Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   US Timeline : The Expanse (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702228)

General Maximus 25-01-2016 21:49

The Expanse

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/about

"Hundreds of years in the future, humans have colonized the solar system. The U.N. controls Earth. Mars is an independent military power. The planets rely on the resources of the Asteroid Belt, where air and water are more precious than gold. For decades, tensions have been rising between these three places. Earth, Mars and the Belt are now on the brink of war. And all it will take is a single spark"

Thought I would create a thread and no one else has yet. We are up to 1x08 and I must say I am really enjoying it. It is great to have some proper pure space sci-fi again which isn't as cheesy as stuff like Dark Matter. I would recommend it to anyone and the only thing I will say is you need to watch the first 4 eps to get into it. It has been likened to series like BSG and GoT where it just drops you right into the middle of something and it takes time to work out who is who and what is going on.

Stuart 26-01-2016 20:29

Re: The Expanse

About half way through the first episode so I am not judging it, but so far it seems a bit like a generic sci fi disaster threatening humanity series. I'll watch a few episodes before I decide if I like it or not.

General Maximus 26-01-2016 20:40

it comes into its own later on. I know some series are so flipping amazing like BSG and GoT that you get hooked right from the start with the pilot but you really do need to watch the first 4 eps of this one to let things get going and the story develop. You'll understand what I mean.

Horizon 09-02-2016 22:13

Watched the whole series of this now and while there are some elements of it I like, the end episode, which I will not spoil for those not seen it, I didn't believe.

I've always loved Sci-Fi/fantasy stuff, but perhaps I'm getting too old as I just find a lot of stuff in the genre boring and repetitive.

I don't see this series returning despite some interesting ideas.

Hugh 09-02-2016 22:21

The book series is very good - five published so far, with the sixth on it's way.

I've really enjoyed the TV series.

General Maximus 09-02-2016 22:32

It is good but not amazing. I think i am enjoying it more than i probably should because it is the only propet space series out atm. I cant wait for the new Star Trek series.

Paul 29-02-2016 02:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35821308)
I don't see this series returning despite some interesting ideas.

It was renewed for a 13 Episode Season 2.

Just started to watch this as I have so much else to watch as well.
Seen Eps 1 & 2 so far, not fantastic, but holding my attention just enough to keep going for now.

General Maximus 29-02-2016 04:39

I am really pleased to hear it has been renewed. You'll love it, it really kicks off after ep 4

techguyone 29-02-2016 13:51

It's pretty good, not great, but ok. The books however.... fantastic!

cupcakes aka dd 16-06-2016 00:50

Does anyone know when this is coming to the UK?

adzii_nufc 16-06-2016 01:15

No information on that at all. Its yet to even be picked up by a UK broadcaster. Doesn't mean that it ever will either. It could never air here or follow Better Call Saul and make it to UK screens via on demand Netflix. Judging by the lack of activity by Netflix it seems no one is in a rush to pick it up which is strange because it doesn't have bad reviews by any means but then again Person of interest and Fringe had great reviews and were cancelled for viewership and financial arguments. Both involved JJ Abrams and both got a 13 episode 5th cancellation season, that pattern.

Maybe someone will leave it to mid second season to see what it'll average over multiple seasons. Not really sure how it works.

General Maximus 16-06-2016 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 35843292)
Does anyone know when this is coming to the UK?

Unless I have lost the plot I can absolutely 100% guarantee I have seen it on TV, it was on syfy and followed not too far behind the US. I can remember watching bits of eps I had seen while I was eating tea one night.

Edit: My bad, just went to look it up and provide a link to confirm and when I was playing the scenes back in my head I realised I was watching Dark Matter :doh: The Expanse is really flipping good though and I strongly recommend it.

cupcakes aka dd 17-06-2016 13:08

How did you guys in the uk watch it?

Scary 17-06-2016 13:14

i dowloaded it, i cant wait for season 2 in 2017

General Maximus 17-06-2016 14:25

The thing which i dont understand is why syfy UK didnt pick it up. You would have thought that it would be the epitomy of scifi for them and they would jump at the chance to have it regardless of whether they thouhht it would be cancelled or not. It is great that they have Star Trek but they neex to keep up with new series as well.