Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   V+ box, USB and network connections. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33609983)

chrishoggy 08-03-2007 10:46

V+ box, USB and network connections.

Getting VIP & V+ box installed in 2 days time, and have a few questions about the V+ box.
1/ What is the usb socket for? And can it be used for a USB HDD?
2/ Can the network socket be used to transfer recordings to my PC, via my home network? I have a stand alone CM at the moment, so just want to connect to the V+ box to get Video recordings. In other words the V+ HDD would be accessable like a network drive.:confused:

If none of the above will work, is there a simple way to transfer recording to PC.
Also, is it possible to record from source (eg: from scart) , or does it record from tuners only?

Answers on the back of a £50 note please:D

videodj 08-03-2007 10:56

Re: V+ box, USB and network connections.

Currently the usb and network ports serve no purpose. although you can power usb devices, e.g fan, charge a mobile.

Can only record from tuner, not external sources.

No easy way to transfer to PC, I have mine rigged up to my TV card, but you have to record in real time.

You could transfer to DVD and then PC, but is a bit long winded and time consuming.

chrishoggy 08-03-2007 11:10

I thought that may be the case, but thought I would check.
Would be nice if VM could update the firmware of the boxes to enable these types of connections, if it is possible. I'm sure it would benefit many customers who want to store programs to view on PC or other TV's/DVD players :D

ShadowTD 08-03-2007 11:59

Didn't you get the memo? In the brave new digital age you're not allowed to do what you want with your recordings.

Well, you can, but only with Freeview. *grumble*

chrishoggy 08-03-2007 12:55

Is the SATA connection disabled too? , as the manual I've found says this can be used for an external drive :confused:
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/cus...ce/7004921.pdf

Thats if I'm looking at the correct V+ box:D

setch 08-03-2007 13:51

The PDF in the above links states that the eSata is for extending the capacity of the internal HDD for recording. It would be interesting to know what format the drive is (NTFS/FAT32 or maybe a Linux format). You may be able to copy files directly off the drive.

From what I can gather from a search on the web, the box is supplied to cable companies with all external interfaces disabled. The manufacture leaves it upto the cable company to enable the ports that it wants.

I have an external eSata and will test it later today, I assume that it should show up somewhere when pressing the V+ button.

Stuart 08-03-2007 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by setch (Post 34245637)
The PDF in the above links states that the eSata is for extending the capacity of the internal HDD for recording. It would be interesting to know what format the drive is (NTFS/FAT32 or maybe a Linux format).

Assuming, of course, that the Virgin software doesn't merely disable the port.

Quote:

You may be able to copy files directly off the drive.
You may be able to copy the files, but you almost certainly won't be able to use them elsewhere without using software that we can't allow discussion of on the forum.

setch 08-03-2007 14:11

If the port is enabled then obtaining a Stardom eSata box will greatly increase the number of hours you can record and keep. That alone is probably a good reason to pursue this matter.

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart C (Post 34245643)
Assuming, of course, that the Virgin software doesn't merely disable the port.

You may be able to copy the files, but you almost certainly won't be able to use them elsewhere without using software that we can't allow discussion of on the forum.

Not sure that I see a problem with being allowed to copy directly from the drive to a PC seeing that you are allowed to copy directly to DVD. But then I guess that the law can be a funny thing.

Stuart 08-03-2007 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by setch (Post 34245651)
Not sure that I see a problem with being allowed to copy directly from the drive to a PC seeing that you are allowed to copy directly to DVD. But then I guess that the law can be a funny thing.

All I know for sure is that other PVRs (such as TiVo) allow you to make copies of any non-protected content through Scart, yet if you look at the files on the hard drive, they are heavily encrypted.

I suspect it might be because of quality. Going through Scart, you will see a loss in quality. Copying from the file itself, there would be no loss of quality.

As for my comment about the eSata not being enabled? Well, that's based upon having a Pace 1000 that had disabled Parallel and Serial ports and my current Samsung 2100c which has a disabled USB port.

setch 08-03-2007 16:43

Found this on AVSForum, maybe useful.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

jamiefrost 08-03-2007 16:49

The USB port is active with respect to the fact that you can plug in a USB keyboard and the cursor and number keys work.

i.e enter a channel number and navigate menus, so I am assuming that the rest of the keyboard works with regards to email.

No idea about the rest of the ports

JJ

setch 08-03-2007 21:38

just tried attaching an esata drive. Powered down the V+, then plugged in the eSata drive and powered on the disc. Waited a minute or two and then powered on the V+. During the boot there was some form of communication with the drive as it spun up and the light was flickering. But nothing after that, no message about formatting and no way of finding the drive.

Babbage11 09-03-2007 00:35

Could check if it is showing in engineer pages???

Babbage11 11-03-2007 00:09

After a bit of experimenting I've found there is activity on the network port.

Ports 110 and 65534 are open on the box. Someone obviously has a sense of humour, because if I http://xx.xx.xx.xx:65534 it pops up a webpage with 'What?' on :D

If I scan too many ports at a time, I have to reset the box as it starts ignoring network.

antonieee 03-10-2009 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrishoggy (Post 34245486)
Getting VIP & V+ box installed in 2 days time, and have a few questions about the V+ box.
1/ What is the usb socket for? And can it be used for a USB HDD?
2/ Can the network socket be used to transfer recordings to my PC, via my home network? I have a stand alone CM at the moment, so just want to connect to the V+ box to get Video recordings. In other words the V+ HDD would be accessable like a network drive.:confused:

If none of the above will work, is there a simple way to transfer recording to PC.
Also, is it possible to record from source (eg: from scart) , or does it record from tuners only?

Answers on the back of a £50 note please:D

Hi You can transfer your recorded files from your V+ box to your PC. You will need to select the 'Copy to DVD' feature on your V+ box, insert a video cable to the V+ box and also to your PC, you can only copy in realy time, and not by data transfer. I am told by the Virgin engineer that the USB and ethernet connections do not work.

You can record from your V+ box by using a scart cable and inserting this into the VCR Scart socket. You can also use a universal modulator (Maplin VH89W) allow you to copy to other recordable devices.