Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Universal Credit (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698667)

Anonymouse 29-08-2014 15:52

Universal Credit

I thought I'd start a thread for this and my fellow UC sufferers.

I have, finally, received my first payment, so I'm going to pay a visit to my landlord, Bolton At Home, and give 'em the good news that I can finally pay them some rent. I think I'm about 7 weeks behind - 1 week I was in work at Martin-Brower, the second week I was out of work but didn't know it and so didn't make the claim until I found out I'd been dismissed, then the 5 weeks waiting on the DWP to admit I was entitled to UC. The average time, apparently, is nine weeks.

The month of austerity is finally over! I'm not overdrawn any more! I can start having regular hot meals again! :p:

Having said all that, I had an interview in Crewe yesterday (and yes, I did manage to reclaim the travelling expenses!), which went so well they've invited me to take an FLT assessment on Monday - if I pass that, I've got the job and I can kick all this UC nonsense in the head. If not, well, I'll be back to it on Tuesday (it'll likely take me so long to get back from Crewe I won't have time to do more than drop in at the jobcentre and tell 'em I've got a job, if I get it).

So c'mon, share your tales of woe!

denphone 29-08-2014 16:20

Re: Universal Credit

It has only been smallscale so far and from l have heard and read it is beset with problems.

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/...er-1000-years/

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ac-accuses-dwp

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08...vent_scrutiny/

Anonymouse 01-09-2014 17:34

'Beset' with problems? It is a problem. The entire approach is wrong. The jobcentre staff are now utterly useless; if you want to do anything, it's either go online or call the 0345 number - the whole system has essentially gone faceless. Even claiming for travelling expenses is needlessly complicated - instead of just going to a desk and buttonholing anyone who isn't with a "customer" (God, I hate being called that by those nonentities!), giving them your NI number and evidence that you've got an interview, you've got to make an appointment first - and the only way to do that is to phone them.

Even then you don't get through to a person - instead of a menu system, they've got this stupid voice recognition system to direct your call...and if you can't figure out exactly what to say, or if it can't understand you, you're screwed - and paying to be screwed, at that!

Oh, you can go to a UCAN centre to make the call, but from what the staff have told me, they're not going to last much longer either - the fact that housing benefit is now paid to the claimant rather than directly to the landlord/local authority means they're losing revenue, and hence funding. They may end up closing. I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Why the government, to use the term very loosely, thinks it's better to pay housing benefit to the claimant is unclear. I can only assume they're saving money on admin by doing away with housing benefit. In other words, it benefits them, not us.

In the jobcentre, you've got Group 4 pretending to earn their keep by not letting anyone upstairs unless they've got an appointment. You can't even stay in the jobcentre if you don't have an appointment or you're not looking for a job - anyone just waiting for a relative/friend has to wait outside...even if it's raining.

As for that weird mutant version of IE11 they've got running...well, it has improved slightly: there are now two navigation buttons, Forward and Back.

Stop laughing. It really is an improvement. :p:

MalteseFalcon 01-09-2014 19:34

I agree with the waiting side of things, they take up seats meant for claimants. And majority of them have pushchairs with very ill behaved children so you cannot hear names being called. Security staff in my local JC are nice, they always chat to everyone and very rarely have I seen them have to remove anyone from the JC.

Arthurgray50@blu 01-09-2014 21:25

I feel very sorry for thos people that are on this evil tax, brought on by a government that does not give a damn about those people looking for a job.

It just makes me angry that some members on this forum, believe that the Tory party is trying to make things better.
Well they are not.

UC is by far the worst decision this government has said is going to make things easier - tosh.

I know many people that are on it, and are sick to the backteeth,. And l feel sorry for them Its possible its not there fault for going onto state benefit.

Hugh 01-09-2014 21:45

It's a consolidated benefit, not a tax....

Mr Angry 01-09-2014 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35725888)
It's a consolidated benefit, not a tax....

Stop. Talking. Sense.

MalteseFalcon 01-09-2014 21:56

A tax? The whole idea behind UC is that people get used to the idea that if they ever get into a job that they won't get paid in a job every week or fortnight. So in that sense it makes sense to get them used to that fact surely?

Arthurgray50@blu 01-09-2014 22:32

I might have descibe it as a 'tax', its a crippling benefit. That should be scrapped.

Its similar to the BT. But what this government is doing, is focing people to take pathetic low paid jobs, on zero hour contracts, just to get them off the benefit,.

I am soon to retire, but l will have to conitinue to work in some capacity, as l would not survive on the benefits or pension that this pathic government supply.

Sometimes l feel that this pathetic look after other countries, then there own people

Derek 02-09-2014 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35725900)
I might have descibe it as a 'tax', its a crippling benefit.

Damn this government. Giving out cash in benefits, how will people cope with that crippling effect of money being given to them.

It's not perfect but then neither was the system of a myriad of different benefits.

Maggy 02-09-2014 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35725944)
Damn this government. Giving out cash in benefits, how will people cope with that crippling effect of money being given to them. It's not perfect but then neither was the system of a myriad of different benefits.

Yes the last system wasn't perfect but replacing it with another that's no more perfect seems a waste of money as somewhere down the line TPTB will have to decide to change the system again. It's already long past it's supposed starting date and the kinks are still not ironed out.

techguyone 02-09-2014 11:39

I don't generally agree with Arthur but this bit
Quote:

But what this government is doing, is focing people to take pathetic low paid jobs, on zero hour contracts, just to get them off the benefit
is true, and I do hope in time that zero hour contracts etc are outlawed. IDS really does need taking out back and...

rhyds 02-09-2014 11:59

I do believe that zero hours contracts with exclusivity clauses should be illegal (if your tied to one employer, then they should be tied in to offering you regular work IMO).

