Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Booster (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703277)

Visitor 11-07-2016 02:23

Booster

Hi

So I have an established Wifi network(WIFI!), super hub V1, its working on 2.4g and all devices in the house are connected to that network (WIFI1)

If at any time I switch on the guest network (WIFI2) and for example login with a tablet, it has access to the internet, but does not have access to anything on WIFI1

Thats how it suppose to work, and thats all fine...

However, signals are low upstairs, so I would like to buy a booster, but Im getting difference responses from Netgear when I login to live chat.

Im thinking that a Netgear booster will give me 2 options, the first option is to boost the existing wifi, or the second option is to provide a strong hot spot

So this is where Im confused, if the booster provides a new hot spot (new network id) then Im thinking anything connected on that hot spot wont have access to everything on my default (WIFI1)

I was hoping to buy a Netgear booster that has 2.4g and 5g, there are devices in the home that will only work on 2.4g so cant switch over to 5g

I tested 5g and its very strong, works very well, but as I said a few devices will only work on 2.4g

So Am I thinking that the booster wont just amplify the signal, it provides a new network, and so no use to me?

General Maximus 15-07-2016 17:55

Re: Booster

I need a drum roll https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2016/07/2.gif because I am about to do you the biggest favour ever. I don't need to address any of your questions or individual requirements because there is one solution which is going to fix everything for you.

Shub1 is cack and the wifi is beyond cack. I think shub1 came out in 2008 so everything else aside, the wifi technology is ancient and was horrendous even when the shub was new. Shub1 is famous for its appalling wifi and it is well documented.

I am glad to see you are looking to invest some £££ because the absolute best thing you can do to help yourself is put the shub in modem mode and buy yourself a proper router just like this. If you get yourself a proper router the wifi will be far superior to what you have got now and there are many other features you can play with which will enhance your internet experience. I can recommend cheaper routers but you defo need to be looking at an AC router so you know it is going to last you for a while.

Matth 19-07-2016 02:10

A booster (Wifi repeater) has to go between the good signal and the poor signal - if you put it where the signal is needed, then it won't have enough arriving to boost.

The alternative is powerline with Wifi, since the feed is via powerline, it can be placed where the Wifi is already dead.
The booster will extend ONE Wifi network, this could be the primary or the secondary, but not both.
A powerline to Wifi could be independent, or could be an additional access point for the primary.

But as mentioned, the SHUB 1 is awful, if you could get upgraded to a SHUB 2, that has better Wifi than the 1, and supports simultaneous 2.4G and 5G. You could also do that with a decent router and the SHUB 1 in modem mode

Jacquesb 29-08-2016 18:17

My SHUB hardware version is 3.11 running software v1.01.31.

Which SuperHub am I running and are there any advantages in updating the software to a later version ?
:dunce:

arcimedes 30-08-2016 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacquesb (Post 35856525)
My SHUB hardware version is 3.11 running software v1.01.31.

Which SuperHub am I running and are there any advantages in updating the software to a later version ?
:dunce:

Superhub 2 and you are running the latest software.

bampah 06-03-2017 17:17

I've now been upgraded to a shub3 but need to set up a repeater to use in another room to provide access for an ethernet only device.
Can I just plug in a cheap repeater and connect it via WPS?

Hom3r 06-03-2017 18:11

As GM says get a decent Router, I bought the Asus RT-N66U almost at release it cost around £200.

But It is well worth the money. In it's current location I can hit 160meg download over WiFi.

Spend now save later.

General Maximus 06-03-2017 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35888860)
Spend now save later.

exactly dude, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bampah (Post 35888848)
I've now been upgraded to a shub3 but need to set up a repeater to use in another room to provide access for an ethernet only device. Can I just plug in a cheap repeater and connect it via WPS?

I would have a look on Amazon or something and see what is available, google the product, go to the manufacturers page and download the manual and looking the setup instructions.

If that works then all is well and good but depending which room the other device is in and if there is a potential to add more devices in the future (e.g if it is a living room and has tv/sky/bluray player etc) it might be cheaper or the same price to run a patch cable under the carpet to the room and put a switch in instead.
Anyways, there is a good reason for Homer's wise words. There is another thread which we got in to last week where another user was complaining that his homeplugs weren't working with the shub and it isn't the first time it has happened. The fact of the matter is that isp supplied equipment is the basic cheap as chips stuff to get people up and running and sometimes it just doesn't cut it. There is a reason why £80, £100, £150, £200 and £300+ routers exist and that is because they are more stable, have greater performance, better wifi, more features etc and sometimes you need to take that leap. I have always purchased my own routers (you had to when bb first came out many years ago) and only a few weeks ago I bought myself a new Asus AC68U which is flipping brilliant and it set me back £150.
I am not saying that you need to make a huge investment like that to solve a minor problem but it might be worth considering in the future if you continue to increase the size of your network; the shub can only take so much. Pretty much any decent 3rd part router will be able to do what you need it to and as an example this Linksys EA6350 would be a great mid-range router for £70. It is an AC1200 router, it has got a usb3 port so you can use it as a media server or print server and the wan to lan throughput it something like 900mbits so it will definitely last you a while.
I honestly would have recommended that particular model for you regardless. I have been using Linksys routers for over 15 years and never had a single problem with them at all. Asus are excellent as well but a comparably model would be more around £100. Now the cynical mind would wonder why I am saying all this and the reason is because by pure coincidence I am selling my Linksys EA6300 (admins please don't tell me off :)) From what I can tell the EA6350 is exactly the same apart from it has got external antennae. It is in mint condition and I have actually been using it for a similar purpose as you apart from I have been using it as a wireless access point on the other side of the house rather than for an ethernet connection. I just thought I would mention it and it is there if you would like to take a look. It is going to sell anyway but I would like it to go to a good home and know that somebody is going to benefit from it. £45 is a good price.

Hom3r 06-03-2017 21:02

One thing might crop up, newer routers support both 2.4 & 5 GHz at the same time.

So laptops might need a 5GHz USB WiFi card

Visitor 18-03-2017 02:17

well, yer settings in super hub 3 aint as good as netgear i had, however since setting up 5g wifi for device that support it, the hub has worked very well, not updated anything. Late reply as i dont check this mail box much at all :)