:13

But Virgin offer many things that their competitors don't offer or if they do then they have to pay more for them and then you can couple that with Virgins superior broadband, a superior VOD service and a vastly superior STB and overall that makes it a better all round service in many peoples minds.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing...Tickles_ExC_10

stereohaven 23-02-2012 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35386908)
You seem pro-Sky, so not really "balanced". Nobody can claim to be fully "balanced" as you'd just be a fence-sitter ;) :p:

What I mean by "balanced" is that I have tried both service providers within the last 6 months, so (I think) I can provide a more reasoned view on both product ranges.

What I am not interested in hearing repeatedly is bleating and moaning from people who haven't ever seen, heard or used something. It's just pointless noise as far as I am concerned and I fail to understand why people get so wound up about things they don't have or apparently don't want because it is "over hyped" anyway!

I assume all of these people will leave in droves out of sheer disgust when Sky Atlantic comes to VM... :scratch:

As for being "pro Sky" then I am guilty as charged!

I left Sky in October for VM and apart from some positives, overall the service has been a big disappointment to us, so as soon as we can we will give notice and return to Sky because for us, their package works best.

At least I can say I have tried both services which I believe (even if no one else agrees!), means my opinions are more valid on the services offered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35387149)
...I just don't like being told I can't have an opinion about a channel just because I don't currently receive it.

Of course you can have an opinion, it just doesn't have any weight with me when you are talking about something you have never seen or used. :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35387153)
I'am :erm:

Glad to hear it. :D

andy_m 23-02-2012 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35387167)
Dynamic EPG , an EPG that's updated by the broadcaster and not reliant on a company in the US , a 1TB box that records 240 hrs in HD , BBC , Sky Sports red button , reminders , the ability to setup a series link or reminder from a trailer , On Demand content that can be copied to your planner to avoid expiration.

I did say that I knew not all of what Tivo is capable of had yet been implemented, and it is frustrating that red button and reminders are :sleep:"coming soon". However, you seem to suggest that Tivo wouldn't be able to run with a dynamic epg, which I don't believe to be the case, and the recording space on the hard drive differs because of the compression standards used by the different companies rather than any lack of ability on the part of the box so I think you're being slightly harsh to claim that as a Sky "feature" in response to a post which is specifically about whether one box is technologically superior to another. As for being able to back up on demand, I would imagine the rights issues are a bit easier to get over when you own them all-again, nothing to do with the box, more to do with the company.

And yes, I did come to Virgin for the broadband. When I later moved my TV over to them I found V+ a real shock to the system, even though it is just a "simple pvr that records peoples programmes". I'm sure you would agree that in terms of boxes V+ hd doesn't come close to Sky+ hd, even though it has many "features" you refer to.

andy_m 23-02-2012 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereohaven (Post 35387185)
Of course you can have an opinion, it just doesn't have any weight with me when you are talking about something you have never seen or used. :shrug:

But you don't know who has or hasn't seen it-you're just assuming that because the channel isn't on cable nobody with cable can have seen any of the content, when in actual fact they can, and in most cases they can have done so perfectly lawfully.

However, my point was that the channel is not as good as it's made out to be by some. I based that mainly on the fact that I have watched some of the stuff it shows, and I really haven't been blown away. But I also based it partly on your own admission that you haven't missed the channel whilst you've not had it, so even if we take your opinion of the channel as the only one that carries any weight, the channel still isn't all that!

stereohaven 23-02-2012 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35387182)
But Virgin offer many things that their competitors don't offer...

I like the free photos, that's a nice little extra. :)

Quote:

...or if they do then they have to pay more for them...

If I take ADSL Broadband again when I move back to Sky then after the April price increase we will be saving money over what we pay VM now for the same package (but slower Broadband).

If I get Sky Fibre then it will be costing us around £12 a month more, so I can't argue with you on that, but VM can be as cheap as it likes if it doesn't work regularly (which has been our experience), then it is of no use to us.

Actually this month is cheaper again as we have received another £15 credit on our account due to Broadband issues.

Quote:

...and then you can couple that with Virgins superior broadband...

When it works it's great, but often it doesn't, the SuperHub is pretty useless and how something connected at a reported 30MB can't stream YouTube is beyond me!

Quote:

...a superior VOD service...

Yet again iPlayer on the TiVo isn't working tonight.

I did enjoy watching Ashes To Ashes on demand though when I first got it.

Quote:

...and a vastly superior STB...

It should be but VM's network and lack of thought on certain features handicaps it in my view. It's good and could be the best STB if they commit to it properly with things like decent apps and a dynamic EPG.

Quote:

...and overall that makes it a better all round service in many peoples minds.