However as a broader tool zero hours contracts (or what was known as casual work) do have a place in the world of work. For example my brother is a young actor, and sometimes needs a break from his work to do a show. He currently has two zero hours jobs that he can juggle as he sees fit, and as there's no minimum contracted hours he can take a week off without too much hassle.

Taf 02-09-2014 14:48

I'm actually looking forward to UC, as it's an accounting nightmare at the moment with payments for various benefits arriving on different days of the week, some weekly, some fortnightly and some every 28 days.

I would actually like to see DLA (soon to be PIP) and CA included in the UC list.

MsMoney ver1.0 saved my bacon.

RichardCoulter 16-03-2015 18:38

Well, staff are currently having a nightmare with CAMlight (the system used to process UC).

I think that the Government is simply pretending that this system is on track until the General Election is out of the way.

Arthurgray50@blu 17-03-2015 22:03

I think Zero Contracts is similar to Agency work. If you register with them - you don't get money unless you work for them.

UC is one of the worst benefit systems you get. Its a way that the JC are forcing people back into taking low paid jobs. It is basically taking people back to the days when, you had to queue outside a factory. And you were then chosen for the job, by the foreman.

All this rubbish from employers about if they paid high wages, they would go bust. Total rubbish. What they are saying, if we pay low wages, we wont make a profit.

I am not looking to retiring, l am due to retire in two years time. But wont. As l need to support my family, and l was told that OAP's pension is only £115 per week. How can you survive on that.

And then you apply for a job to back up a pension, only to be told 'you are over experienced' Ive been told several times that one

MalteseFalcon 17-03-2015 23:09

Find a place that needs a town crier, you should be excellent at the sort of job.

Sirius 18-03-2015 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35765507)
Find a place that needs a town crier, you should be excellent at the sort of job.

:tu:

Jayo 17-12-2015 13:42

I made a claim for universal credit as my old company closed trading. It is Dire to date I have had 3 letters off them , 1. First was to say we need more information.... So I called at expense to me and was told the computer automatically generates this letter and they did not need more info.
2. The second and 3. Third letter stated You ( meaning me) have changed details and this may effect your award, we will write to you to inform you of the outcome.
Considering you have to wait for 6 weeks for any sort of payment , and during this period are being informed your pitance may be reduced and or stopped, This is causing stress and undue worry. After my third phonecall I was then informed that I should Disregard the letters because they are generated when they process and update their systems. 3 letters that have had me in a panic, and still no award notice to date , yet I am finally due my payment in 4 days. This system is severely flawed, leaves you in debt everywhere, landlord, borrowings to survive etc.
And to the person or Persons who say what ya whinging at ya being given free money. I do hope you never loose your job, or that your children and or family never find themselves in a situation where they need such help. Also its not free money, I've paid into the welfare state all my life with Taxes etc. So wind ya necks in .Not everyone who requires benefits are as Chanel four or the government would have you believe. Just shows the ignorance of some people who would go through a registration process on a help forum to be a sarcastic sod. Obviously they have way too much time on their hand between benefits street and political propaganda.

mrmistoffelees 17-12-2015 13:45

Quote:

I might have descibe it as a 'tax', its a crippling benefit. That should be scrapped.

Its similar to the BT. But what this government is doing, is focing people to take pathetic low paid jobs, on zero hour contracts, just to get them off the benefit,.

I am soon to retire, but l will have to conitinue to work in some capacity, as l would not survive on the benefits or pension that this pathic government supply.

Sometimes l feel that this pathetic look after other countries, then there own people

Get a better job so you can contribute more in NI & Tax
Get a second job
Pay into a private pension to supplement your state pension.

It's not rocket science is it?

Jayo 17-12-2015 13:59

The Ignorance. Get a better job , like its just that simple, not everyone is highly paid and already have to budget from week to week and decide what they are going to do without. So how therefore can they pay into a private pension scheme , and do you not remember how many people who have lost from private pension schemes that have gone under. Get a second job ! Lol the guy/gal just said they are reaching retirement age fgs . I was in the job center yesterday with my mentor {yes that's what they are called nowadays... Advisor} who informed me that in two weeks since I have attended their are no new jobs for me. In two weeks. I think you need to take a long hard look at the facts and show some respect. Your basically attacking someone who is nearing pension age. Ignorant at best .

mrmistoffelees 17-12-2015 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayo (Post 35813220)
The Ignorance. Get a better job , like its just that simple, not everyone is highly paid and already have to budget from week to week and decide what they are going to do without. So how therefore can they pay into a private pension scheme , and do you not remember how many people who have lost from private pension schemes that have gone under. Get a second job ! Lol the guy/gal just said they are reaching retirement age fgs . I was in the job center yesterday with my mentor {yes that's what they are called nowadays... Advisor} who informed me that in two weeks since I have attended their are no new jobs for me. In two weeks. I think you need to take a long hard look at the facts and show some respect. Your basically attacking someone who is nearing pension age. Ignorant at best .

It's not ignorance it's a simple fact.

I live in one of the most deprived areas of the country (Middlesbrough) where the average salary is way below the UK national average. I started off right at the very bottom when I was a kid and grafted my arse off. When my mates were out on the beer I was studying. I'm now in a situation that whilst i do a four hour return commute each day I earn a decent salary, and I already save and invest for my retirement.

A good friend of my mine is european director of a global software company, fifteen years ago he was a homeless alcoholic and he bust his guts to get where he is

Im attacking the post which insinuates that the government or society owes them everything, is the job centre the only place to look to find a job? No of course it isn't

We aren't owed a single thing and we have to make our own chances in life. yours and the post I quoted are systematically evident of the proportion of our society who think they're owed everything

There are companies who are actively recruiting people near or past retirement age due to their knowledge and experience !!

Jayo 17-12-2015 15:06

Well done to you and your friends, I served in the British army and have had no higher than managerial position since leaving the armed forces, its not down to just "grafting your ass off" It is to what's available and circumstance also if as obv. Happened with you the correct person in interviews see's your potential. I have grafted my ass off all my life and will continue to do so , and these companies that actively recruit older people because of their Experience are few and far between nowadays its not 1990 anymore since the governments initiative scheme for employers ended ( to recruit older people) many of your so called companies that actively recruit older people have stopped doing so because they can get 3 18 year old college students for the same minimum wage they can get someone over the age of 25 {25 for minimum wage highest rate} as taking on older folk (over say 55)may be more expensive and counter productive due to work limitations such as heavy lifting etc. Its quite folly to say get a better job , when most work is at minimum wage nowadays and just who is going to invest 3 maybe 4 years into someone of the age of 60 to get them a higher salary ? Nobody that's who. Your also saying someone of 60 or more should do full time employment. At minimum wage then get another job ontop without knowing personal circumstances such as maybe also only carer for their spouse or partner, their in lies the ignorance. I congratulate you on working hard and getting the job you wanted and the salary you deserve, to your friend also who turned his life around. But you are neglecting to take in personal circumstance and are folly to believe that because you and One of your friends managed to do this then Everyone can. If you did some research you would see that even though this figure of 2.2 million unemployed being bandied about by our government it is actually propaganda, due to the sanctions and disallowances by the welfare scheme and the amount of people who are in work and having to use schemes such as food banks and the likes is near the 4million mark, but they wouldn't want that on the news. I am just saying someone nearing retirement after having paid into the welfare scheme for most if not all of their working life Are due something. That's why they payed in , in the first place. Not everything is black and white

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Paid # sorry autocorrect.

mrmistoffelees 17-12-2015 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayo (Post 35813230)
Well done to you and your friends, I served in the British army and have had no higher than managerial position since leaving the armed forces, its not down to just "grafting your ass off" It is to what's available and circumstance also if as obv. Happened with you the correct person in interviews see's your potential. I have grafted my ass off all my life and will continue to do so , and these companies that actively recruit older people because of their Experience are few and far between nowadays its not 1990 anymore since the governments initiative scheme for employers ended ( to recruit older people) many of your so called companies that actively recruit older people have stopped doing so because they can get 3 18 year old college students for the same minimum wage they can get someone over the age of 25 as taking on older folk may be more expensive and counter productive due to work limitations such as heavy lifting etc. Its quite folly to say get a better job , when most work is at minimum wage nowadays and just who is going to invest 3 maybe 4 years into someone of the age of 60 to get them a higher salary ? Nobody that's who. Your also saying someone of 60 or more should do full time employment. At minimum wage then get another job ontop without knowing personal circumstances such as maybe also only carer for their spouse or partner, their in lies the ignorance. I congratulate you on working hard and getting the job you wanted and the salary you deserve, to your friend also who turned his life around. But you are neglecting to take in personal circumstance and are folly to believe that because you and One of your friends managed to do this then Everyone can. If you did some research you would see that even though this figure of 2.2 million unemployed being bandied about by our government it is actually propaganda, due to the sanctions and disallowances by the welfare scheme and the amount of people who are in work and having to use schemes such as food banks and the likes is near the 4million mark, but they wouldn't want that on the news. I am just saying someone nearing retirement after having paid into the welfare scheme for most if not all of their working life Are due something. That's why they played in , in the first place. Not everything is black and white

My brother in law served in the forces (a sapper IIRC) who did two tours in the gulf and i think did one in AG but not sure.

He came out of the army and basically dossed about sleeping at members of families houses. For him life changed when he met his now wife. It spurred him on to improve himself and now he has a career on the rigs as a lead electrician.

He also lives in Boro.....

We dont pay NI etc for our future, we're paying it in to support those currently receiving the state pension and/or other. The people who will be paying for your or my state pension more than likely haven't been born yet !!

Why is that not everyone can do it? What is stopping them? (This isn't having a go I'm genuinely interested to see your response)

Jayo 17-12-2015 16:09

As I stated before personal circumstance, the right person seeing potential, the face fits, association with higher ranking individuals , their are many factors , Also happy to hear about a former comrade who served then slumbered , but then turned his life around ( always good to here , positivity ) I am pretty sure their will be no state pension by the time You and I reach retirement age ,( I am making an assumption you are below say 45yrs old. ) apologies! Many many people who have worked their entire life on minimum age or lower end wages and never claimed a penny have probably came across a manager or senior worker who did not have the experience nor the knowledge of their job and pondered why they themselves are not in that position. Its about The breaks as much as hard work and commitment. I have previously had to employ lesser suited people for vacancies due to My Brief given by my Seniors , For instance I had to turn down a Gentleman with 15 years of experience in retail and customer service because even though the vacancy posted salery at £9500- £15,000 depending on experience, I was told to find a suitable candidate at the lowest end of the scale. Even though the recruit would be working in my store and under my guidance I had to take on someone of lesser experience because of the money factor. The old adage (brown stuff rolls downhill) seems to still apply these days. True their are many shylarks and benefit scroungers about. And this should not at all be tolerated, maybe a system such as Germany has in place would be more productive, cost affective to the country, whereby if you or I should need some sort of welfare state that you are paid at your previous salary for a year and one year only, then you cannot receive any more benefits or state help if you are fit and able for work. This would certainly stop the layabouts and scroungers. As they would have had to have meaningful employment. I am not saying it would be perfect .... But surely better than what was in place and much more reasonable for the unfortunate. :) Have a great day and wish me some luck. Off for an Interview.

mrmistoffelees 17-12-2015 18:08

The very best of luck I hope it went well !!!

