Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Can VM trace unwanted marketing calls? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33678574)

Welshchris 10-06-2011 17:49

Can VM trace unwanted marketing calls?

I am signed up to the TPS and have been for atleast 2 years.

For the Past 2 weeks i keep getting calls from a call center that sounds Indian asking for a Mrs T Owen and ive told them on a number of occasions theres no one living here by that name and they have the wrong number.

Again now a few mins ago it happened and when i asked for the name of the company they hung up. When i dialled 1471 the callers number is witheld.

Is there anything that Virgin can do?

bonzoe 11-06-2011 17:29

Re: Can VM trace unwanted marketing calls?

I've had the same experience, when I asked who they were they said they would ring back later, but I told them not to.................heard no more since.

007stuart 11-06-2011 20:04

On a similar subject - silent calls and no 1471 number. What does Virgin do to help identify offenders?

Welshchris 11-06-2011 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzoe (Post 35255943)
I've had the same experience, when I asked who they were they said they would ring back later, but I told them not to.................heard no more since.

if they carry on phaps if i become offensive it may tip their hand to make a move so i can find out who they are.

Digital Fanatic 11-06-2011 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welshchris (Post 35255336)
I am signed up to the TPS and have been for atleast 2 years.

For the Past 2 weeks i keep getting calls from a call center that sounds Indian asking for a Mrs T Owen and ive told them on a number of occasions theres no one living here by that name and they have the wrong number.

Again now a few mins ago it happened and when i asked for the name of the company they hung up. When i dialled 1471 the callers number is witheld.

Is there anything that Virgin can do?

Theres not a lot VM can do about incomming calls.. if they were malicious then you could speak to the police, but mis-directed sales calls wouldn't be classed as malicious.

The other problem you have is they are with-holding their number, so you couldn't even get that number blocked. A last resort is Anon Caller reject, but that doesn't always work with International with-holds.

I use TrueCall myself, it's pricey to set up but so worth it if you are plagued by these type of calls.

007stuart 11-06-2011 23:36

I fail to see why Virgin cannot trace these calls for their customers as I would have thought all calls made to a vm number will be logged somewhere.

Peter_ 12-06-2011 01:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007stuart (Post 35256098)
I fail to see why Virgin cannot trace these calls for their customers as I would have thought all calls made to a vm number will be logged somewhere.

Not possible as they will be routed from outside the UK and as the will be no ID on the call the is nothing to trace it with, if you know different please let us know.

jodash 12-06-2011 07:32

I have signed up with TPS for about 10 years now but still get these calls,also get these survey calls,when I ask are you selling me anything and the answer is yes I then mention TPS

Rillington 14-06-2011 14:13

As have I.

I have caller display and never answer the telephone unless I recognise the number. Therefore, I ignore all these "international" calls althogh it does annoy me when I get several of them each day, as can be the case sometimes.

Mr K 18-06-2011 12:19

Register with TPS, be ex-directory, never give your landline number out to anybody , always opt out of marketing and be careful with your personal info. On websites that insist on having your tel no. , using the tel no. 01234567890 works a treat. Works for me, I get no marketing/silent calls. If your number is already doing the rounds its too late, change your no. and start again is your only option. The only sales call I've received in the last year have been from Virgin Media........

grim reaper 19-06-2011 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35259763)
never give your landline number out to anybody ,

defeeats the object of having a phone .... as "anybody" will obviously have to include friends and family, .... still, not a bad idea if you want to become a recluse :)