Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Picturebox HD Movies with full Dolby Surround (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33655038)

irishguymcr 06-09-2009 01:15

Picturebox HD Movies with full Dolby Surround

Hi

I just thought I'd mention in case nobody noticed but this weeks Picturebox HD movies all appear to have full Dolby surround sound.

I just watched Hot Fuzz and the picture and the sound were great.

Just a pity the previous 3 weeks films haven't got it though but hopefully this will continue.

zing_deleted 06-09-2009 01:19

Re: Picturebox HD Movies with full Dolby Surround

do you mean Dolby Digital or Dolby Pro Logic Surround one being a lot better than the other?

irishguymcr 06-09-2009 01:25

Dolby Pro Logic full surround, the first film I watched a movie on Picturebox in HD and have had the full home theatre experience. If they keep this up it will make it worth continuing to pay the £5 a month. Not bad movies coming up either.

http://www.picturebox.tv/virgin-list.php

zing_deleted 06-09-2009 01:30

Dolby pro logic is not proper surround sound its stereo signal thats artificially split to give centre and rear effects. Dolby Digital is 5/6/7/8 channel audio

irishguymcr 06-09-2009 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by zing (Post 34867755)
Dolby pro logic is not proper surround sound its stereo signal thats artificially split to give centre and rear effects. Dolby Digital is 5/6/7/8 channel audio

all i know is my samsung amp says Dolby Digital and it is the same sound quality I get from BluRay movies and also that the sound quality is excellent

i was just rather shocked that the sound was so good compared to normal

zing_deleted 06-09-2009 09:22

so it is Dolby Digital thats what you want :)

Kymmy 06-09-2009 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by zing (Post 34867755)

Hmmm,

Dolby Pro Logic give you exclusive left, centre, right and rear (with some units splitting off the lower freq's into a SW..) so a 4.0 or 4.1 system (or even 5.0 in it's DPLII format

Just because it's analogue encoded it doesn't exclude itself from being Surround Sound ;) :p:

zing_deleted 06-09-2009 10:11

ok its matrix encoded into a stereo signal and has to be processed later my mistake its still no where near as good as DD

Quote:

Matrix encoding does not allow one to encode several channels in fewer channels without losing information: one cannot fit 5 channels into 2 (or even 3 into 2) without losing information, as this loses dimensions: the decoded signals are not independent. The idea is rather to encode something that will both be an acceptable approximation of the surround sound when decoded, and acceptable (or even superior) stereo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_decoder

Kymmy 06-09-2009 10:13

Agreed there :D

At least though it wasn't some psuedo surround sound using two speakers :(

Digital Fanatic 06-09-2009 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishguymcr (Post 34867743)
Hi

I just thought I'd mention in case nobody noticed but this weeks Picturebox HD movies all appear to have full Dolby surround sound.

I just watched Hot Fuzz and the picture and the sound were great.

Just a pity the previous 3 weeks films haven't got it though but hopefully this will continue.

good stuff! :)

irishguymcr 07-09-2009 11:36

Hi

Just to confirm it looks like Dolby Digital 5.1 after reading the manual of my home cinema system.:)

sean1983 07-09-2009 13:30

I am getting Dolby Digital 5.1 on all movies via PictureBox HD or SD!

I think if you are not you might have a decoder issue

irishguymcr 07-09-2009 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean1983 (Post 34868452)
I am getting Dolby Digital 5.1 on all movies via PictureBox HD or SD!

I think if you are not you might have a decoder issue

I'm connecting my Samsung HomeCinema Amp via Optical from my V+ and it only appears in Dolby Digital 5.1 on this weeks HD movies all previous weeks not and I have just tried an SD movie from last week and it just comes up as linear.

Can anyone else confirm whether or not they get Dolby Digital 5.1 on all movies via PictureBox HD or SD using the optical cable connection.

@ sean1983 I just wonder do you get Dolby 5.1 on any other channels other than HD?