Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Pulse dialing query (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33615160)

katylou 31-05-2007 11:46

Pulse dialing query

Does nayone know whether Virgin Media support pulse dialing any more? The reason I ask is that I really want to buy a retro Rotary Dial telephone, that has been re-worked for modern use. The suppliers all state that the phones are compatable with BT lines and most cable suppliers that support Pulse or Rotary Dialing. I have a Virgin Media landline on the talk unlimited package. Ive looked on the virgin media site, but no joy. Dont suppose anyone on here might know?

zing_deleted 31-05-2007 12:29

Re: Pulse dialing query

:welcome: I have no idea but someone should you could try calling tech sup ?

on in an hour! 31-05-2007 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by katylou (Post 34317899)
Does nayone know whether Virgin Media support pulse dialing any more? The reason I ask is that I really want to buy a retro Rotary Dial telephone, that has been re-worked for modern use. The suppliers all state that the phones are compatable with BT lines and most cable suppliers that support Pulse or Rotary Dialing. I have a Virgin Media landline on the talk unlimited package. Ive looked on the virgin media site, but no joy. Dont suppose anyone on here might know?

you can use either tone or pulse in ex-C & W areas,i know this as ive been to 2 faults where sub complaining of noise on line when dialling!!!! :( tone being the 1 that crackles every No you dial.

papa smurf 31-05-2007 14:45

yes you can use pulse or tbr in ex ntl[most modern phones have a switch on underside of phone with tbr-p so you can set it yourself]

telephonesales 01-03-2009 19:27

I run a site selling old dial telephones at and would love to be able to find out from a postcode or telephone number if a customer can use pulse dialling. I would say that the vast majority of virgin media customers can still use pulse dialling (rotery dial) but my hart sinks when they say they are virgin media because I have no way of finding out myslf and after the customer has spent a couple of hours talking to people that have no idea what they are talking about or just say no to get rid of them I simply loose a sale. Many switch back to BT because I can tell them it works for sure. Please if anyone can tell me if how to get this info easily it will help both virgin media amd me.

Jon T 01-03-2009 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by telephonesales (Post 34742959)
I run a site selling old dial telephones at and would love to be able to find out from a postcode or telephone number if a customer can use pulse dialling. I would say that the vast majority of virgin media customers can still use pulse dialling (rotery dial) but my hart sinks when they say they are virgin media because I have no way of finding out myslf and after the customer has spent a couple of hours talking to people that have no idea what they are talking about or just say no to get rid of them I simply loose a sale. Many switch back to BT because I can tell them it works for sure. Please if anyone can tell me if how to get this info easily it will help both virgin media amd me.

You need to look at stocking a device like this http://www.oldphoneworks.com/pulse-t...converter.html

Mr_Moo 03-03-2009 19:36

I found this with a quick google search (ironic how google chrome doesn't recognise 'google' as a correctly spelt word...) Anyway,

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?p=8794533

Paul 03-03-2009 19:39

All VM exchanges should support pulse dialling - they use the same technology as BT.

Mr_Moo 03-03-2009 19:42

And these technologies have been around for decades, long before 'digitone' was around.

Paul 03-03-2009 20:22

Pretty much - I was installing the digital exchanges BT use 20 years ago.

Mr_Moo 06-03-2009 14:23

I can confirm you CAN use pulse dialling phones on the VIRGIN/C&W/NTL/TELEWEST network. We tested one yesterday just to be 100% sure.

You can stop sending all our comanys business to the rivals now ;)

EliotL 24-08-2009 10:54

Have you tried tapping with your existing phone?
This mimics pulse dialing, you just have to quickly tap the button on your phone that you use to hang up, tap once for 1, twice very quickly for 2, thrice for 3 and 10 for 0 etc... like you could try ringing the speaking clock on 123 by tapping to check if you have pulse dialing support!
I wouldn't try actually ringing someone like that as it takes ages and you have to try and tap 10 pulses per second!

BenMcr 25-08-2009 00:23

Of course that doesn't work if you have a cordless phone ;)

Matthew 25-08-2009 00:24

Might be worth checking this site out.

scooby-doo 26-08-2009 23:26

you can use pulse mode on virgin media network, but when you try to use these multi options menus e.g press 1 for faults press 2 for billing . etc... you may find that the network doesn't recognise the input. sometimes it works sometimes not.

trust me been there and done it. as soon as you change to tone dialing problem solved.