Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   EXPLODING lightbulbs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=26190)

Ramrod 24-03-2005 11:29

Re: EXPLODING lightbulbs

We had an expensive large globe bulb (Habitat) explode in the waiting room once :erm: Luckily no one was sitting near it at the time :disturbd:

allieyoung666 24-03-2005 11:31

There might be a static build up that causes the light bulb to blow, the ones out of Tesco's do that and the scare the hell out of me!!!

ian@huth 24-03-2005 11:39

We've just had a pack of four energy saving bulbs sent to us free from Powergen Staywarm. They should last us forever as there is only one fitting in the house that we can use them in and we already have a couple that we got free from a link in the freebies thread. Everywhere else uses candle bulbs or reflector bulbs. Are there any really small power saving bulbs?

bopdude 24-03-2005 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian@huth
We've just had a pack of four energy saving bulbs sent to us free from Powergen Staywarm. They should last us forever as there is only one fitting in the house that we can use them in and we already have a couple that we got free from a link in the freebies thread. Everywhere else uses candle bulbs or reflector bulbs. Are there any really small power saving bulbs?

Dozens, heres one site, I googled and got plenty more :tu:

allieyoung666 24-03-2005 11:47

I am not to keen on these energy effiecent ones, I think that they are really dim and they seem to take ages to 'warm up' if you pardon the pun and they seem to make the room look really dark

Stuart 24-03-2005 11:56

We use Osram or Ikea bulbs at home. Both seem quite reliable, and the Ikea ones have the bonus that they are relatively cheap.

The downside is that Ikea seem to use a different fitting for each kind of lamp (they don't, I think they use 5 types, it just seems like more), so where as before we would have maybe a couple of different types of bulb, we now have a whole drawer full of them..

allieyoung666 24-03-2005 11:58

I do not think the light quality is there though and we have philips ones, give me old fashioned ones anyday!

dilli-theclaw 24-03-2005 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by allieyoung666
I do not think the light quality is there though and we have philips ones, give me old fashioned ones anyday!

I used to only have a clean (non pearl) lightbulb in my computer room, as this was best to show off my star trek holograms.

But after the expliding thing - I think I'll stick with energy saving ones. Touch wood - non of my engersaving ones have broken yet.

allieyoung666 24-03-2005 12:09

AHHHH your poor star trek collection, is it okay??

dilli-theclaw 24-03-2005 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by allieyoung666
AHHHH your poor star trek collection, is it okay??

My sci fi collection lives to fight another day ;):D

allieyoung666 24-03-2005 12:14

:angel: :angel: :angel:

Electrolyte01 24-03-2005 12:26

I thought bulbs only exploded or "poped" when too much electricity goes thru the wire?

I would stay well away from those bulbs. Luckily I have energy saving ones in my room :erm:

zoombini 24-03-2005 12:30

I saw a tip to use a potato, shove it into it, twist & remove.

Although given the moisture in it, best to switch off first:D

Gogogo 24-03-2005 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
I'm not sure if this is in the right place.....

The missus bought a load of cheap lightbulbs last year before we started getting the energy saving ones.

I had one of these in the computer room and at one end of the living room.

Now each time one of these bulbs has blown it has blown with some force. In fact usually seperating the bulb from the metal part you fit into the socket.

Last night the one in the computer room went - and spread little bits of glass mostly in the uplighter - but also over the computer room floor.

What I'd like to know is why do they go with such force? What is the best way to remove the metal part. (I turned of the lights at the mains and did it).

Anyway also if this is a general trend - I'd steer clear of cheapo bulbs people.

p.s. when a bulb goes now I replace it with an energy one.

If you still have the packaging and any remaining bulbs and receipt for purchase visit your local trading standards office and report it, as such bulbs are a menace.

:erm:

dilli-theclaw 24-03-2005 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gogogo
If you still have the packaging and any remaining bulbs and receipt for purchase visit your local trading standards office and report it, as such bulbs are a menace.

:erm:

Unfortunately they are now on the way to the tip. Good idea tho.