Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Think of your engineer this Christmas :) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33699516)

DJSADERS 03-12-2014 22:00

Think of your engineer this Christmas :)

Please think of your engineer as a human and not a machine at this time of year, we get overloaded with work between mid november and january which means we can be running late, or we may just want to get on with the job rather than chat... Try and make it as easy as possible for the install... so move furniture or things in the way / decide roughly where you want things before the engineer arrives, if possible make space so the engineer can park safely near the property and not 2 / 3 roads away (and if your feeling really christmassy provide a guest parking permit if needed so the poor guy/gal doesn't get a ticket).

And if possible try to think outside the "box", all engineers try to get every customer in as best as possible and as on time as possible but due to the increased work load, a little bit of "kindness" and just "niceness" go a long way.

:)

Chris 04-12-2014 09:11

Re: Think of your engineer this Christmas :)

All good advice ... I've made this a sticky thread until the festive season is over. :)

DJSADERS 04-12-2014 19:35

Brill... Thanks!

ruddock08 06-12-2014 19:24

My sister had VM installed last week. Guy was rushed off his feet. Was supposed to be there in the morning - phoned about 11 to ask if he could come about 2. Not a problem at all as long as they let you know in advance :)

RB2004 01-12-2016 12:18

Shame VM don't think of their engineers.

Last time I needed a TiVo box replacement, my signal levels were perfect, my installation is perfect, a self install replacement would of been fine.

But they adamantly insisted on sending an engineer.

Cant win sometimes though, a few years back I did some of the work for the people who connect up drop cables and they seemed annoyed?

Had a replacement cable installed, I connected up all of my end, dug the trench and laid the cable in the garden to correct depth for cables.

and when an engineer came to connect telephone cable in pit he connected up pit end... then when team arrived to do the work that had already been done they got annoyed for some reason?

Chris 01-12-2016 12:53

Might be worth remembering that the word you're using, when used without the qualifying word "off", in British English does not have the American-English meaning you appear to be invoking. On first reading it sounds like you're complaining about engineers drinking on the job over Christmas.

RB2004 13-12-2016 22:15

I did today :)

I made sure my signal levels were spot on, unplugged all 3 of my boxes and put them together... then swapped over the power supplies for him while he was on phone activating the boxes prior to plugging in.

Chris 13-12-2016 23:15

:beer: :D

Ken W 13-12-2016 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJSADERS (Post 35744904)
Please think of your engineer as a human and not a machine at this time of year, we get overloaded with work between mid november and january which means we can be running late, or we may just want to get on with the job rather than chat... Try and make it as easy as possible for the install... so move furniture or things in the way / decide roughly where you want things before the engineer arrives, if possible make space so the engineer can park safely near the property and not 2 / 3 roads away (and if your feeling really christmassy provide a guest parking permit if needed so the poor guy/gal doesn't get a ticket).

And if possible try to think outside the "box", all engineers try to get every customer in as best as possible and as on time as possible but due to the increased work load, a little bit of "kindness" and just "niceness" go a long way.

:)

I agree, always make the engineer welcome.