Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Drought summit as rivers in England dry up (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685737)

Maggy 20-02-2012 11:24

Drought summit as rivers in England dry up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17091256

Quote:

Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman is hosting a drought summit later as parts of England struggle with groundwater levels lower than in 1976.
She has invited water companies, farmers and wildlife groups to discuss the situation in south-east England, East Anglia and the East Midlands.
Ms Spelman said she wants the meeting to work out "preventative measures" that could be taken now.
Quote:

She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme many parts of the country had suffered their second dry winter and the likelihood of a hosepipe ban was greater this time around.
Mrs Spelman said water companies had managed to reduce leakage by 36% since the 1990s but there was still a danger of a water shortage
We never seem to learn any lessons on dealing with dry weather and planning ahead.

Gary L 20-02-2012 11:34

Re: Drought summit as rivers in England dry up

It's not a problem. just put our bills up. that fixes every problem.
it even boosts profits.

Maggy 20-02-2012 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35384867)
it even boosts profits.

Can't see how that helps those in poverty?

denphone 20-02-2012 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35384867)
it even boosts profits.

And our bills are the dearest in the country down here Gary so perhaps you can dig into your pocket a bit more to pay for it.

Taf 20-02-2012 12:05

A dry Olympics might be fun... all those extra bods in and around London, drinking, washing and flushing toilets... or not....

Gary L 20-02-2012 12:14

I didn't say I was prepared to pay more. I was just saying that increasing prices usually fixes everything in this country.

I don't know how far we've got with fixing global warming since, maybe they've fixed it and forgot to tell us.

mertle 20-02-2012 12:18

not suprising due to lack rainfall but why oh why did they let all that snow melt back to the rivers.

Why do our gutters waste rainfall why not go to storage tanks for collection to replenish resevoirs.

It makes no sense how backward this country is on water management. Resevoirs often in stupid dry locations net result is it evoporates and dries out.

There not collection buts in afluent rainy areas which then could pipe water to top up resevoirs.

Sure the Eco system in this country needs bringing into 21st century yes it will cost but all we do is fudge.

richard s 20-02-2012 12:42

Paying more for our water will not solve the problem in the short term - It will only make the share holders more profit. We should have a national grid for water, e.g. pipe it down from the North or Scotland, more underground aquifiers are required in the chalk downs of Sussex.

I live in the north part of Kent and I am supplied by Southeast water which has the majority of its water underground.

I have noticed that most of our streams volume goes into the rivers which in turn goes into the sea. What a waste.... I believe that all the South-east is to be water metered by the end of 2014. Then watch the price go up and up and up just like the Gas and Electricity companies do!!!

Tim Deegan 20-02-2012 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35384882)
A dry Olympics might be fun... all those extra bods in and around London, drinking, washing and flushing toilets... or not....

Not forgetting the watersports events...could be difficult rowing a boat on a dry river bed :D

Osem 20-02-2012 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35384893)
Collecting and purifying run-off water would be prohibitively expensive as would the costs of pumping water from high rainfall areas, like Scotland to the south-east. We all know whose bills that would add to.

That having been said we as a nation are profligate with a dwindling natural resource that until now has been in abundant supply. Over population of the south combined with apparent climate change means we'll all have to be more frugal in the future. Water meters will have to be compulsory and I can already hear the squealing from large families about baths.

We didn't used to have separate bathfulls for every person/child every day and shouldn't expect to without paying for the environmental consequences. If you can afford to heat a bathfull with the price of energy today then you can certainly afford the few pence for water in it.

If you say it falls free from the sky, yes it does, so are you going to collect your own?

We already have a large water butt for the gardens requirements and washing the car.

:tu:

TheDaddy 21-02-2012 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35384862)
We never seem to learn any lessons on dealing with dry weather and planning ahead.

We are planning ahead, soon as the oil wars finish we'll start the water wars and the best lesson we can learn is fixing the old pipes when they spring a leak, wonder how many billions of gallons we loose each year?

richard1960 21-02-2012 12:54

I cannot understand although very expensive why a national water grid cannot be built its been talked about on and off for years.:confused:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...1466-30370853/

Russ 21-02-2012 13:42

They're talking about this on Radio 2 right now, saying that water from Wales ought to be sent to the drought areas in England. The English callers who are in favour of the idea are saying there are no regions in the UK, instead we are a 'united country'. Funny they should have that view now that England needs something from us.

It's not such a bad idea really providing you lot pay for it, our free prescriptions need to be funded somehow ;)

richard1960 21-02-2012 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35385597)
They're talking about this on Radio 2 right now, saying that water from Wales ought to be sent to the drought areas in England. The English callers who are in favour of the idea are saying there are no regions in the UK, instead we are a 'united country'. Funny they should have that view now that England needs something from us.

It's not such a bad idea really providing you lot pay for it, our free prescriptions need to be funded somehow ;)

Free perscriptions for water not a bad deal IMO.:D

Maggy 21-02-2012 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35385597)

I thought most of the water in the Brecon Hills reservoirs was used by the Midlands anyway?:confused: