Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HD is overrated (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33650311)

Ben B 21-05-2009 01:10

HD is overrated

Do you agree?

rogerdraig 21-05-2009 01:16

Re: HD is overrated

depends on what you mean by HD, blue ray on a good 1080p monitor looks superb but i wouldnt pay extra for up scaled or for 720 hd

may be you need a few more options for me to vote :)

cimt 21-05-2009 01:18

It all depends on what you're watching.

KnightRider 21-05-2009 01:29

I agree totally. The vast majority of HD screened on the various Sky HD channels is upscaled material. Apart from movies and live sport not a lot of choice. So a good quality tv and a HD box that upscales will show little difference to the average punter. Blueray yes different matter different ball park for quality.

MovedGoalPosts 21-05-2009 01:29

Since my only experience of HD is BBC HD via Virginn on a 1080i based 37" LCD TV, I doubt I'm qualified to vote. I'd like to see far more HD content of films and the like transmitted over a TV system before any sort of vote. Put it this way, if Virgin don't get a much better HD offering soon, I'm not going to continue paying for SD based movie channels and such like where I feel I am loosing out. I'd be better off with a subscription to a DVD / Blue Ray rental service.

I suspect, based on most of the hype that to watch a properly recorded Blue Ray 1080p disc with the full surroound sound experience on a good sized screen could be awesome.

homealone 21-05-2009 01:32

tbh I am indifferent

I mainly watch TV on my pc monitor

I have a normal v box & use Chris TV with the dscaler add in - the picture is pretty good on a 22" widescreen monitor.

I also view downloaded TV programs, mainly those available at 720p resolution using x264 protocol.

These do look better, of course, but I question whether the difference is worth the frothing at the mouth that always seems to accompany the debate about HD TV?

My wife, however, watches TV on a 32" LCD via a V+ set top box over HDMI - and all the programs look good, whether they are HD, or not, because of the upscaling.

Subjectively my downloaded HDTV programs on my monitor look as good as the best available on the downstairs telly, though???

My conclusion is that everyone should decide what looks good for them & disregard the advice available from some of the purists - if it looks good to you, that is all that matters :)

chickendippers 21-05-2009 01:35

It looks nice, but I don't think it's worth an extra subscription charge.

KnightRider 21-05-2009 01:42

You see most average punters are still getting to grip with the quality of digital as compared to the analogue they have just got rid of so asking them to compare HD to digital they just don't see the difference. Plus they have no HD set either. Most people don't have the critical eye we all seem to have so its less important to the majority.

---------- Post added at 00:42 ---------- Previous post was at 00:36 ----------

By the way as we are on about picture quality has anyone else noticed that the PQ of all the discovery channels has vastly improved today. Maybe a higher resolution or higher bitrate but ive got at least twice as good PQ than before.

Mr. Garibaldi 21-05-2009 08:23

HD is not overrated, If you've been watching an HD channel BBC HD for example and you go back to a normal SD channel you will notice an imediate difference. you get a blocky picture with SD for a start where as HD is clear.

Having said that the upscaled picture on my V+ box is pretty good anyway, just a shame that VM don't get some more HD Channels, Fingers crossed for Sci-Fi HD.

Jimmy-J 21-05-2009 08:41

The HD content I've seen (SKY) is breathtaking.

Maggy 21-05-2009 08:41

Dunno about over rated..but if you asked if it was over priced then I'd agree.

southwell 21-05-2009 08:46

Things like Discovery HD, Sky Sports HD, etc look breathtaking on Sky HD, the images are so crisp and clear. I don't think it is worth the £10 a month for it, but i am glad i have it when you get a programme that takes full advantage of it. :D

Mr. Garibaldi 21-05-2009 09:02

I agree the HD picture on Sky is amazing, I think the subscription for the Hd channels is pretty good value for the amount you get, I would gladly pay for them if they where introduced on VM.

dd11 21-05-2009 10:07

Depends on the content. fr example special fx films an nature stuff is Awesone in HD!!

i think its a rip off that they charge you more just to watch a better picture quality though, afterall, thats all it is. I want it want it!!! HD!

Jimmy-J 21-05-2009 10:15

Why do Virgin only have one HD channel?