Linnie 30-07-2016 22:24

I have always worked though became unemployed as my temp contract ended I had to start claiming UC I then received a small part of my usual wage £386 as you have to wait at least 5 weeks for a UC payment this last wage helped me buy food and pay for gas & electric and have cash for my phone and attend interviews for the next 5 weeks. I tried to phone the UC on the 0345 number and could not ever get through I then went to see my US (Advisor) who does not Advise you of anything he just sits there slowly typing on his pc I then used the job centres phone and got through to the 0345 number within a minute? and was told that they had been back logged fair enough and a payment was on its way to me though UC would be Deducting from my last wage an amount of of £319 which would only leave me with £67 to do me for a further month I do not care what anyone says I worked hard for that last wage and UC had no right to take it I also had the run around to claim rent as the Advisor sent me twice to the wrong places and then had to go back to Main Housing as they were requesting a UC letter as proof? a letter that I hadnt yet received due to back log! More cash used for bus fares as too far away to walk. This UC Benefit paid monthly is not to Benefit us who are genuine and looking for work every day its designed to make claimants Miserable as possible and you just keep Hitting a Wall of Silence?
I asked my Advisor what do I do if I get a new job say for example on Monday and I can not keep trying to get through to UC 0345 to tell them when I would be too busy in work he replied eh oh just keep trying to phone UC or pop in to job centre! eh? how can I pop in if im in work? there should be an email address to make it easier to contact them if you start a new job aw well hope I get a new job fast and get to keep my sanity & good luck to all UC Claimants!

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

No I do not agree with your comment or all the Smug people out there who are blinded by this Greedy Government! The reason the UC would rather pay claimants monthly except for the first 7 days lol is to Benefit them and not the Claimant it saves them Administration costs ect and makes Claimants Suffer Hardship for Longer nothing to do with the world of work where you get paid monthly also the little amount you receive from UC Benefit is not even enough to cover you for a month unlike a wage even then the wages are not as high for doing the same job as before I know this as I have always worked also UC would rather pay Claimants Housing Benefits Direct rather than to Landlords this may be another save on Admin ect or test a Desperate Claimant who could be tempted to spend some of their Rent Payment then be evicted from property not that the UC usualy PAYS Full Rent anyway lol its Shocking how others Judge unfortunate genuine hard up job seeking people of this totally unfair World Ruled by GreedySmug idiots.

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

I used to find that if you took say a 3 or 6 month temp contract job then your Employer would normally if you were a hard worker give you a Perm Contract.

What I am seeing is that Employers have got on the Bandwagon of Hire 17yr olds as the pay them less and sugar coat it and call it an Apprenticeship more like an excuse to pay a 17 year old a very low wage!
Ive worked next to 17yr olds and its unfair that they do the same hard work as a 25 year old or older and yet get alot less! Yes they are getting the experience on their CV THOUGH They dont all have their parents to help them with living costs as their parents could be on Benefits or low paid jobs themselves.

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

I must be seeming too Desperate to Employers at Job interviews as I am Desperate due to being Unemployed and on Universal Crap Credit and so far ive coped and now as more time goes by Im Totally Desperate to get Employed I get up at 5.30am or 6am every morning and start searching for a new Job and ive not got one yet I have been for an interview on Friday
I so hope I get that Job!

Arthurgray50@blu 30-07-2016 23:57

Lets get one thing straight. I have been Unemployed three times in my life. I am 64 now and am NOT looking to retiring.

My pension will be crap fro the Government.

When k was unemployed, l was given rubbish work from the JC, my benefit was very poor.well below the poverty line.

I done everything possible to get a job. I was told that l had to WALK ten miles to find a job.

I lost a job THREE times, when the JC, told me to sign on. when l had interviews for a job. At the same time. the JC insisted that l had to sign on at my correct time or lose benefit.

The insulting thing was was. I had FIVE letters fir interviews in ONE WEEK. They told me that l was not trying hard enough.

You are just a number, to them.

I sat for hours on the A4 near where l live. Contacted companies each day.

Luckily l found a job, where l am still employed for the past five years. Threatened with redundancies due to the Conservative Cuts TWICE.

But now just working out my last two years.

Paul 31-07-2016 03:36

Quote:

... its a crippling benefit.

LOL, I almost choked on my drink as I read that.

Please do tell how giving people free money, for doing nothing, is "crippling" ?

martyh 31-07-2016 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse (Post 35725824)
Why the government, to use the term very loosely, thinks it's better to pay housing benefit to the claimant is unclear. I can only assume they're saving money on admin by doing away with housing benefit. In other words, it benefits them, not us.[/FONT]

It's always been the case that the money you get is yours to do with as you will ,a claimant has always had the option to either get the money in full or have rent money paid directly to a landlord (even in private rents) .It has always been considered normal practice to pay council tenants directly because the HB came from the council and went to the council in rent so it took minimal administration .Nowadays it's different because most LA's use private housing companies to manage stock and there are a lot more private tenants .Also it gives tenants more control over the landlord should there be issues with quality of housing.

