Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Anonymous Caller Rejection (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33675950)

Hector's House 17-03-2011 20:58

Anonymous Caller Rejection

I'm supposed to have this phone extra for quite some time yet tonight and last night i've had calls where the caller witheld their number. Having just read the thread about caller display and it not being available in some areas I was wondering if this is the case with Anon Caller Rejection too? I'm in PE6 and if this is the case VM owe me some money and a big apology.

v0id 17-03-2011 21:36

Re: Anonymous Caller Rejection

Did the automated voice on '1471' actually say the caller withheld their number or just that they don't have the number

arcimedes 17-03-2011 21:42

On my phone if the number is not present it will say unavailable or the display will be blank otherwise it will say WITHHELD.

Some callers cheat as I have seen numbers like 000000. I dont know whether that gets round ACR

Hector's House 18-03-2011 05:03

1471 said the caller witheld their number

Peter_ 18-03-2011 05:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hector's House (Post 35194839)
1471 said the caller witheld their number

Some companies are able to do this and the is nothing that Virginmedia or BT can do about it.

Hector's House 18-03-2011 05:59

Oh I see, thanks

Peter_ 18-03-2011 06:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hector's House (Post 35194841)
Oh I see, thanks

I have had them myself when I used to have anonymous caller rejection on my account, when you ring 1471 you get a message that you were called and the caller left no number or similar.

weesteev 18-03-2011 09:31

ACR will only block calls that originate from a switch that is blocking the number (I.E permanent number withhold or 141), whereas a circuit or switch that doesn't have a valid number (or no number at all) will still get through ACR. This system is in place on the emergency services switchboard to allow their calls to get through any barring restrictions but unfortunately this method is spreading into the world of sales!

Silent Call Guard is another good free option in the fight against silent calls...

http://www.ukdatait.co.uk/cgi-bin/sgAddNumber.cgi

And if you want to spend some pennys then I have heard good things about their hardware based call blocker service...

http://www.callblocker.co.uk/

HTH

whitewineandsoda 19-03-2011 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hector's House (Post 35194688)
I'm supposed to have this phone extra for quite some time yet tonight and last night i've had calls where the caller witheld their number. Having just read the thread about caller display and it not being available in some areas I was wondering if this is the case with Anon Caller Rejection too? I'm in PE6 and if this is the case VM owe me some money and a big apology.

I don't pay for ACR, never have done. Does it depend on what package you are on?

Peter_ 19-03-2011 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitewineandsoda (Post 35195721)
I don't pay for ACR, never have done. Does it depend on what package you are on?

No you have to pay for it regardless of package.

whitewineandsoda 19-03-2011 18:26

Thanks for the peply Masque, I've had it for a few years and never been charged, just checked my bill and there's nothing on there.I seem to remember I just put a code no in to get it, but not sure.

Peter_ 19-03-2011 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitewineandsoda (Post 35195750)
Thanks for the peply Masque, I've had it for a few years and never been charged, just checked my bill and there's nothing on there.I seem to remember I just put a code no in to get it, but not sure.

I remember from either early in this thread or another thread than some franchises at one point gave it for free but if you cancelled it and some time later reordered it you would be charged for it.

whitewineandsoda 20-03-2011 11:50

Thanks for the reply Masque, I won't cancel it then, lol.

Blackened 20-03-2011 12:25

The codes I use for Anonymous Call Rejection are:

*227# to activate
#227# to deactivate
*#227# to check if operational

Worth mentiong ACR only blocks calls that are 'withheld' and not calls that are 'unavailable' and I believe these codes don't work on all VM phones - perhaps something like ex C&W exchanges or something equally technical like that ;)
It is free of charge for me and always has been. I turn it on and off all the time, depending on circumstances.

whitewineandsoda 20-03-2011 12:44

Blackened, they are the same codes I use, except the one to check if it's operational, didn't know about that one so thanks.....:)