Mind reader as well are we? It's like trying to discuss things with Derren Brown not denphone...

:LOL:

Dave42 23-02-2012 20:41

would not swap my Tivo for anything

denphone 23-02-2012 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by stereohaven (Post 35387192)
I like the free photos, that's a nice little extra. :)

If I take ADSL Broadband again when I move back to Sky then after the April price increase we will be saving money over what we pay VM now for the same package (but slower Broadband).

If I get Sky Fibre then it will be costing us around £12 a month more, so I can't argue with you on that, but VM can be as cheap as it likes if it doesn't work regularly (which has been our experience), then it is of no use to us.

Actually this month is cheaper again as we have received another £15 credit on our account due to Broadband issues.

When it works it's great, but often it doesn't, the SuperHub is pretty useless and how something connected at a reported 30MB can't stream YouTube is beyond me!

Yet again iPlayer on the TiVo isn't working tonight.

I did enjoy watching Ashes To Ashes on demand though when I first got it.

It should be but VM's network and lack of thought on certain features handicaps it in my view. It's good and could be the best STB if they commit to it properly with things like decent apps and a dynamic EPG.

Mind reader as well are we? It's like trying to discuss things with Derren Brown not denphone...

:LOL:

l find your posts very entertaining and perhaps you have had some training from the great master MM and yes l was talking to the great Uri Geller earlier and he gave me a few mind reading tips.:)

stereohaven 23-02-2012 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35387191)
...But I also based it partly on your own admission that you haven't missed the channel whilst you've not had it, so even if we take your opinion of the channel as the only one that carries any weight, the channel still isn't all that!

I haven't missed it probably because Game of Thrones hasn't been on! :D

I think we are going round in circles because I haven't been defending the quality or otherwise of Sky Atlantic, just pointing out that I don't think people complaining about it when they haven't seen it as having any value.

Sure you can watch some of the content in other ways and no not all of the shows will appeal to everyone but why do people get so wound up about something they don't have?

To be honest I am as bored of trying to make my point clear as I am sure many people are of reading its so I'm going to leave it there. :)

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35387199)
l find your posts very entertaining and perhaps you have had some training from the great master MM and yes l was talking to the great Uri Geller earlier and he gave me a few mind reading tips.:)

Just don't let him in the kitchen... :D

Digital Fanatic 23-02-2012 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35387193)

Same here Dave :)

denphone 23-02-2012 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic (Post 35387205)
Same here Dave :)

Add me to that as well DF.:tu:

Dave42 23-02-2012 21:02

and Tivo be even better next month with red button on bbc and sky sports :cleader::cleader::cleader:

Digital Fanatic 23-02-2012 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35387214)
and Tivo be even better next month with red button on bbc and sky sports :cleader::cleader::cleader:

indeed... looking forward to the BBC Apps myself :)

Pbryanw 24-02-2012 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35387193)

Just swapped to Freesat to save a bit of money on my Virgin bill, and now I'm missing TiVo. It may trade blows with Sky's HD box, but put it against nearly all the available Freeview/Freesat boxes, with their limited VoD services and dated interfaces, and it really shines. (Maybe YouView might freshen things up though).

I don't mind losing the channels (as I was on XL) but I do miss the TiVo and it seems, in my case at least, once you've tried TiVo it's hard to accept anything else as substitute :tu:

oliver1948uk 25-02-2012 10:24

. . . but still no dynamic EPG on Tivo and no prospect of it coming for a long time.

denphone 25-02-2012 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 35387932)
. . . but still no dynamic EPG on Tivo and no prospect of it coming for a long time.

That will come in due time but the TiVo as it stands is still head and shoulders above any other box in many peoples opinions.:)

oliver1948uk 25-02-2012 10:30

Not mine (after 6+ months use).

If the V+ had a larger hard drive, I would go back to that.

Kymmy 25-02-2012 11:58

Last few argumentative posts removed..

If you don't like someone's comment then either leave the thread or use the ignore button. If you don't then we'll simply use the infract button.

paulsouth 25-02-2012 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyFTW (Post 35384491)
Could a TiVo user post a video of a TiVo being used in the real world? Someone just do video of scrolling through menus going into various ondemand sections ect? Accessing apps..

virgin media 500gb tivo is very slow..useless..i got it at home

Doz007 25-02-2012 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doz007 (Post 35384519)

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsouth (Post 35388022)
virgin media 500gb tivo is very slow..useless..i got it at home

Check out my video above. Granted it's the 1tb model but I think calling TiVo slow & useless is far from the truth. Don't get me wrong, I've recently had Sky installed and the 1tb Sky+HD box is noticeably quicker but that doesn't make the TiVo useless. :)