My son claimed UC for about 3 weeks at the start of the year (signed off in 1st week of feb),he got a job and 2 monthly pay checks before he got any money and last week he got a letter stating that his change of circumstances meant he wouldn't get any more money he phoned up to query it and was told "we are a bit behind" :rolleyes::D

---------- Post added at 08:44 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayo (Post 35813214)
This system is severely flawed, leaves you in debt everywhere, landlord, borrowings to survive etc.

Have to say the new system does seem to move as fast as continental drift ,but as far as housing benefit is concerned that has always taken about 6-8 weeks to get going so no change there

Linnie 02-09-2016 19:28

Hi I have just found out from my Landlord that when he applied for my Rent from UC to be paid directly to him they have not paid any rent for the last couple of months and now he has threatened to Evict me yet by his own mistake he gave them the incorrect NI number for me if he had just let me deal with it all I would have kept on top of what was going on with rent payments. After spending one day and a half getting through to Glasgow City Housing they have told me that I should phone DWP as my rent should have been paid by UC YET when I spoke to my UC Advisor two days before he stated that he UC has nothing to do with my rent payments Im so Confused as to who pays what and to Who?

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

I think that UC should be Scrapped and it should go back to the Benefit system before that was not without flaws though at least the Housing Benefit was more straight forward and you didnt end up Homeless as it seems UC Advisors do not know enough about their job or how to Advice I am not only jobless and doing my best to find work im now under pressure to sort out why ive not been paid rent yet ive been paid UC and now I have a Court Date for Rent Arrears? I thought it would be straight forward I was made redundant and could claim this Hardship UC till I found a new job now im in Big Trouble with Landlord and I could loose my House that I have stayed in for over 20 years I have been paying Tax for years yet when I need help I get hassle I have to fill out on DWP Gateway daily what I do to find work I feel like putting a message on there to state that if your Benefit system UC was more short term user friendly then I could spent more time and energy seeking work rather than on the phone to sort out a mess that could make me Homeless.

TheDaddy 02-09-2016 20:13

You should speak to citizens advice and your mp linnie, this universal credit malarkey seems like a monumental pain in the backside

nomadking 02-09-2016 20:25

Councils are not responsible for the housing costs element of UC. What does your UC online account say?

Linnie 02-09-2016 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35857460)
You should speak to citizens advice and your mp linnie, this universal credit malarkey seems like a monumental pain in the backside

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Hi and Thanks for your Advice I will go to CAB on Tuesday Morn I did everything I was to do when I went to Job Centre to reg for UC and gave my Tenancy Agreement then told to go to The Glasgow Housing to Claim Housing Benefit I then went there and thought that was it simple went online and reg for claim with them then I took my UC letter to them which was delayed due to a back log My Bully Landlord stated when I let him know that I was claiming UC he would deal with any rent payment going direct to him as if I would not pay it to him? well he seems to have messed up and now im sitting here with a hand delivered Court Letter? I finally got through to The Glasgow City Housing and was told that the rent should have been paid to me with my UC which it hasnt been I felt like crying with frustration as I came off the phone no wiser? its A MINE FIELD everyone should make sure they get all facts at the start of claiming as its a Blame Game Do not just sit infront of a UC Advisor and let them fool you into a False Security they either have not got a Clue themselves or are Avoiding the facts that UC is No use to a Claimant.

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

I am going to now have to get into Debt from some source to try to pay my Rent Arrears before my Court Date so that I am not Homeless and on the streets and also this Court letter will maybe effect me getting a job as I have just been for interviews and a Credit Check is what future Employers and Agencies do and this will depend on me passing a Credit Check and getting a new job? I do hope that I am the only person that is having this really Bad UC experience as I feel Defeated before ive even had a chance to get a new job.

Hugh 02-09-2016 21:29

You may find this helpful...

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_a..._to_a_landlord

Linnie 02-09-2016 21:36

I went to a Employment Agency this morning and found myself Signing an Agreement that I would work not 37.5hrs or even 40hrs I would work 48rs per week and any overtime I just thought I will agree to any hrs as long as I get a job and this is a new thing with Agencies and then went home to find a letter from my Landlord to evict me for UC not paying any rent this world is effed up the people who try to over come and push themselves to achieve the impossible and try even under bad circumstances seem to get nowhere yet others can come to this Country and get more done for them?

nomadking 02-09-2016 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linnie (Post 35857472)

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Hi and Thanks for your Advice I will go to CAB on Tuesday Morn I did everything I was to do when I went to Job Centre to reg for UC and gave my Tenancy Agreement then told to go to The Glasgow Housing to Claim Housing Benefit I then went there and thought that was it simple went online and reg for claim with them then I took my UC letter to them which was delayed due to a back log My Bully Landlord stated when I let him know that I was claiming UC he would deal with any rent payment going direct to him as if I would not pay it to him? well he seems to have messed up and now im sitting here with a hand delivered Court Letter? I finally got through to The Glasgow City Housing and was told that the rent should have been paid to me with my UC which it hasnt been I felt like crying with frustration as I came off the phone no wiser? its A MINE FIELD everyone should make sure they get all facts at the start of claiming as its a Blame Game Do not just sit infront of a UC Advisor and let them fool you into a False Security they either have not got a Clue themselves or are Avoiding the facts that UC is No use to a Claimant.

