Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Sky Box isn't turning on (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33654098)

CHiLL 14-08-2009 21:24

Sky Box isn't turning on

I'll start from the beginning.

The Sky box and satellite dish are both around 10 years old. (The box is made by Amstrad) It's worked fine for all those years.

We received our new Sky viewing card, and changed it.

We followed the instructions provided on the leaflet and the TV. (On for at least 24 hours, and change it while the green light is on)

Sky worked fine for a couple of days, and then we went away for a week.

We came back earlier today, and have recently tried viewing Sky. At first, it would come on, but after about a minute, the picture would get stuck, but sound would still carry on. We couldn't use the menu functions, change channel, or do anything apart from turn it off at the wall.

We thought it might be the new card, so we put the old one back in, and we still have the same problems.

Can we get a new free Sky box?

webcrawler2050 14-08-2009 22:55

Re: Sky Box isn't turning on

How old is the box? If it's less than 12 months, then yes an engineer will be required..

Ben B 14-08-2009 23:02

Try unplugging the box, hold Back Up and plug it back in still holding back up until an update message comes on screen. Let it update and see what happens. Are you paying insurance for the box cause if not Sky will charge you a £65 call out charge.

Jon T 14-08-2009 23:20

As it's an old Amstrad box then i'd say that the PSU section of the box has gone. Basically the capacitors on the PSU board blow(if you know what your looking for, check for domed tops on all the electrolytic capacitors).

www.satcure.co.uk used to provide kits to fix boxes with this issue, perhaps they still do.

arcamalpha2004 15-08-2009 10:22

10 Years? thats not bad mileage ;)
There is the facility to contact sky on their website.
Through my own experience with a similar issue I contacted sky by email saying that they should cancel the subscription as I was not able to enjoy the programmes through the existing fault and I had no extended cover on the box, it was over 12 months old.
They replied a day later with the offer of a free engineer visit to look at the problem and if needed replace free of charge the sky plus box, which they did, both parties myself and sky happy ;)
Good luck.

CHiLL 15-08-2009 12:07

The Sky box is connecting to the TV through the Aerial out socket, into the TVs Aerial in. I have changed the connection to a SCART lead, and that has the same problems. So that means that it isn't the output causing problems.

The old Sky viewing card does the same thing, so its not the card.

Sky are trying to charge £65 for a call out, and possibly more if they say we need a new box.

I'm not the bill payer, I'm posting on behalf of, so information isn't steady.

We are looking at other TV solutions, and considering cancelling Sky.

Questions: We live in an area which can't get Virgin Fibre Optic.

1. Can we still get Virgin Digital TV? (through a standard copper telephone line)

2. Will Virgin ever Fibre Optic this housing estate?

Paul K 15-08-2009 12:27

£65 isn't bad, the full price of the box is much more. If you tell sky you are cancelling due to the box failure they may try to reach a compromise but if VM haven't fibred the area then you won't be going with them any time soon. Don't tell Sky that though if you call them, tell them you are being quoted for a VM install and really don't want to move but don't see any option. 10 years is not bad at all for a failure, ours just went and the cheaper option for us was upgrade to HD for approx £70 for new box and install etc.

Ben B 15-08-2009 14:40

Since you're not in a contract just threaten to leave them and they should be able to sort it out for you for nothing. When a relative of mine left sky they were quoted all sorts, free Sky+ box etc. You're best of ringing on a Thursday apparently as it's when all the offers are given out for customers wanting to leave, so i've seen on other forums.