Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : Old 'Tivo' boxes? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704557)

iadom 03-03-2017 16:30

Old 'Tivo' boxes?

A while ago when we upgraded to new Tivo boxes VM asked me to return one of the old STB's and dispose of the other one. I think at the time that one was Samsung and the older one an SA box.

I have just seen an advert in our local evening newspaper offering cash for Sky digi boxes and Virgin Media Tivo boxes.

Surely the Tivos have not yet become obsolete have they?

Jim.

BenMcr 03-03-2017 17:00

Re: Old 'Tivo' boxes?

Virgin still do ask for TiVo boxes back at present.

Wonder why they want to pay for them though. They can't be used by anyone once they're disconnected - unlike Sky boxes that can be reused with a new viewing card.

iadom 03-03-2017 17:15

I suppose there are 'unofficial' ways. :(

Still see a few TiVo boxes for sale on Flea bay as well.

BenMcr 03-03-2017 17:16

There is no way of getting a TiVo box to work on Virgin TV without a valid subscription. The 'unofficial' ways stopped when Virgin Media moved to cardless authentication for TiVo.

And with the eBay TiVo boxes, unless they are selling them as non-working boxes, it's fraud.

mhatter67 03-03-2017 20:21

Interesting how many legacy boxes are still active V+ or SD and HD STB none PVR boxes out there?

RichardCoulter 03-03-2017 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 35888323)
I suppose there are 'unofficial' ways. :(

Still see a few TiVo boxes for sale on Flea bay as well.

How much do they tend to go for out of interest?

I can't see what use they would be though, even the FTA channels are obscured by TiVo branding if there isn't an active subscription in place.

Ken W 03-03-2017 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35888325)
There is no way of getting a TiVo box to work on Virgin TV without a valid subscription. The 'unofficial' ways stopped when Virgin Media moved to cardless authentication for TiVo.

And with the eBay TiVo boxes, unless they are selling them as non-working boxes, it's fraud.

They could always be used as a door stop. :-)

OLD BOY 04-03-2017 02:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35888370)
How much do they tend to go for out of interest?

I can't see what use they would be though, even the FTA channels are obscured by TiVo branding if there isn't an active subscription in place.

I agree with you, Richard. I think those who buy these boxes get a bit of a shock when they try to use them.

johnathome 04-03-2017 11:34

Maybe there is a way to flash them and use them for 'something else'?

nodrogd 04-03-2017 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35888455)
Maybe there is a way to flash them and use them for 'something else'?

Don't see what they could be used for. The frequency band the boxes operate at is only used for DAB radio & other private comms operations. The only thing they would be useable on would be another cable TV system. To get them to operate on other TV platforms would require a lot of the electronics inside to be changed.

fixerman 04-03-2017 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 35888311)
A while ago when we upgraded to new Tivo boxes VM asked me to return one of the old STB's and dispose of the other one. I think at the time that one was Samsung and the older one an SA box.

I have just seen an advert in our local evening newspaper offering cash for Sky digi boxes and Virgin Media Tivo boxes.

Surely the Tivos have not yet become obsolete have they?

Jim.

The "Old" Tivo boxes remain the property of Virginmedia and anybody offering to sell them is breaking the law and as others have said they are of no use whatsoever outside of the Virginmedia network.

dragon 04-03-2017 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhatter67 (Post 35888368)
Interesting how many legacy boxes are still active V+ or SD and HD STB none PVR boxes out there?

Definitely some, I know people who still have the old SD Samsung box and the blue ambit modem for broadband, the only way they'll probably ever upgrade is when forced due to either equipment failure or Virgin dropping support for it.

Likewise they only went from analogue cable to digital when analogue got switched off in there area :shocked:

Some people are technophobes and if it's working don't want to change it.