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

I am going to now have to get into Debt from some source to try to pay my Rent Arrears before my Court Date so that I am not Homeless and on the streets and also this Court letter will maybe effect me getting a job as I have just been for interviews and a Credit Check is what future Employers and Agencies do and this will depend on me passing a Credit Check and getting a new job? I do hope that I am the only person that is having this really Bad UC experience as I feel Defeated before ive even had a chance to get a new job.

Hand delivered Court letter? A section 21 and/or section 33 letter maybe.

The landlord wouldn't be able to have direct payment until you were 2 months behind.
CAB
Quote:

If you’re 2 months or more behind on your rent, your landlord can ask for some of your regular payment to cover your rent arrears. Your landlord will have been told that you’re getting Universal Credit when you apply.
Not sure it's anything specific to UC.

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35857480)

That's the England section. Need to click on the Scotland link at top right of page.

wantowork 02-03-2017 14:47

Hi! New to this forum and in desperate situation. Just wrote story of my life and lost it. So - this is in short! Lost my job 3 months ago. I rent double room in flatshare. My landlord was adamant if I claim benefits I should move out. I am entitled to benefits - so while frantically applying for jobs, was looking high and low to rent DSS (sgl/dbl room, London), came across fraud and lewd offers. Finally found someone keen to help. They offered to present their own rent agreement - and I would say that I am staying there as friend on agreement to contribute 1/3 of the rent. I need to fill the UC asap. It starts from the postcode. I was told the application processing takes 4-6 weeks :shocked:. If I give new address - and this paperwork version is not sufficient, potentially I may not get housing benefit - and potentially will become homeless. I cannot claim under that address while living here to see what happens. Here I need to give 1 weeks notice - but the landlord is getting nervous and would love me to move out. I seriously don't want to get into situation where I am staying because the landlord by law cannot chuck me out on the street but I am running out of money. Any experience what documents are required in terms of proving rent? Many thanks

Taf 02-03-2017 15:15

The landlord can't kick you out for being on benefits AFAIK... talk to the council housing people or CAB.

As for paying rent as a visiting friend, don't, just don't. It could cause their landlord to jump up and down a lot and scream "over occupancy" and "subletting" both of which could void the contract.

Housing Benefit rules are mad, especially if you are male and under 35, so get advice ASAP.

Wendizzle50 08-11-2017 23:02

I have lost hope in UC. I used to receive £130 a week in working and child tax credit. I was told the amount I got would transcend over to UC....well I can say it clearly hasnt, I now get on average £220 a month, plus I have to pay a third of my rent. My hours and wage did not change and no one can give me a reason for the huge drop in the amount.
I don't expect state hand outs, I wanted to work and pay my way. Tax credits made this possible.....I am a self employed cleaner and work bloody hard. I'm now struggling so badly to keep my head above water, after I've paid rent, electricity etc etc I have £32 to buy food. As yet I haven't been able to put money on my prepay gas card so my house is very cold. I can't buy clothes or shoes for my son and as far as Christmas goes it's not happening, some days I have no money for his school lunches and can't even get free dinners.
I was told by one employee at uc the amount is correct, I asked him to explain how and he replied if that's the amount it says that's what you are due....well that's helpful.
I know most people have taken a drop in the amount received but I know no one who has as bigger drop as me. I don't know who to go to for help
My rent office said more people are in rent arrears since uc came in then ever before.
The whole system isn't working and government just doesn't care

TheDaddy 08-11-2017 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendizzle50 (Post 35923955)
I have lost hope in UC. I used to receive £130 a week in working and child tax credit. I was told the amount I got would transcend over to UC....well I can say it clearly hasnt, I now get on average £220 a month, plus I have to pay a third of my rent. My hours and wage did not change and no one can give me a reason for the huge drop in the amount.
I don't expect state hand outs, I wanted to work and pay my way. Tax credits made this possible.....I am a self employed cleaner and work bloody hard. I'm now struggling so badly to keep my head above water, after I've paid rent, electricity etc etc I have £32 to buy food. As yet I haven't been able to put money on my prepay gas card so my house is very cold. I can't buy clothes or shoes for my son and as far as Christmas goes it's not happening, some days I have no money for his school lunches and can't even get free dinners.
I was told by one employee at uc the amount is correct, I asked him to explain how and he replied if that's the amount it says that's what you are due....well that's helpful.
I know most people have taken a drop in the amount received but I know no one who has as bigger drop as me. I don't know who to go to for help
My rent office said more people are in rent arrears since uc came in then ever before.

Sorry to hear all your troubles, have you tried citizens advice or these guys

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...iversal-credit

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...versal-credit/

weenie 09-11-2017 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendizzle50 (Post 35923955)

I'm sorry I don't know enough about this benefit but if you live in Scotland go to your local Money Matters if not I would agree with TD and seek advice from your local CAB office or Turn to Us.

I hope things improve for you and your family soon :hugs:

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/

papa smurf 16-11-2017 16:01

here is a local story regarding u-c

Gap Property director defends eviction notices saying 'we had no other choice'
Guy Piggott, director of Gap Property Grimsby says that the intention of the notices was to warn tenants to prepare for benefit changes

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/ne...viction-781838

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/ne...ite-lot-782419

this was discussed during pmq's on wednesday

nomadking 16-11-2017 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35925253)
here is a local story regarding u-c

Gap Property director defends eviction notices saying 'we had no other choice'
Guy Piggott, director of Gap Property Grimsby says that the intention of the notices was to warn tenants to prepare for benefit changes

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/ne...viction-781838

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/ne...ite-lot-782419

this was discussed during pmq's on wednesday

Doesn't look like a proper Section 21 Notice to Quit letter, so it's a load of scaremongering nonsense. The 6 week delay is only for NEW claimants, who will stll have their wages etc which would be expected to cover around a month of those 6 weeks.
Quote:

The new service is set to be introduced in Grimsby from mid-December for first time claimants as it is brought in in stages throughout the country, with those who are currently receiving other benefits being gradually moved on to the service by 2019.
Those currently on benefits WON'T be affected for the moment.

papa smurf 16-11-2017 17:21

The PM's on the case

Prime Minister to investigate letter sent to Grimsby tenants threatening eviction over Universal Credit delays
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn raised the issue with the Prime Minister Theresa May in Parliament

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/ne...er-sent-780658

denphone 06-01-2019 05:57

Threat of revolt forces rethink of Universal Credit.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ut-pilot-study

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46772901

Quote:

The roll-out of the government’s flagship welfare programme is to be overhauled amid dire warnings about its impact on the vulnerable, the Observer understands.
Quote:

Frank Field, chairman of the work and pensions select committee, which has raised a series of concerns about universal credit, said: “The government seems finally to have woken up to the human catastrophe that was waiting to happen under its ill-formed plans for moving people on to universal credit.”
Quote:

The limited pilot paves the way for the process to be further slowed should problems emerge. She has already told MPs that she will not rush to meet arbitrary timetables. The process, which is already six and a half years behind its original schedule, is due to be completed by the end of 2023.

Maggy 06-01-2019 09:14

UC is a possibly great idea ruined by poor decision making and a lack of oversight and foresight. This does seem to be a recurring situation with this government/civil service. If only they could make themselves abandon using proven poor working organisations like Crapita and GS4 and look for better alternatives and using better oversight to pick good companies. The recent ferry company choice for Brexit doesn't point to this changing any time soon.

Mr K 06-01-2019 09:47

Watched ' I, Daniel Blake' yesterday. Bloody depressing, but more so since it reflects reality. There is a massive loophole of people who fall through the net, can't fill forms, no fixed abode and can't claim benefits. The number of homeless dieing increasing is a national scandal in this day and age.

denphone 06-01-2019 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35977974)
UC is a possibly great idea ruined by poor decision making and a lack of oversight and foresight. This does seem to be a recurring situation with this government/civil service. If only they could make themselves abandon using proven poor working organisations like Crapita and GS4 and look for better alternatives and using better oversight to pick good companies. The recent ferry company choice for Brexit doesn't point to this changing any time soon.

The sad thing is they are awarding more contracts to these type of companies then before.

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 ----------

Quote:

No due diligence done and they copied and pasted its website T&Cs from a takeaway company.:rolleyes:

techguyone 06-01-2019 11:24

The 2 biggest problems seem to revolve around the payment of rent to the claimant direct rather than to the landlord (madness) and the arbitrarily 6? 4? week enforced 'waiting time' at the start, what's that all about? Is it needed, how are people with little/no savings supposed to to go without any funds for that time period without any consequence, struggling to understand why that decision was made.

Angua 06-01-2019 11:41

Quote:

One of the biggest problems was using UC in an attempt to cut the number of claimants. Rather than looking at all the different benefits and ensuring they has a single claim point first, then streamlining the benefits thereafter.

So now people in supported housing still claim HB, where others claim the housing element of UC.

nomadking 06-01-2019 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35977985)
The 2 biggest problems seem to revolve around the payment of rent to the claimant direct rather than to the landlord (madness) and the arbitrarily 6? 4? week enforced 'waiting time' at the start, what's that all about? Is it needed, how are people with little/no savings supposed to to go without any funds for that time period without any consequence, struggling to understand why that decision was made.

For many people rent was always paid direct to the claimant/tenant. No different to the situation they would be in if they were working.

Where people are moving from being employed and paid monthly to being on benefits, then they will usually have a months worth of money, either in their pocket or yet to come. Nothing that new in there being a delay.

A central problem is that people are too unwilling to do any budgeting and if they have £1 in their pocket they will spend it, rather than consider that they might need it next week. An example is where rent is paid out weekly, but UC payments are monthly. There is a mismatch between money having to go out and money for rent coming in.

The idea of a single working-age benefit was put forward in a DWP report from 2009.

techguyone 06-01-2019 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35978012)
For many people rent was always paid direct to the claimant/tenant. No different to the situation they would be in if they were working.

Where people are moving from being employed and paid monthly to being on benefits, then they will usually have a months worth of money, either in their pocket or yet to come. Nothing that new in there being a delay.

A central problem is that people are too unwilling to do any budgeting and if they have £1 in their pocket they will spend it, rather than consider that they might need it next week. An example is where rent is paid out weekly, but UC payments are monthly. There is a mismatch between money having to go out and money for rent coming in.

The idea of a single working-age benefit was put forward in a DWP report from 2009.

According to what you posted then, UC is absolutely fine and there's zero issues with it then.... Clearly not.

nomadking 06-01-2019 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35978015)
According to what you posted then, UC is absolutely fine and there's zero issues with it then.... Clearly not.

It's a matter of putting things in the proper perspective. As I pointed out many people have ALWAYS received housing benefit money directly, so not a new issue and is unrelated to UC. The increase in the number of people getting direct payments started in 2008 under Labour.

The weekly rent with monthly benefit situation means that they have to keep aside a bit of the monthly payment to pay for the 5th week rent payment that occurs in certain months. No different to being in a monthly paid job.That is the rationale behind monthly payments.

Perhaps there needs to be a faster initial assessment where it can quickly be determined that they are entitled to some money, but the exact amount will take longer to establish. That could mean a smaller amount could be paid out as once(or may still) existed with housing benefit, ie if the council took longer than 2 weeks, you received £50/week in the meantime.

RichardCoulter 06-01-2019 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35978017)
It's a matter of putting things in the proper perspective. As I pointed out many people have ALWAYS received housing benefit money directly, so not a new issue and is unrelated to UC. The increase in the number of people getting direct payments started in 2008 under Labour.

The weekly rent with monthly benefit situation means that they have to keep aside a bit of the monthly payment to pay for the 5th week rent payment that occurs in certain months. No different to being in a monthly paid job.That is the rationale behind monthly payments.

Perhaps there needs to be a faster initial assessment where it can quickly be determined that they are entitled to some money, but the exact amount will take longer to establish. That could mean a smaller amount could be paid out as once(or may still) existed with housing benefit, ie if the council took longer than 2 weeks, you received £50/week in the meantime.

What was done by Labour in 2008 to increase more payments direct to claimants? :confused:

Under HB the claimant had the choice of who the money went to, under UC it's paid to the claimant regardless (unless they are over 8 weeks in arrears). The old system was better as claimants with finely tuned budgets or who have difficulties budgeting for whatever reason, could have their rent paid directly to the landlord to prevent arrears building up.

Under HB there has always been provision to make a 'payment on account' for private and housing association tenants whilst the claim is properly assessed.

nomadking 06-01-2019 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35978038)
What was done by Labour in 2008 to increase more payments direct to claimants? :confused:

Under HB the claimant had the choice of who the money went to, under UC it's paid to the claimant regardless (unless they are over 8 weeks in arrears). The old system was better as claimants with finely tuned budgets or who have difficulties budgeting for whatever reason, could have their rent paid directly to the landlord to prevent arrears building up.

Under HB there has always been provision to make a 'payment on account' for private and housing association tenants whilst the claim is properly assessed.

Parliamentary Briefing Paper May 2013
Quote:

The Labour Government piloted a new flat-rate Local Housing Allowance (LHA) based on area and family size in 9 local authorities from November 2003 (later rising to 18 authorities). Alongside this flat-rate allowance the Government required these pathfinder authorities to only pay HB direct to private landlords in certain limited cases. It had increasingly become the norm for landlords to require tenants claiming Housing Benefit (HB) to agree to the benefit being paid direct to them as a condition of granting a tenancy.
Subsequently the LHA was introduced for all new HB claimants in the deregulated private rented sector from 7 April 2008 – except in certain exceptional cases this benefit is paid direct to claimants. This move away from paying HB direct to landlords is controversial – a key concern of landlords is that it has resulted in increased rent arrears. Direct payments to claimants will continue when the Universal Credit is phased in (phasing is expected to begin in October 2013).
Being £10/week adrift might be a budgeting issue, but £100+/week isn't. They are all too often repeat offenders "stealing" the money instead. Otherwise people would quickly realise they have to do something about, but they don't.

HB was being paid direct to many claimants long before 2008 or 2003.

Shelter report Dec 2004
Quote:

It takes, on average, 33 working days to process a new Housing
Benefit claim. The worst-performing authorities take more than
100 working days, leading to rent arrears and evictions.
Quote:

In the nine original Pathfinder areas for the LHA scheme, 90 per cent of tenants now have Housing Benefit paid direct to them, compared
with 50 per cent before the scheme started.
Even before any introduction of LHA, 50% had HB paid direct to them.

Angua 06-01-2019 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35978067)
Parliamentary Briefing Paper May 2013
Being £10/week adrift might be a budgeting issue, but £100+/week isn't. They are all too often repeat offenders "stealing" the money instead. Otherwise people would quickly realise they have to do something about, but they don't.

HB was being paid direct to many claimants long before 2008 or 2003.

Shelter report Dec 2004

Even before any introduction of LHA, 50% had HB paid direct to them.

The biggest issue now is the backdating only goes back a month from the first date of claim. So now people have the HB application ready to go when a tenancy is signed.

nomadking 06-01-2019 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35978078)
The biggest issue now is the backdating only goes back a month from the first date of claim. So now people have the HB application ready to go when a tenancy is signed.

Incorrect and not related to UC. The one month backdating is for BEFORE the date of claim.
Citizen's Advice.

Quote:

You can get backdated Housing Benefit for one month if you can show you have a good reason for not claiming earlier, for example, you were given wrong advice. You also have to show that you were entitled to Housing Benefit throughout the period of backdating – that you were paying rent, and your income was low enough.

denphone 11-01-2019 07:36

Benefits freeze likely to end in 2020, says Amber Rudd.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ays-amber-rudd

Quote:

Amber Rudd suggested the benefits freeze, which was introduced by the former chancellor George Osborne in 2015, may not be continued when it becomes due for renewal in 2020.
U-turn on two-child cap on benefit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46827301

Quote:

The work and pensions secretary has ditched plans to extend a benefits cap on families of more than two children.
Quote:

Amber Rudd said those with children born before the system was introduced would remain exempt, as she aimed to ensure it was "compassionate and fair".

Mr K 11-01-2019 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35978790)
Benefits freeze likely to end in 2020, says Amber Rudd.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ays-amber-rudd

U-turn on two-child cap on benefit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46827301

The Govt. seem to be making a lot of concessions this week for some reason...:rolleyes:

denphone 11-01-2019 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35978795)
The Govt. seem to be making a lot of concessions this week for some reason...:rolleyes:

You are getting rather cynical in your old age Mr K.;)